Demodex Mange

midwifemama11

Aug 14, 2011
To the OP, ivermectin is the name of the medication, the name on the bottle is just the brand name, thats all. Also, the hair loss is completely normal progression of this type of mange. It often recurrs and needs continued treatment until he has several negative skin scrapings. Colloidal silver applied topically also does wonders.

Demodex mites and the tendency for certain breeds to sucumb to them is NOT PART OF BEING A PUPPY. They get them only from their mother and it is an inherited trait. Often breeders are aware of this and continue to breed in order to make money, not taking into account that they are passing along sub-par genetic lines, often the case with puppy stores and back yard breeders. Bulldog breeds are more likely to inherit this than many other breeds but I want you to understand that this is not something that is just part of being a puppy, it is inferior genetic lineage and poor breeding practices.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i was wondering how the little fella was doing now? i hope he got better

Einstein the Great

Jun 14, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Bulldog(s) Names
Einstein
Hope he is feeling better! Sorry I'm so late but Einstein too had demodectic mange when he was puppy. The vet put him on Promeris right away and warned us of the side effects. And it really affected him. He would always vomit the night we put it on him (not sure if it was just stress of putting it on him because he acted like he hated it) and the next one or two days he would be very lethargic. We only used it for a short while but it did clear up his mites. Hope we never have to go through that again. I hated that it made him sick. Hope Napoleon only has to do this once too!

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,
I had started a thread here also a few months ago about this same issue.
So as someone who has gone through it, I can tell you my story.
Others have already posted about the same information regarding ivermectin.
ALL dogs have mites which cause mange. The problem is that for some dogs the mites get out of control. Sometimes due to low immune system, which is why many puppies get it as the immune system is changing and developing. The puppy gets immunities from mom that are effective until about 6-8 weeks old which is when puppy shots start. This transitional period is when exagerated conditons can occur.
Now mange can occur in older dogs as well, and Ivermectin is the prefered treatment. There are a few breeds of dogs that CAN NOT TAKE IVERMECTIN, such a collies and a few others. The ivermectin passes through the blood barrier in the brain and gets into the brain and causes death.
Bulldogs are not prone to that condition.

The other treatment that I use for DM is to use a special shampoo to kill and treat and surface mites. I believe the product is a benzo-pyroxide based?
My puppy got DM and it took several weeks to revers the conditions and her hair coat to start growing back in. Now 3 months later, her coat is beautiful and NO signs she ever had it.
Oh, BTW, 80-90% of dogs that get it clear up on their own with no treatment.

Good Day~

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Hello,
I had started a thread here also a few months ago about this same issue.
So as someone who has gone through it, I can tell you my story.
Others have already posted about the same information regarding ivermectin.
ALL dogs have mites which cause mange. The problem is that for some dogs the mites get out of control. Sometimes due to low immune system, which is why many puppies get it as the immune system is changing and developing. The puppy gets immunities from mom that are effective until about 6-8 weeks old which is when puppy shots start. This transitional period is when exagerated conditons can occur.
Now mange can occur in older dogs as well, and Ivermectin is the prefered treatment. There are a few breeds of dogs that CAN NOT TAKE IVERMECTIN, such a collies and a few others. The ivermectin passes through the blood barrier in the brain and gets into the brain and causes death.
Bulldogs are not prone to that condition.

The other treatment that I use for DM is to use a special shampoo to kill and treat and surface mites. I believe the product is a benzo-pyroxide based?
My puppy got DM and it took several weeks to revers the conditions and her hair coat to start growing back in. Now 3 months later, her coat is beautiful and NO signs she ever had it.
Oh, BTW, 80-90% of dogs that get it clear up on their own with no treatment.

Good Day~

This is very good information! Yes, all dogs have the mites. The thought that it might be a hereditary condition is out there but, after all of my research, I see a lot of evidence to support that it isn't hereditary as well. Yes, many will get over it on their own. The key is to watch and make sure it doesn't start to spread. That is when the meds are most important. I am finding that a little natural topical application as well as immune system support also helps for mild cases. My vet seconded this.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

"Yes, many will get over it on their own. The key is to watch and make sure it doesn't start to spread. That is when the meds are most important. I am finding that a little natural topical application as well as immune system support also helps for mild cases. My vet seconded this. "

I agree. Prevention and proactive is good medicine.

pdac1975

Mar 24, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Wallace (Wally)
Our wally just got diagnosed with this yesterday. He had a few bald spots on his paws and a red spot under his chin. They gave the option of medication or bringing him in for a "dip" We chose the dip because he seems to have such a sensitive stomach. His first appointment is tomorrow with 3 more scheduled every other week.
We'll see what happens...

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
[MENTION=2087]pdac1975[/MENTION], I would suggest you do some serious research on the dip.

If he only has a few spots, the vet didn't recommend a cream or shampoo? When we went through this with Gypsy, the vet really thought it best to just try a cream first and then, if it spread, to move on to something else. My mother's vet did the same for her only he gave her shampoo to try. Gypsy had about 6 spots ranging in size from a pea up to a quarter or so, and we ended up doing just fine without all the harsh meds/dips.

pdac1975

Mar 24, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Wallace (Wally)
Thanks,
Unfortunately we are sort of at the mercy of our vet here and he's already in for his first session today. i would have MUCH rather done a cream or something but it wasn't presented as an option. We were actually just in the process of looking for a new vet when this came up because we don't have complete confidence in this one. We wanted to take him in right away though because on top of the skin issues, one of his ears was read and swollen inside (turned out to be a bacterial yeast infection). I'm kind of out of the loop since I'm out of town. My wife has been taking care of these things so there may very well have been a good reason for the dip that I'm not aware of. Are there any side effects we should be aware of? I appreciate your comments very much.

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
My Uin is seven moths old now and we are dealing with demodex. We are currently treating Uni with antibiotics( can't remember the name) for a week and Ivermectin for two weeks with a check up and a scrapping after the two weeks. Prescribed as well, is a shampoo that I must bath her with twice a week. This is a pain because the spots are on her head, apparently the face is affected often, so I have to apply the soap and rinse, very carefully, not to get it in her eyes. I have read on the forums somewhere that some one tried a 50/50 mix of lavender oil and neem oil, I may try this because it sounds easier to apply. Or I also read that a product called NU-Stock works too. I also so read that it is a immune issue also, so I am giving her fish oil supplements to boost the immune system and to aid hair regrowth. I hope My little Uni shows some improvements soon....

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.