Demodex Mange

Melody Diaz

May 30, 2011
Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Napoleon
Hi guys,

I am new to the site and want to say first and foremost I love all the information that's available here and the nice people. The pictures are also great!!

My Napoleon was recently diagnosed with Demodectic Mange. We were given Ivermectin to treat with. I am wondering if anyone who has gone through this could please tell me what I can expect? I am giving such a small dose and gradually moving up but am wondering when can I expect to see some improvements in his skin/spots?

Thanks for all your help in advance. Have a good one!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi melody..welcome..I'm sorry I don't have any experience and advice for you..just wanted to welcome you! Have you posted an introduction? Everyone would love to meet you and your wonderful Napoleon!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome: Melody and Napoleon. Napoleon is a cutie! I can't answer about the mange, but someone else with experience will chime in and answer your questions I'm sure.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Hi Melody - I just went through this with my puppy Truman. Good news! Expect Napoleon to be better in no time - Invermectin in a very effective treatment for mange, which is so common in younger bullies. You will see hair regrowth and better looking fur in short order!

OP
M

Melody Diaz

May 30, 2011
Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Napoleon
Thanks guys!!

JAKEISGREAT: I did post an introduction a few minutes ago.

LariP: You were right! Thank you so much...so nice of you.

Sheshistory: Thank you for the reassurance. It has been about 10 days but am noticing more spots versus less. I do not expect miracles overnight but just wondered around when I can breathe a little. I am a worry wart.

Thanks again all.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I JUST saw it!! So nice to have you here! We are ALL worry warts! :lol: that's why we are here! To love a bully requires you to be a big old worry wart!

Jekyll Holland

Jun 7, 2011
Jekyll is 7 years old and had demodectic mange every year and had to go to the vet for it. Then my son who trains horses bought me a jar of NU-STOCK. I applied it to the affected areas and it worked wonders. It is very inexpensive and top of jar says cures red mange. He has been free from this for 2 years now and we use it on cuts and scrapes as well. my son got it at a tack store but it is available on the internet too. Hope this helps. He gave 6.99 for a large jar.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
We have been dealin w mange for a while now!! When lex was first diagnosed w it, we had caught it early and our vet gave us antibiotics and some cream. It cleared about about 3 weeks after. Well lex was shy of turning a yr and he got another outbreak from it, we did about 8 weeks of dips in the 8th he didn't show any signs of it we went in the next week for a scrap and he had some show up on the slide :(. So we are doin a flea med "forgot the name starts with a p" but it kills them we are gonna go back next week to see if the flea meds have helped, he has been on that for about a month and I can tell his hair is growing back and his face isn't as red and inflamed. Poor lex has had a bad case of this and I am so ready for it to be over with, cause next we will have to get his nostrils opened wider :/

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
We have been dealin w mange for a while now!! When lex was first diagnosed w it, we had caught it early and our vet gave us antibiotics and some cream. It cleared about about 3 weeks after. Well lex was shy of turning a yr and he got another outbreak from it, we did about 8 weeks of dips in the 8th he didn't show any signs of it we went in the next week for a scrap and he had some show up on the slide :(. So we are doin a flea med "forgot the name starts with a p" but it kills them we are gonna go back next week to see if the flea meds have helped, he has been on that for about a month and I can tell his hair is growing back and his face isn't as red and inflamed. Poor lex has had a bad case of this and I am so ready for it to be over with, cause next we will have to get his nostrils opened wider :/

Just curious, [MENTION=1041]lexterwayne[/MENTION] - is there a reason your vet has not tried Invermectin? To my knowledge, this is now the standard and most effective treatment of mange in most dogs.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
[MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION] this is the first ive heard of it, i was reading up on it just now and it says that ivermectin is sold has heartgard. lex has been on heartgard. so im not sure what the deal is. :blink:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Stig had mange too and cleared up within 2-3 weeks I think. The vet gave us more than a month's worth of Interceptor and we still have boxes of it left. Napoleon will be better in no time, it may help boosting him immune system by giving him good food. =)

Last edited:

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
[MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION] this is the first ive heard of it, i was reading up on it just now and it says that ivermectin is sold has heartgard. lex has been on heartgard. so im not sure what the deal is. :blink:

It may be worth asking about since nothing else has worked and it was very inexpensive! We did the Mitaban dips with Linus and, for Truman, we got Invermectin because the vet told us it's more effective, less expensive, and less chance of something reacting poorly. Basically it's the medicine given in Heartguard but in a significantly larger dose (still tolerated well by most breeds of dogs, but that's why they have you increase the dosing gradually) and gets rid of the mites in similar fashion to fleas.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
It may be worth asking about since nothing else has worked and it was very inexpensive! We did the Mitaban dips with Linus and, for Truman, we got Invermectin because the vet told us it's more effective, less expensive, and less chance of something reacting poorly. Basically it's the medicine given in Heartguard but in a significantly larger dose (still tolerated well by most breeds of dogs, but that's why they have you increase the dosing gradually) and gets rid of the mites in similar fashion to fleas.

Awesome I'm gonna try to get him in for a scrapping either end of the week or next week, and well go from there!! I honestly don't think he has anymore cause his hairs is growin back and he's not red and inflamed like he was. But if he does end up w some I will def ask!

OP
M

Melody Diaz

May 30, 2011
Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Napoleon
Jekyll is 7 years old and had demodectic mange every year and had to go to the vet for it. Then my son who trains horses bought me a jar of NU-STOCK. I applied it to the affected areas and it worked wonders. It is very inexpensive and top of jar says cures red mange. He has been free from this for 2 years now and we use it on cuts and scrapes as well. my son got it at a tack store but it is available on the internet too. Hope this helps. He gave 6.99 for a large jar.

Thanks so much for this information. I am definitely going to find this product and use it.

As for the dips....I too, was told when taking Napoleon to the vet that this method has become phased out in treating demodex mange. I was told it has proven to be more effective treating with Ivermectin. This is what we have been doing. I haven't seen results just yet but am sticking with it and going to see it through.

Thanks again guys!!

I appreciate EVERYONE who has chimed in on this thread. Your information and tips are greatly appreciated.

jortiz9758

Aug 22, 2010
Pembroke Pines Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
I treated Bruno with Ivermectin. I was wondering how much you are giving him and how frequent?? It helped with his mange but soon realized that taking the kibble away from him is what actually did the trick with the bumps he had on his body.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.