Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Demodex Mange

Doggie Boutique Owner Angelgirl's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Demodex Mange

So sorry to hear your little guy still tested positive for the mites! Belly had it but is all clear now. She looked horrible..had it pretty good on the side of her face and top of head @Luvin My Bullie told me about Promeris and I got a prescription from my mobile vet for it (regular vet was worthless) We did one treatment with it and it cleared her up in a few weeks and the hair grew back. It has Ivermectin in it and is another flea and tick treatment like frontline...unfortunately some dogs didn't handle it well so it's being taken off the market. Belly was just lethargic for a day.
    "A bulldog is like a potato chip, you can never have just one"

Pooper scooper
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Napoleon
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Angelgirl View Post
    So sorry to hear your little guy still tested positive for the mites! Belly had it but is all clear now. She looked horrible..had it pretty good on the side of her face and top of head @Luvin My Bullie told me about Promeris and I got a prescription from my mobile vet for it (regular vet was worthless) We did one treatment with it and it cleared her up in a few weeks and the hair grew back. It has Ivermectin in it and is another flea and tick treatment like frontline...unfortunately some dogs didn't handle it well so it's being taken off the market. Belly was just lethargic for a day.
    I will definitely look into this. Thank you somuch for the feedback!

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@Melody Diaz how is your pup doing?? When you posted this, I did not have experience but I sure do now!! My girl also got it but it was only about 6 or so small spots. The vet gave me a cream but it made her skin bleed so I changed to her diet to raw and started using a mixture of 50/50 lavender oil and neem oil and it went away! The hair was growing back and then she got sick and had to go on an antibiotic and now it has flared back up so back to square one. I have heard lots of good things about Nu Stock as someone mentioned. I hope your dog is in the clear!

Pooper scooper
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Napoleon
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GatorRay View Post
    @Melody Diaz how is your pup doing?? When you posted this, I did not have experience but I sure do now!! My girl also got it but it was only about 6 or so small spots. The vet gave me a cream but it made her skin bleed so I changed to her diet to raw and started using a mixture of 50/50 lavender oil and neem oil and it went away! The hair was growing back and then she got sick and had to go on an antibiotic and now it has flared back up so back to square one. I have heard lots of good things about Nu Stock as someone mentioned. I hope your dog is in the clear!

Hi GatorRay -- thanks for asking about my Napoleon. He is actually doing MUCH better. I have neglected the site lately. Went on vacation and now getting ready for school!! After a unsuccessful run with Ivermectin my vet switched us to ProMeris. Out treatment was three times every two weeks. I was extremely skeptical about this method of treatment due to the bad articles I have read regarding ProMeris and it recently being discontinued but thankfully, it has worked!!! He no longer has spots and I am confident we are done with Demodex. Hopefully for good! I wanted to add that I switched to Fromm 4 Star and started giving Grizzly Salmon Oil with each meal about 3 months ago and most recently started giving Solid Gold Seal Meal this past week. I am doing all I can to ensure his immunity stays strong as a weakened or compromised immune system is connected to Demodex.

I am sorry to hear about your girl. It is so tough but stay with it and keep up on reading. In addition to this awesome website here -- there is a plethora of information out there. Keep me posted. Take care.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

i am late with this but im so glad things are better. I dont think you can do much more than you are doing. Im glad the promeris worked. The vet gave us a single dose of that for sarah and when i got online and read all the bad reports i threw it away and stick with frontline. im glad in this situation it worked well.

Seems like a good enough place to discuss this. My adopted bully, SLIM is recovering from demodex also. His last 2 scrapings were negative and his hair is all regrown but his white areas like his chin, jowels, chest and feet look red and he has puss filled lesions on his back and other areas. The are foul smelling when they ooze or are scratched at. The vet says that it is likely a secondary infection but she did not offer to culture it or anything :-/

She suggested peroxide and hibiclens baths and gave him an rx for 3 weeks of antibiotics.

I am a midwife and I know that in humans over use of antibiotics and antibacterials, like what she suggested bathing him in bi weekly, can cause an OVERGROWTH of bad bacteria and fungus, like YEAST that seems to be common in bully breeds. He is on a high quality food BUT it does have potatoes in it :-/
    I am supplementing him with apple cider vinegar twice a day in water but I'd really like to know if anyone here has some suggestions for more natural treatments that might help him restore his natural flora so that he is not so succeptible to these secondary infections. Also, does anyone here have suggestions for natural ways to boost his immune system? I wouldn't let them give him the rabies vaccine this week. I'm thinking of continuing the colloidal silver treatments and topical application to his puss filled lesions. I saw the Nu-Stock recommended as well, I'm going to stop by the feed store this week.

To the OP, ivermectin is the name of the medication, the name on the bottle is just the brand name, thats all. Also, the hair loss is completely normal progression of this type of mange. It often recurrs and needs continued treatment until he has several negative skin scrapings. Colloidal silver applied topically also does wonders.

Demodex mites and the tendency for certain breeds to sucumb to them is NOT PART OF BEING A PUPPY. They get them only from their mother and it is an inherited trait. Often breeders are aware of this and continue to breed in order to make money, not taking into account that they are passing along sub-par genetic lines, often the case with puppy stores and back yard breeders. Bulldog breeds are more likely to inherit this than many other breeds but I want you to understand that this is not something that is just part of being a puppy, it is inferior genetic lineage and poor breeding practices.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

i was wondering how the little fella was doing now? i hope he got better

Me too

Wrinkle Wiper Einstein the Great's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Einstein
    Likes (Received)

Hope he is feeling better! Sorry I'm so late but Einstein too had demodectic mange when he was puppy. The vet put him on Promeris right away and warned us of the side effects. And it really affected him. He would always vomit the night we put it on him (not sure if it was just stress of putting it on him because he acted like he hated it) and the next one or two days he would be very lethargic. We only used it for a short while but it did clear up his mites. Hope we never have to go through that again. I hated that it made him sick. Hope Napoleon only has to do this once too!

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    By many names depending on the situation?
    Likes (Received)

Hello,
    I had started a thread here also a few months ago about this same issue.
    So as someone who has gone through it, I can tell you my story.
    Others have already posted about the same information regarding ivermectin.
    ALL dogs have mites which cause mange. The problem is that for some dogs the mites get out of control. Sometimes due to low immune system, which is why many puppies get it as the immune system is changing and developing. The puppy gets immunities from mom that are effective until about 6-8 weeks old which is when puppy shots start. This transitional period is when exagerated conditons can occur.
    Now mange can occur in older dogs as well, and Ivermectin is the prefered treatment. There are a few breeds of dogs that CAN NOT TAKE IVERMECTIN, such a collies and a few others. The ivermectin passes through the blood barrier in the brain and gets into the brain and causes death.
    Bulldogs are not prone to that condition.

The other treatment that I use for DM is to use a special shampoo to kill and treat and surface mites. I believe the product is a benzo-pyroxide based?
    My puppy got DM and it took several weeks to revers the conditions and her hair coat to start growing back in. Now 3 months later, her coat is beautiful and NO signs she ever had it.
    Oh, BTW, 80-90% of dogs that get it clear up on their own with no treatment.

Good Day~
    B&B~ABEBD

"Opinions are FREE, Suggestions are TRUSTED, Advice is RESPECTED" bwl @2013

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ABEBD View Post
    Hello,
    I had started a thread here also a few months ago about this same issue.
    So as someone who has gone through it, I can tell you my story.
    Others have already posted about the same information regarding ivermectin.
    ALL dogs have mites which cause mange. The problem is that for some dogs the mites get out of control. Sometimes due to low immune system, which is why many puppies get it as the immune system is changing and developing. The puppy gets immunities from mom that are effective until about 6-8 weeks old which is when puppy shots start. This transitional period is when exagerated conditons can occur.
    Now mange can occur in older dogs as well, and Ivermectin is the prefered treatment. There are a few breeds of dogs that CAN NOT TAKE IVERMECTIN, such a collies and a few others. The ivermectin passes through the blood barrier in the brain and gets into the brain and causes death.
    Bulldogs are not prone to that condition.

The other treatment that I use for DM is to use a special shampoo to kill and treat and surface mites. I believe the product is a benzo-pyroxide based?
    My puppy got DM and it took several weeks to revers the conditions and her hair coat to start growing back in. Now 3 months later, her coat is beautiful and NO signs she ever had it.
    Oh, BTW, 80-90% of dogs that get it clear up on their own with no treatment.

Good Day~
    This is very good information! Yes, all dogs have the mites. The thought that it might be a hereditary condition is out there but, after all of my research, I see a lot of evidence to support that it isn't hereditary as well. Yes, many will get over it on their own. The key is to watch and make sure it doesn't start to spread. That is when the meds are most important. I am finding that a little natural topical application as well as immune system support also helps for mild cases. My vet seconded this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads