Seasonal Allergies--HELP!!

kbreseman

Jun 25, 2010
Hawley, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy and Bella
Ok my two bullies (mother/daughter) both suffer from seasonal allergies during the Spring/Summer months. It doesn't help matters that we live in Texas and it gets hotter than hot down here some days-lol! I've read some of the other post regarding possibly changing their food to help with their allergies, but must admit at this point I am totally confused:confused: as to what to try them on. Right now I've got them on IAMS proactive lamb/rice for sensitive skin but about 30 days I am having to take them in for sterroid shots (which I don't like) but I also don't like having to give them benedryl to keep them from scratching themselves into a frenzy and raw. We're pretty sure it's seasonal not food because it only occurs during the Spring/Summer months and then pretty much is taken care of with a sterroid shot for 30 days where as if it was food allergy it wouldn't be. Any suggestions???

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Well Iams is not a very good food for bullies. You would want to try a grain and corn free food. Sam used to have allergies bad, we've been fighting them for a while but I finally found what works and he looks great now. You can even see the change on the before and after dog food page right here on the site. I feed Samson Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Salmon. The salmon is great for their skin and its a pretty good food in general. He gets 2 cups a day, the evening cup is mixed with salmon oil and a heaping spoon full of Wellness 95% canned salmon. The doctor told me to add the salmon oil because it helps SO much with his skin, I was afraid at first it would be too much salmon oil but my vet said it would be good. Then the vet prescribed the antihistamine atarax. His allergies do flare up doing certain times of the year but not bad at all anymore now that we have found what works for him.

Kikiwhoa21

Jun 16, 2010
Wonderland, Texas!
Bulldog(s) Names
Chev Chelios && Faith
I would trying switching their food. Sometimes ingredients in the food will trigger the allergies. Chelios didn't have allergies problems either until spring started rolling in. We would take him to the vet for a shot but that didn't work. So we were having to give him prednizone pills at least twice to three times a day. We changed his food a few times trying to find the right kind. We went to Pedigree to Royal Canin (which made his allergies worst.) We then tried Blue Buffalo brand the salmon && sweet potato kind. && it has worked wonders! Chelios LoVeS the food! He no longer takes his pills, nor have we had a problem with his allergies since! I would deff recommend the brand! It is a bit pricey but well worth it since he no longer has ANY signs of ichy allergies! ;)

emangan

May 21, 2010
Hi, what does vet suggest ? And have you considered having allergy test done?? I have one that has no food allergies but is allergic to everything else food can play a part in allergies but to have test done can resolve your frustration and hopefully get symptoms treated.

mactaz35

Jul 12, 2010
Dallas, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
TAZ (age 4) and Gracie (18mo) (allie died @ age 3 from anaphylaxis to her vacinations)
My gracie has seasonal allergies as well. from March through Oct. We live in GA and it starts get warm in March and goes all the way into Oct. She started with her itching @ 5mo old, so the vet said it prob wasn't food allergies even though we went ahead and put her on lamb and rice diet then. Although she was eating some people food too, it never helped at all. She just itches herself to death! The only think that helps really is the vetalog steroid injections. I have her on Royal Canin Bulldog food now and although it doesn't help with her itching, she never throws up mucous now and her tear drainages has disipated greatly, no more tear stains. Also with my Male, I don't have to clean out he wrinkles as ofter either on it. Although it's expensive it's well worth it. But I would still like to find something that would help more with the itching so I don't have to keep getting the injections. I just benedry 50mg 3x daily when the injection starts to where off till it stops working and I have to get another injection. I anyone knows any other things that can help with the seasonal allergies, please let me know!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I did a google search and this topic came up on page 3. Thought I would add to it, surprised I never posted in the original topic, actually!

While you may think that your English Bulldog's allergies are seasonal, triggered by pollens & such, the number one reason dogs GET allergies is because of a LOW IMMUNE SYSTEM. This is also a problem for many English Bulldog issues, such as fungus (like yeast), scabs, hives and many other medical issues.

This is why it is so important to feed an English Bulldog a very high quality, vitamin fortified food. This also includes treats and snacks!

Check out the dog food ratings: http://www.englishbulldognews.com/DogFoodAnalysis.html

By getting your bulldog on a healthy diet you can boost the immune system, and possibly even get rid of the allergies completely. If not, surely it will help tremendously.

A couple of other options to help besides a great dog food is adding fish oil for the skin and a supplement like NuVet Plus.

A small spoonful of canned pumpkin (not pie filling!) is also considered a 'super food'.

Change your dog's diet before you go to the extremes of getting an allergy shot workup, monthly pills or steriod injections. Many bullies are bred unhealthy and you may still have to resort to regular treatments, but many allergy suffers are almost cured completely on a new diet.

Good luck to you.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Our non-bully dog has seasonal pollen allergies, we just need to bathe her more often with the pollen hits. Also we have taken away plastics: plastic bowls, plastic toys etc. this seems to help

bumpme

Sep 21, 2010
Try skin-eze. Works wonders. It works for our bulldog who has bad allergies. I gave up on the steroids.

Most Reactions