Sir Chunk-a-lot sure likes to keep things interesting!

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
So, as some of you know, I had an appt to take Chunk to have the bumps on his chin looked at on Tuesday. We discussed various options for allergy testing and I'm not satisfied that I want to do all that just yet. Especially considering he has had them his whole life and during every season ... I can't help but think it's food related. So I'm actually switching foods at the moment to see how that goes. However, she did give him an antibiotic and we are keeping an eye to see if it works, if not in the first week then we will switch to another.

While we were there, we did his bloodwork and urine testing for his neuter. Well. His bloodwork came back perfect; his urine - not so much. It had white and red blood cells as well as epithelial cells (those are the ones that line the bladder) in it. We got these results Friday, so yesterday we went for sterile urine testing. (They guide a needle into his bladder for a clean urine sample then do a culture.). So now we wait to find out if it's a bladder infection (and what kind), or if not it could be related to the prostate issue that is the reason for his neuter.

Ahhhhhhhh!!! I just want him to be healthy. :( I know that's a ridiculous statement for a Bully mama but still; it kills me to keep finding problems! The biggest plus is that he is acting COMPLETELY fine. The vet asked, of course, is he going to the bathroom and drinking regularly. I said, "Yes. And part of 'regular' for Chunk is occasionally feeling like I have to pour the water down his throat and drag him outside to pee because he'd rather stay inside and play." She laughed of course, and said "Oh bullies are so funny and stubborn!". I love my vet and am so glad that she is so thorough. She also gives me every single option and explains all the pros/cons of each with every problem we have encountered.

As of now, we are waiting for the results from yesterday's test and still scheduled for neuter this Friday, the 10th. I guess my hope at this point is that the neuter makes a huge difference!!!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Hope everything is okay and this was all a fluke.....

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
believe me I understand.. keep a good thought I would think if he had a bladder infection you would have other signs.. thinking of you :pray:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Best wishes for the best outcome!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Hope everything is OK, we'll keep our paws crossed. Give him a big bully kiss and hug from all of us. Please keep us posted.

OP
Chunksmama

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks everyone!!! I'll definitely keep you all updated.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
yes please keep us updated and let us know how his tests come back.. the good thing is he is acting like his self, so thats always a good thing :)

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
It seems that if it isn't one thing, it is another with these guys huh? Let us know how the sterile urine test comes out. Hopefully, it isn't anything that will hold off the surgery. Poor Chunk! At least he isn't acting strange!

OP
Chunksmama

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi everyone ... So here is the latest on Chunk.

Saturday we did the sterile urine and it came back high in protein. :(. Being that the results were SO different from the first sample, she had the lab run that urine again and we brought yet another sample. the high protein could mean high blood pressure - which would be dangerous for the neuter.

Now, today he was still scheduled to be neutered. The tests came back again with high protein so we needed to do a blood pressure test before surgery to be safe. That was a fiasco in itself because the tech couldn't hear it manually, then used an automatic machine, got one BP and the machine died (she needed a series of 3). So I had to leave (to get to work) and let them do the rest in the operating room and they'd let me know the outcome. His BP was higher without me there, which they were pretty sure was because of nerves. (which I totally agree. He was obviously upset before I even left.)

So an hour or so later I talked to the tech and our vet and all was good to go for the surgery. About an hour later I received a call from the vet performing the surgery (he's the head guy; our vet wanted him to do the surgery because of his experience with bullies). Apparently after the first dose of anesthesia, Chunk threw up last nights dinner. :(. So to be safe they postponed the surgery.

So now we need to reschedule surgery, then do another urine test about a month after (to see if the protein is will high), then another ultrasound 6-8 weeks after the surgery (to make sure the neuter took care of the prostate). What a day! And Chunk still won't drink water so I've only given him a little kibble. My poor baby doggie.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Awwww man! Talk about stress..for both of you! His blood pressure would of course be elevated..with ALL that going on! My blood pressure is always higher when I JUST have to get my blood pressure checked! He needs to drink his water..poor boy! Sounds like you have a good vet..next time will be calmer and hopefully his protein gets better. I'm so sorry this was such a stressful day! Just love him tonight...and push the water..maybe he'd like ice cubes!

OP
Chunksmama

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
I just broke out the hose ... He didn't drink much but it's something!!! After about 15 mins, if he keeps the water down I can FINALLY feed him! Yay!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Sorry about the crappy day you both had. But I'm very thankful that your vets are showing that Chunk's health is their priority.

But for the water issue, I added a couple of spoonfuls of chicken broth in Stig's water when I had to keep him hydrated due to diarrhea. It worked really well and he loved it.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Awww I just read all of this. What an ordeal. I hope he feels better soon and you find out what is going on.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.