allergy

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
annie has been scratching so bad that i took her to the vet ,she required antibiotics and antihistamines,didnt know if it was food related/frontline/contact,yesterday i started an elimination trial,my daughter has taken my cat as dogs can be allergic to cat saliva,also i have kept her out of all carpeted areas shes confined to the kitchen and conservatory,every morning that she has awoken from sleep in fact whenever she has slept on the carpet she has scratched herself raw,this is her first morning that she has had no contact with the carpets or the cat ,usually she scratches for at least 15 mins,rubs her body against walls ,fencing obviously trying to scratch her itching,this morning no scratching at all,her stomache isnt red and bleeding ,not hot to the touch,shes not lethargic with bags under her eyes through lack of sleep as she constantly scratches through the night,all in all the difference is massive,fingers crossed this has been the cause of her allergy,if she carries on itch free and i know its a big if,then i will reintroduce her to the carpets ,if she still remains itch free then i will reintroduce the cat,i pray that she will be allergy free,also no sneezing this morning which is a plus as she always manages to sneeze in my face:laugh:,i will keep you posted on this but for anyone who has a bully that has allergies ,if you have any wool carpets,bedding,rugs,cats then its certainly worth a try ,karen

NJBullyMommy

Apr 20, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (Bruty, Bru Bru, Brutus Maximus)
Oh goodness....I hope she feels better! I know my Brutus is allergic to almost everything in the air :p

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
There is someone here with a bully allergic to the wool carpets. Good luck. Poor girl! If it continues I would consider taking her to a vet dermatologist. I know you are so sad for her. :hug:

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
Well the other option is remove all carpets and put tile or hardwood floors in

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Exactly [MENTION=1041]lexterwayne[/MENTION]. I just figured it would be less expensive to see if she really is allergic to the carpets first.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
There is someone here with a bully allergic to the wool carpets. Good luck. Poor girl! If it continues I would consider taking her to a vet dermatologist. I know you are so sad for her. :hug:

That is [MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION]! Poor duke had lots of allergy problems..including wool! So sorry she feels so bad!

OP
karenben

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
thanks,her scratching is all but gone,for now anyway,as my cat as also moved out it may have been that the saliva and dander was the problem,im going to reintroduce carpets to annie just to see,but only when the redness has gone from her belly,karen

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Hi there.. yes Duke is so allergic to wool!!!!!!!!!!! and also some type of mold we had him allergy tested over a year ago.. We tried EVERYTHING.... allergy shots, food trials, antibitotics, special shampoos, topical steriods and I am probably forgetting a few things.. finally what we found that works and keeps everything at bay is we give Duke two Zrtec every other day ( one dose every 48 hours) and 10 mg ( 1/2 the normal dose ) of a very low dose steriod.. I am so against giving him the low dose steriod but without it he is just a wreck.. our dermatoligist spoke to us about quality of life.. with it he does not scratch and is a happy healthy dog.. and his face is clear.. as soon as we take it away he rips his face open and is so uncomfortable. he is on the lowest dose and also I have him down to every other day. Our vets dog also takes one and is 7 ?? so I just hope and pray his bloodwork keeps coming back good. We have him tested every 6 months. we also feed him really good food ( NVI beef formula ) and keep him very active.

I would exhaust all things first.. also try adding some fish oil to his diet.. I really feel for you.. :) Hang in there!!

OP
karenben

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
thanks for your replies.annie has been itch free today ,belly clearing up nice,armpits looking good so i thought id take her into the lounge which has carpet,settled down to watch fringe lol,annie came in and lay down at my feet,within 5 minutes she got up and started to scratch her belly!!!,so the carpet seems to be her trigger .even though she was on the carpet only 5 mins her belly immediatly went red and lumpy,took back to the kitchen washed her and applied acv,shes stopped itching now ,well just the occational scratch,now i will consider what to do,rip the carpets up but im not a big fan of hard floors especially in the uk where its nearly always cold,or another bully to keep her company,shes not left on her own all the time there is always someone knocking about in the kitchen and we have a conservatory leading off it so room isnt a problem,im just relieved we have found the trigger,fingers crossed she will continue to be itch free,karen

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Whew! At least it isn't the kitty. Will be an expensive fix but worth it. You could get some throw rugs to put around that might help with the cold. Something that ISN'T wool. OR you could consider just changing to a different type of carpet. Something synthetic maybe? You could probably get a few squares from the floor people to try out with her and see if any are hypoallergenic for her. You could also consider cork floors. They are supposed to be less "cold" than say tile or hardwood. Good luck and let us know if you find another solution!

LauraB

Feb 4, 2011
Reynoldsburg, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Poor Annie! It seems it is allergy week. I have been trying what you told me for Lola's feet. Vegas' mom Betty told me that it could be made worse by the duck NVI I tried Sunday. Still seems worse. So I am going back to Salmon and keeping up the vinegar.

Hang in there

OP
karenben

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
thanks people ,its a royal pain in the bum with allergies,i may let her live in the kitchen as we have a conservatory joined to it and get her a friend!!!,good excuse lol,i know its not her foos as you know im big on raw so she doesnt det any carbs which can be the culprit in allergies,most def the carpet,i will keep you posted on what i do,what a descision wood floors or baby bully!!!!,its a hard life lol,karen

S

Steff Martin

Always keep in mind that your child can be more effected from allergy than you.So if you feel that there is a problem with your kid,the allergy problem then keep your child away.But usually it does not happen.

OP
karenben

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
i think that annie is allergic to fishl ,ive reintroduced the carpets with not much difference,but last friday i gave her mackeral for her breakfast and within 10 minutes she had scratched herself raw and bloodied,ive been giving her omega fish oils every day also,ive discontinued all fish now and her itching is going down well,i will feed an egg a day for essential fats,shes still wearing tshirts though just in case she has a mad scratching fit,karen

David Crooks

Jun 24, 2011
Staph bacteri are the most cause in dogs in which skin becomes bacterial,which causes allergy.Bull dogs probably have more Bangor to get allergy.To avoid this from the beginning get a bath of your dog after two to three month regularly.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.