vaccination reaction

luvdogz

Apr 28, 2011
I do my own vaccinations and have done so for about 3 decades now - on many dogs. NOT ONCE have i had a dog react...............until now.

Had the classic reactions that you read about - and was fine in a couple of days.

anyone else have a reaction in their eb?:whew:

bullymommy2vinny

Apr 28, 2011
yes, my vinny had a reaction to the lepto portion of the distemper vaccine. He was so swullen you couldnt even see his eyes, and his lips were puffed up to his eyes. He also got hives all over his body. We had to take him in to get a steroid shot and give him benadryl for 2 days. :(

OP
L

luvdogz

Apr 28, 2011
yes, that's what my girl got - some hives and swollen lips and vomited and was lethargic. Wow. Now i'm afraid to give her the booster. Not sure the previous owners vaccinated her at all - except rabies.

I gave Pocket some allergy pills but by then she was already over it. Her reaction sounds pretty mild compared to Vinny. Did you vaccinate him again?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Luckily ... no we haven't had anything like this so far!!

bullymommy2vinny

Apr 28, 2011
He is only 5 months, so since that reaction he has had a rabies vax. The vet said next year for the booster they will leave out the Lepto portion of the distemper. Also we will give him benadryl before he gets the vaccines from now on . I would find out what was included in your dogs shots, so you can eliminate the lepto if it ever happens again. The vet said if we would continue to vax with that portion the reaction is worse and worse each time and always give shots in the morning so if you have to take the dog back in you dont have to do a late night vet call which can be expensive.
The people who distrubted the vaccines to my vet also reimbursed me my vet bill and the vaccine cost.

OP
L

luvdogz

Apr 28, 2011
He is only 5 months, so since that reaction he has had a rabies vax. The vet said next year for the booster they will leave out the Lepto portion of the distemper. Also we will give him benadryl before he gets the vaccines from now on . I would find out what was included in your dogs shots, so you can eliminate the lepto if it ever happens again. The vet said if we would continue to vax with that portion the reaction is worse and worse each time and always give shots in the morning so if you have to take the dog back in you dont have to do a late night vet call which can be expensive.
The people who distrubted the vaccines to my vet also reimbursed me my vet bill and the vaccine cost.

Oh thanks for the information on that - i will see about eliminating the lepto part. Also, will give some allergy meds before the shot. Good idea. LUckily they only say vax every 3 years so with this dog, i will adhere to that.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online