good cleanser for tail pockets

OP
L

luvdogz

Apr 28, 2011
[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] Chlorhexadine works on 99% of all known germs (not pseudamonus (spelling!) including fungal infections and MRSA.
It can sting eyes though so be careful on the tear crease.

see, i told you it was great stuff!!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
thanks for the info. I've also been buying the hexadene flush from the vets for Stig to clean out his wrinkles and tail pocket. It was also used to wipe his hives to prevent infection. I guess I'll be going to the local pharmacy to check out the other product to save some cash. =)

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Thank you for the information [MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious![/MENTION]

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
@kazzy220 the Hibiclens with 4% in should be diluted 1part Hibiclens to 10 parts water. I use Hibiscrub but its the same stuff....It's good but way to strong for their skin undiluted. It also should be put on left to dry then wiped again with a damp cloth to remove the residue :)

[MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious![/MENTION] would the diluted Hibiclens be good for Maggies tail pocket ... it smells quite bad and I'm thinking there could be yeast in there. We're currently cleaning with hydrogen peroxide, drying it and then I've got some ladies "yeast cream" (trying to be polite because this is a public forum but I'm sure you know what I mean!) and I put that in the yeast pocket twice a day. Been doing that for two days now and the smell didn't seem so bad this morning.

L

Lucy-licious

Yes [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] the Hibiclens would be good for that as it can kill yeast infections too :)
I would carry on with the yeast cream too :) until at least 4-5 days after the smell goes. Then maybe use the Hibiclens twice a week or so to try and prevent further infections. The main thing is to keep it as dry as you can though, yeast loves warm moist areas. Lucy got a yeast infection in her nose rope it's cleared up lovely, and the vet told us to make sure we dried it after we cleaned it and to use the yeast cream once or twice a week :)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Sarah has had tailpocket yeast i believe since ive had her. I do believe finding the right dog food does wonders for a yeasty tailpocket. Until then lindathedogsmaid has mentioned the apple cider vinegar and water mixture that i have been spraying on sarahs pocket and other areas and it seems to have helped it alot. If you need powder to keep it dry lotrimin af has a powder that has this wonderful small spout in the end of it that folds out and makes it easy to spray into the tailpocket should you need an antifungal powder in there. Also i just got a thing from entirely pets order site that has something called ChloraSeb that has ketoconazole and chlorhexidine both in it. Seems to come in a shampoo, spray, flush and wipes and i was thinking of trying it for sarahs yeast. Doesnt seem to be expensive either. I have used womens yeast cream and athletes foot cream also. Hope your bullys operation goes ok and they get better. Good luck.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.