good cleanser for tail pockets

luvdogz

Apr 28, 2011
We are getting a tail amputation done on our girl this coming Thursday. So the vet has had her on Baytril, Clavamox and an antiseptic skin wash until the surgery.

I love this cleanser. He charged me 30 for it but you can get it online for 15. There's also a stronger version that i got at Target - in the pharmacy section since it's a good cleanser. It's called Hibiclens and the active ingredient is Chlorhexidine Gluconate. The stuff the vet sold me is a solution of point 25 but the stuff from Target is 4 per cent. I mixed them together.

It's the first time i haven't been able to smell her pocket unless i'm right up in it (sorry for the visual)

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Hope all goes well with the surgery. Do they completely remove all of the tail? My bulldog BabyGirl has a swirly tail that seems to have sunk into her body and is causing her discomfort. I keep it clean but it is very tight and I feel bad for her and it looks like a tail amputation might be her only relief. Thanks for the info on the cleanser and I'll be sure to check my local Target. Please update us on the surgery. Thank You. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
We are getting a tail amputation done on our girl this coming Thursday. So the vet has had her on Baytril, Clavamox and an antiseptic skin wash until the surgery.

I love this cleanser. He charged me 30 for it but you can get it online for 15. There's also a stronger version that i got at Target - in the pharmacy section since it's a good cleanser. It's called Hibiclens and the active ingredient is Chlorhexidine Gluconate. The stuff the vet sold me is a solution of point 25 but the stuff from Target is 4 per cent. I mixed them together.

It's the first time i haven't been able to smell her pocket unless i'm right up in it (sorry for the visual)

So if I bought the stuff from Target ... what would I dilute it with if that's 4% and the vet wanted 0.25%??

OP
L

luvdogz

Apr 28, 2011
So if I bought the stuff from Target ... what would I dilute it with if that's 4% and the vet wanted 0.25%??

Well, i think what i said is misleading - the point 25 cant be directly compared to the 4% i suspect. Or maybe it can but I'm sure you can use the Hibiclens directly without dilution. It does have a pink dye to it so that's something to consider. Maybe that's why it isn't suggested for routine cleaning of a pets' fur. Also, Not a product that's directly marketed to veterinarians. While the other product which is named Hexadene Flush is produced by or for Virbac Animal Health.

Remember, vets are recommending products that their veterinary product salesmen are selling to them. Hibiclens is a cleanser probably marketed to human hospitals. I won't buy the Hexadene Flush anymore though - there's a lot of water in it and a great fragrance so you're probably paying for that. The Hibiclens is probably a much better solution - and it's not cheap.

anyway, you can further research the product on hibiclens.com

OP
L

luvdogz

Apr 28, 2011
Also, i apply the solution, wait a couple minutes then wipe out with warm water and then wipe dry so it's not a strong application no matter what.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Well, i think what i said is misleading - the point 25 cant be directly compared to the 4% i suspect. Or maybe it can but I'm sure you can use the Hibiclens directly without dilution. It does have a pink dye to it so that's something to consider. Maybe that's why it isn't suggested for routine cleaning of a pets' fur. Also, Not a product that's directly marketed to veterinarians. While the other product which is named Hexadene Flush is produced by or for Virbac Animal Health.

Remember, vets are recommending products that their veterinary product salesmen are selling to them. Hibiclens is a cleanser probably marketed to human hospitals. I won't buy the Hexadene Flush anymore though - there's a lot of water in it and a great fragrance so you're probably paying for that. The Hibiclens is probably a much better solution - and it's not cheap.

anyway, you can further research the product on hibiclens.com

Thanks for the info .. good to know. We're having some problems with Maggie's tail pocket ... first time in three years!!!! Looks slightly sore and defintiely smelly. So I'm cleaning it with peroxide, drying thoroughly and putting Neosporin on it for the moment. She has stopped her butt spins on the carpet since we discovered it yesterday, and really doesn't seem to be bothering her as much. But was definitely interested in a really good cleaner for that area if we are about to have problems in the future!

OP
L

luvdogz

Apr 28, 2011
Fontana - i don't know exactly what they do really - i think i'm going to ask them to keep the part they removed so i can see it. I'm curious what exactly it will look like. My husband thinks that's gross - i think it's interesting. LOL

OP
L

luvdogz

Apr 28, 2011
Is this something I should be watching for? Vinny doesnt have a tail ?

Look just above the rectum for a cavity. In my case, the tail area looks odd - like a Cinnabun. His tail is still inside his skin. And the odor if not cleaned regulary, is nauseating. English Bulldogs should have tails of some sort.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I use Chlorhexidine wipes. Same thing only on a wipe other than a liquid cleaner. I also use it on their faces (Gypsy not so much) instead of the Mal-A-Ket wipes. LOVE THAT STUFF! Works on sooo many things including yeasty ropes and acne.

OP
L

luvdogz

Apr 28, 2011
Do the tail pocket/tail issues (like, serious issues that call for amputation) generally become a problem as they age or is it common with all ages?

this is my first and only experience with a tail pocket and hopefully my last (can't afford it) but in my dogs' case i know the previous owners had her into the vet a year ago with a tail pocket abscess - they spent about 600 to help her. So i'm sure that this dog has had a problem since birth. I suspect they weren't cleaning it out well and often and it built up.

She's 3 years old now - i've only had her for 6 weeks. I would think that a tail pocket is something that is pretty much there at birth.

L

Lucy-licious

[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] the Hibiclens with 4% in should be diluted 1part Hibiclens to 10 parts water. I use Hibiscrub but its the same stuff....It's good but way to strong for their skin undiluted. It also should be put on left to dry then wiped again with a damp cloth to remove the residue :)

Chlorhexadine works on 99% of all known germs (not pseudamonus (spelling!) including fungal infections and MRSA.
It can sting eyes though so be careful on the tear crease.

OP
L

luvdogz

Apr 28, 2011
thanks Lucy. Yes, i guess when you use Hibiclens in other contexts, you are using water too - like on a wound or cleaning your hands. Putting it in the pocket of a bulldog is putting it on straight ........... So as you said, it should be diluted first before application. thanks for the clarification.

Luckily, i am out of that world now now that i've had the amputation.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online