Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
Ok, I am not really sure where I was suppose to post this. Matilda is now 5 months and I know her first heat is around 6 months. My question is, what are the signs of her going into heat(besides the boy dogs trying to get in my backyard). Do I need to put those panties on her?? Any ifo will be helpful. This is my first intact female.

James3900

May 26, 2011
Svebolle, Vestsjalland, Denmark, Denmark
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella and Neelix
Hi

I notice it on Bella when she swells up and of course starts to bleed, I have 3 female dogs and the first time they came in to heat they all bled very heavy. I used the pants but trying to get a pair that will fit a bulldog can be very hard so I had a pair that was custom made for her from a local Danish woman we know here.

James

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Well, BabyGirl started her first heat at 5 months. Her hoo-hoo started to swell and look puffy. Her first heat was the heaviest and she bled on and off. I just kept her confined to her pen and washed her bedding everyday. I let her go out in the yard by herself when she had to do her business. My boys (only one is neutered) go crazy so I have to keep them away (which is actually the hardest part really) from her. Her appetite seemed diminished and was a little melancholy but otherwise she was alright. It lasted 3 weeks, tapering off in the last week. The last few heats have been much lighter and the boys don't seem to get as crazy and for that I'm grateful.

The first time I went to the pet store to buy her those dog panties, but she is too chubby and they just slid off her. You should look into those "dog/pet diaper suspenders" on the internet. Some people claim to make their own out of kid suspenders. I've also heard of using pull-up type diapers and masking tape. You can search for how-to videos like "How to: Convert a Baby Diaper to Dog Diaper." For right now I just let BabyGirl "go commando" but she's not due to go into heat till August.:blush2:

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I have never had an intact female. Out of curiosity, how often do they go into heat? Gypsy will be spayed at 6 months. Keep your fingers crossed she doesn't go into heat before then!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
[MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] I believe every six months. Vets will spay even while in heat but costs more. Extra swelling and bleeding during that time makes it more complicated.

Pebblesmom

Apr 21, 2010
I bought panties at petsmart, they Velcro on the sides and have a hole for the tail. I think they came in a two pack and are cloth, washable and reusable. Pebbles weighs just over 60 pounds and the large fit her perfect.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I always spay my girls! Many years ago we had a litter of dobie pups! The whole heat thing is a royal pain. I don't know why you deal with it..unless of course you want the cutest puppies in the world! Even then..not for me!

OP
Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] If course!!! Who wouldn't want cute puppies?

My hubby asked to let her have at least one litter before we ge her fixed. We are not doing it for the money or because we want a free puppy. Of course I do plan on keeping one of her daughters when she does. I am waiting for her 3rd cycle before breeding her. I have a guy who is already interested in her when she is of age. It is Chubbs dad.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] If course!!! Who wouldn't want cute puppies?

My hubby asked to let her have at least one litter before we ge her fixed. We are not doing it for the money or because we want a free puppy. Of course I do plan on keeping one of her daughters when she does. I am waiting for her 3rd cycle before breeding her. I have a guy who is already interested in her when she is of age. It is Chubbs dad.

Oooh..an "arranged" marriage! :lol: hope your litter has girls. Jake had 6 males in his!

OP
Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oooh..an "arranged" marriage! :lol: hope your litter has girls. Jake had 6 males in his!

Oh, wow!!! That is alot of boy babies!! Matilda had only 1 sis and 1 brother in her family.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.