DIARRHEA again . . . .HELP!

sharon white

Apr 14, 2010
I'm not sure where to post this. I recently discovered that I am gluten intolerant. This prompted my to wonder if dogs could also have this problem. Yes they can . research on Google for dog + gluten intolerance. There is a lot of info out there.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh good, I am so glad that you have figurd out his problem. I bet he is happy now too, not having the runs so much. :)

Sharon that is interesting about the gluten intolerance, what are the symptoms/signs of it? This may be helpful to many who are struggling to figure out what foods to feed their "kids".

sharon white

Apr 14, 2010
Major symptoms are digestive problems, but the condition can cause a long list of other problems. Gluten intolerance interferes with the normal activity in the small intestines. including the utilization of the food. I have problems with wheat, barley, rye, oats and I suspect corn. Dogs can also have the same problems. I suggest you google dogs + gluten intolerance. There is a lot of good info out there.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
DIARRHEA again . . . . Help!

Hi -

Maximus loves ground Lamb and Sweet Potatoe, and it usually is his breakfast. He gobbles it up.
The ground Lamb is boiled, as is the sweet potatoe. I started him on it as a result of his Giardia,
it was recommended by the Veternarian in the ER. He looks very forward to it every day .....

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
HERE WE GO AGAIN ......The Diarrhea has Returned !

Ok, Friends, Here we go again ...........
Tonite, Maximus had another bought of terrible Diarrhea! I'm trying to figure this whole thing out.
He eats Lamb & Sweet Potatoe in the morning, doesn't touch his Dog food all day (coz he sleeps)
than has Lamb & Sweet Potatoe in the Evening, followed his Dog Food (FROMM Duck and Sweet Potatoe). All of a sudden, he ran to his Wee-Wee Pad and had horrible Diarrhea! The only thing I can attribute this episode to is the dog food. He did not and does not have loose stool during the day at all.
So I had to give him Anti-Diarrheal medication yet again and see what happens......I'm at my wits end with this. It looks like Max is going on a Bland Diet now for the entire Weekend.......

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hmmmmm, this is definately very frustrating! I wonder if having both at night is causing the tummy and diarhea?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh my you must be going out of your mind with this one. Just when you think you have it under control right? (I hope it is a quick fix for you both.) Like desert sky said maybe just too much at night? I dunno on this one, wish I could offer more help.:confused:

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Okay, look at this list....eats like he is starving, constant yellowish soft "fluffy" stools, loosing weight?

Ask your vet to do a TAMU blood test and go to EPI4dogs.com immediatly, if he has what I think he could die. My Bella got saved. I hope I am wrong, but if not I am glad I helped and if you need anything else, please contact me.

Aqualung

Feb 22, 2010
Long Island NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Stomper
I's say it's the Fromm food thats not agreeing with him..You said after he ate it he went right away..I'd stick tp one food till he gets over it..Skip the Froom food and see what happens

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Max's Diarrhea and his Dog Food. . . .

Well, all I can say is that I'm not entirely convinced that Max's Diarrhea is solely the fault of the dog food(s) he has been on. To date, he has been on the following Dog foods:
- Eukanuba
- Innova
-California Natural
-Fromm (3 varieties)
-Orijen

His stool has been "soft" with every dog food I have given him. He has had Puppy food, Adult food, Grain-Free Food and a Home-made Bland Diet of Rice, Sweet Potatoe and Hamburger or Chicken or Turkey. And I get the same results..........He has had four(4) fecals done testing for Giardia, and has been on 3 dosings of Panacur and Flagyl. The stool specimens come back negative for Giardia each time.

So, I'm going to have to agree with Leslie and say that it's not the Dog Food . . . . It's the Dog !
Max could very well have a Pancreatic insufficiency going on that is causing this ongoing problem.
So I'm going to have to have him tested and evaluated accordingly. I'll be sure to keep everyone
posted......

Kimrisa

Jun 20, 2010
Sounds like Maximus and Tuffy are kindred spirits. I know how frustrating it is trying to find the magic food to cure your pup of all his ailments. Since Tuffy has had soft poop on just about every food he's eaten I'm beginning to think it's him...not the food too!Case in point--the Natural Balance LID lamb and rice gave him horrible poops so I went back to Purina Lamb and Rice mixed in with the Perfect Form and he's back on track.

I agree with the others that perhaps you should go to a bland diet for a couple of days and then try him on another food. Maybe just give him a kibble and put the homemade lamb and rice on hold for a bit until you find the right food for him?

tinker

Mar 22, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Bonnie & Clyde
Re: Max's Diarrhea and his Dog Food. . . .

My female, Bonnie, has a problem when she eats grass. I try to make sure she doesn't eat any, but if she does, I do the ground beef and rice diet for a couple of days. My dogs normally eat Iams lamb and rice dry only. I have found with these guys that canned food is not a good thing. Hope this helps.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I had a similar problem with Linus when he was a puppy. He had chronic diarrhea. He was on a few rounds on antibiotics that cleared it up and it came back again once he was off. We determined it was an overgrowth of bacteria in his small intestine that was eventually cleared up by a combination of antibiotics and a food change (to Royal Canin) that put him on the road to a lasting recovery.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
7/23/10 UPDATE:

Well, Maximus yet again came back with a positive stool specimen for Giardia. This is the 3rd or 4th bought of Giardia he has had. The VET is not going to treat this at this time. He says Maximus is to young - He will be 7-Months on August 1st - and his Immune System is not fully developed -
Once he reaches 7-months, things should change. In the interim, I have changed his diet permanently to FROMM Surf & Turf Grain Free, and added Daily Probiotics & Digestive Enzymes,
and his stool has already improved. It will take up to 3-weeks for his stool to really be improved
after having daily Probiotics and the Digestive Enzymes.
Keep your fingers crossed...

(Once I figure out HOW to put Photos' on this site, I'll post some PICS of "Maximus" for everyone to see ! )

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.