1 Year Old Puppy Seems Lethargic

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Over the past few days, I've gotten a little concerned about Truman. He is eating, drinking, and pooping normally and doesn't show any signs of illness but he seems really tired all the time.

For example, I came home yesterday and he didn't even get up in his crate to wait for me to open the door, which he always does; he just laid there. I can't really remember the last time I saw him play.

I know bullies are lazy but Linus (5 years old) is more active than Truman lately so I'm wondering if this is something I need to be concerned about or perhaps this is a phase he's going through and maybe he's having a growth spurt?

I do not remember this is in either of my other bullies and Truman hasn't really had any changes in routine other than I am around more since I am not writing.

Any insights are appreciated!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Hmmm...maybe Truman is sensitive to the weather and temp changes? i know it's usually warm there, but has it been exceptionally warmer than usual in Phoenix? I noticed when we had a couple hot spells here in LA a few wks ago Tate was pretty lethargic also and slept more than usual. Hopefully it is nothing more serious than just some extra fatigue frm the weather?

BabeEnglishBulldog

Feb 17, 2011
He may have problems in the heart or something. A dog with heart problems always feels tired after a short walk because their heart pumps too much. Have you consulted your vet yet?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I was thinking about the weather and seasonal allergies too. Stig is also acting differently but not so much lethargic. For him it's new hives and breathing faster when sleeping. But it gotten better the past couple of days. Hopefully someone here will have a straightforward answer.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I don't think it is a heart problem - he doesn't get short of breath kind of tired, just sleepy tired.

I was thinking it might be the heat or that I am around more than normal so I am noticing how much he sleeps. I guess I will keep monitoring things and see how it goes...if I see another symptom, I might take him in but he just had his 1 year "well puppy" visit and was given a clean bill of health.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Didn't [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] have this with Vegas???? I think he finally got diagnosed with a double ear infection.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I don't think it is a heart problem - he doesn't get short of breath kind of tired, just sleepy tired.

I was thinking it might be the heat or that I am around more than normal so I am noticing how much he sleeps. I guess I will keep monitoring things and see how it goes...if I see another symptom, I might take him in but he just had his 1 year "well puppy" visit and was given a clean bill of health.

That's interesting b/c i also noticed that Tate sleeps "more" when i am home too...but it's probably his normal snoozing frequency...it's just that i'm home with him to observe it. I'm glad he was given a good health reading by the Vet...that's reassuring!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] did have this same post and it was an ear infection. I hope it isn't anything serious :(. Can you take his temp and see if it is high? I believe it should be about 101. Someone correct me if that is wrong.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
@KMARINO did have this same post and it was an ear infection. I hope it isn't anything serious :(. Can you take his temp and see if it is high? I believe it should be about 101. Someone correct me if that is wrong.

Yes, average is 101.

You just noticing how much he sleeps may be it. Although Stig can go non-stop in daycare, he sleeps all day when home and then gets hyper at night, even on the weekends. Has his daycare mentioned anything about him acting different?

Last edited:
OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
At his well puppy visit, which was less than a month ago, his ears were good and I haven't seen any issues with them so I don't think it is his ears. The daycare hasn't mentioned anything but I notice in the videos that he is not QUITE as wild as he used to be. He was super active as a baby, maybe he's just getting older?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Does not sound normal for a 1 year old. my Buddy boy is 2 and he still loves to play. i think I would consult your vet to get their opinion. just to be on the safe side.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Yeah, you guys are right. It might be an inner ear problem I can't see or smell or something else going on and since I get free vet visits, there's no reason not to just make sure. I think I'll get it checked out on Tuesday and continue to monitor for other symptoms. Thanks for being my sounding board! I will let you know what I find out!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Good recall [MENTION=770]Bella'sMom[/MENTION] [MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION], Vegas laid around for a week, he still ate and drank but I knew he was out of sorts. I had my nose buried in his ears sniffing several times. I even posted on this site he was just not acting normal but was not sick. I took him to the vet about 4 days after letting him sleep 22 hrs a day he had NO sick symptoms... and YES, he had an inner ear infection. NO ODOR, No scratching, rubbing of the ear. A few days on Otomax an antibiotic ear drop and he was back to his usual self. You might want to get it checked out sooner than you think.

Last edited:
OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Thanks everyone!

I have another symptom to report. So just today - after I got home from some errands - I noticed he had a runny nose. I haven't seen his nose run since he had kennel cough. He's still eating and drinking normally but still seems super tired. He does not have a cough.

A visit to the vet seems to be in order.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks everyone!

I have another symptom to report. So just today - after I got home from some errands - I noticed he had a runny nose. I haven't seen his nose run since he had kennel cough. He's still eating and drinking normally but still seems super tired. He does not have a cough.

A visit to the vet seems to be in order.

I hope all goes well. Will keep him in my thoughts. :heart: Baby T!

Most Reactions