Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Well, now that "Maximus" seems to have been cured of his Giardia, I'm finding that his stool are still very soft and mushy. So I'm now looking at a possible Food allergy. I'm trying to get Maximus on one-food, and I've decided to get him on Fromm's Duck & Sweet Potatoe. Currently, he is on Fromm's Puppy Gold, but he has been also being fed Innova and Canidae ALS Grain-Free. So I'm not sure if the other foods have caused a problem. I don't think the Fromm's would be the problem, but who knows.

The face Wrinkles are an ongoing problem as I find every day there seems to be a new Wrinkle that has become red and irritated. I clean them daily with Mal-A-Ket wipes, but Max has very deep wrinkles (He has not grown into his Face yet).....and it is difficult keeping them clean and dry. I still use the Desitin ointment in the wrinkles to keep them dry ....

I give Maximus daily Probiotics. Does anyone else use Probiotics? I'm hoping this supplement will help with any possible Allergies .

Any thoughts?

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
Seems as though you are taking all of the necessary steps to get your bully in optimum health. We are currently doing the same, trying new foods and other things. Our best luck so far has been avoderm. One of our bullies does NOT take food change well. We have to switch her over a course of about 3 weeks, whereas the others can be done in less than a week. Go figure. Part of your issue could be switching too fast, like it is with our little Jesse. I hate to switch again, but I am still not happy with the current choice. Was very happy with the Avoderm, so now we are trying to choose between sticking with that, or trying Fromm. Should I go with what I know they did well on, or go with a food I have heard wonderful things about. It is a tough choice.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Bulldog in my experience I have come to realize it is best to stick with what works for them but if you do switch keep us posted on how you like the fromm. It isnt local to us so I havent decided to try it just yet. Gonna go with avoderm next and see how that does witht he shedding and if it works for the shedding and allergies then I am staying with that I think. lol. We will see....
Maximus I dont know what else to say really, you are doing just about everything you can I think. Have you maybe tried gold bond bowder in the wrinkles? To me it is a pain to get in there and since our boy doesnt have a problem I havent used it much but that is what our breeder recommended. Maybe that would help more than desitan? As for the poops aside from sensitive stomach it could just be the food not agreeing I think. One of the foods we tried, maybe california natural I think gave loose stools for Cutty so we switched. Otherwise it wroked out ok with him in all other ways but without a firm poop life is hell. The reason we went with eagle pack hollistic is because they specify that it promotes a firm stool, which it has very well. We have no problems with this stuff other than their shedding that drives me nutso. Totw gave firm poops also for us but didnt agree with Cutty allergy wise. Dang bullies! My pug can eat any and all the above and his poops are always perfect.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I would also say sounds like you are doing everything right. Just yeah don't switch the foods too fast. For Samsons wrinkles I normally just clean them with a warm washcloth. I noticed the other day that the deep wrinkle that goes from his eyebrows down the middle of his head was irritated. I did what I read on here and clean it with peroxide everyday now, wait for it to at least mostly dry then put cornstarch/baby powder on it to keep it dry. Has worked great. Not sure I'd want to use the cornstarch/baby powder on face wrinkles though because I could see a problem getting that in their eyes or by their nose and then they'd breathe it in. Haven't tryed probiotics but I hear its great for their digestive system so let us know how that works for Maximus!

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
This is how someone told us to get the powder into the wrinkles on the face, especially the nose rope wrinkle. Use a ketchup bottle, hair dye bottle, or whatever you can get that has a tip on it (see image below), fill with powder. This way you can GENTLY squeeze the powder out of the tip and it will not poooof all over their faces.

I have been told gold bond too, but we tried that once and Molly went NUTZO. So we just use cornstarch, i think it is more effective than powder anyway. :)

Yes, I took this image from photobucket, cuz I don't want to have to call Lisa to take a photo of ours. We got just a clear plastic one at Walmart.
P1010014.jpg

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Good thinking why I never came up with that idea cracks me up. I have hair die bottles and never thought to try it. Interesting!!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online