my puppys hair is falling out what is this how to fix pics

THEMATT311

May 7, 2011
im switching her over slowly to grain free food blue wild puppy i hope it helps if anyone has this problem b4 please chime in i feel so bad but dont know what to do other then adding salmon oil and getting her the best food i can find she is losing hair in patches and i cant find any marks sores or anything on her skin to indicate that its mange please help.

b377dd60.jpg

d12b4d15.jpg

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Hi. First off, welcome to the forum! Now to your puppy ... I would take her to the vet. Mange doesn't always display sores, sometimes it can just be a couple patches of missing hair. It's a lot better to treat it earlier than later. If you wait too long, treatment can get really expensive.

OP
T

THEMATT311

May 7, 2011
I will when we can afford it that's def gonna happen does anyone know about how much a mange test can cost so I know what I need before hand also if it is what do I need to buy to fix it?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
When my Stig had mange, I think the skin test cost around $20, but the meds were really expensive because it was caught late. I think it cost us $600. Some owners here were able to get a simple ointment that would've been most likely $20 or so. That's why I highly recommend getting her to the vet quickly.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
These are from our friends on facebook:

Susan Abner: I tried logging in three times and couldn't. It's an alopecia related to lack of sunshine due to a long winter. The symptoms are hair loss on both sides like the picture shows. Get the dog out in the sun as much as possible and my vet also suggested 5mg. of melanin a day. Please convey what I said for me.
12 hours ago · Like
Ricky Rippeon: my bullie is doing the same thing loosing hair on both her sides theres no rashes or anything on her skin but her hair is thining out in certain areas im going to take her to the vet this weekend to make sure its nothing that can get more serious where do u get melanin is that given to you from the vet
2 hours ago · Like

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Samson is just getting over a skin infection called pyrodema but the spots were more bald then that. It started out as bald spots, no soars but sometimes got red when he was worked up and hot. Eventually his skin turned black in those spots just so u know what to look for if this is the same problem. IMO it doesn't really look like mange, have you had the pups thyroids checked?

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk

BabeEnglishBulldog

Feb 17, 2011
Changes in the dog's diet like changing their food they eat sometimes have effects like hair loss or alopecia. Their body is adjusting on the change which is normal but if the hair loss is severe then you must go back to the original food of the dog.

OP
T

THEMATT311

May 7, 2011
its not just that spot she is shedding way more then she should all over hopefully ill have the money to take her to the vet this weekend thanks for the advise keep it coming

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I am glad to hear you are taking her soon. Like everyone said, the earlier you catch the problem the less expensive it will be to treat. Good luck and keep us posted.

I have never seen a picture of your girl's face. If you get the chance, post one. I would love to see her wrinkles :)

OP
T

THEMATT311

May 7, 2011
Ok now she has what looks like a bunch of pimples on her belly and there are a bunch of dry scab like spots all over her back taking her to the vet 2marrow after work cue finally I'm gettin paid for a job I did two weeks ago my boss is kinda bad at collecting for jobs otherwise she would of been takEn last week I don't know what it is and it's gettin aggravating I'm from new Orleans and she gets outside time I'll let everyone know what the vets says I love this dog and the wait was killing me thanks for all the advice!

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Good luck and keep us posted what it turns out to be.

OP
T

THEMATT311

May 7, 2011
Ok update she went to the vet about ten days ago they said she had a allergic reaction they don't know what but she got a secondary infection from it and they put her on an antibiotic and medicated shampoo it was 70$ total the vistit and shampoo cost most of tht the meds were 8 dollars at walmart she looked dramatically better after the first bath crazy but true she takes two antibiotic pills a day and benedryl as needed about 4 a week not a big fan of it but it helped alot the first 2 days thank y'all so much mainly for makin me calm cus I was freaking out she is a ball of energy now well she's still lazy thanks again I'll put up pics soon. Didn't mean to ramble but if someone else has the same problem hopefully this helps till they can get to the vet

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh, YAY! I am so glad she is feeling better! What a bummer for her :(. Keep us posted and we are still waiting for those pics! :wink:

L

Lucy-licious

So happy her skin is clearing up with the meds. Most of us have problems with allergies.
Some worse than others, Food and pollen seem to be the most problematic. [MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION] has found that Annie is allergic to her wool carpet.
Trying to find out what Gypsy is allergic to would be my next step otherwise her reaction may re-occur after the meds are finished.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.