Is Biggie too big?!

FridayGt

Jan 22, 2011
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie
He is so adorable. I also like the picture with his belt. He looks like he is being soooo melodramatic! He looks to be more than 30 pounds to me but in a GREAT way!

[MENTION=1748]FridayGt[/MENTION] I put up a few pics of Jake from the park today..not the best..were with my cell phone..and I had my usual "issues"!! He went to vet friday and he weighs 30 lbs..so maybe you can compare! Biggie is Bigger!!! :)

OMG, OMG, OMG!!! We just got back from the vet... Biggie hits the 5 month mark next week. He tipped the scales at a massive chunky freaking 34.5 lbs!!! I'm actually kind of worried that its too big too soon. Were switching him off of totw and moving him to fromm surf and turf because his Poo was a little more loose than I would like, but the drop in protein will make me feel better too. We met another bulldog owner there who shows his dogs and he had a 9 month old female who was only 2lbs bigger than Biggie. He said she was a little small, but dang! Seeing them next to eachother really made it clear, Biggie is freaking huge. I'm going to send the breeder an email and ask her to remind me the weight of the breeding pair. Apart from that, I'm kind of worried. I almost feel like I should make an actual vet visit instead of just shots. Am I too worried?

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
lex has always been bigger than all his litter mates :) his mom was 40 lbs and dad weighed 85 lbs and was a rock... lex is 15 months and weighs 63 lbs and is rock solid as well, our vet says he is at a good weight.. i think biggie is just gonna be a big ol boy!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Yup, bullies come in all shapes and sizes. I think a good indication that his weight is ok is to see if he has a defined waste, plus you should be able to feel his ribs but not see them.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi [MENTION=1748]FridayGt[/MENTION] ..ohhh..I don't think that is so bad! 35 lbs...as long as he looks healthy! Like [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] said..their shape is more important! Some of jakes brothers weigh 10 lbs more than Jake! And they ARE brothers? Biggie is very handsome! I just finished the transition to Fromm surf and turf with Jake. I also thought his poo was too soft on his old food. It has gone very well and there is a real difference in his poo! :lol:.. He loves it and I just this week cut out his mid day meal also! I had been struggling with old food to increase the portion size enough to compensate for missing lunch. His poo would get really soft when i tried to go from 3/4 cup to 1 cup! With Fromm..I had no problems at all and Jake loves it. He now gets 1 1/3 cup twice a day..going to 1 1/2.. Don't panic..Biggie is just bigger!!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I wouldn't be too worried .. I agree totally with [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] ... look down on him and from the top you should be able to see a defined waist .. HOWEVER remember that he's still a baby so the definition won't be too great right now because of all that puppy fat. When you touch him you should be able to feel the ribs without having to push in really hard.

There are some big bullies and some petite bullies ... sounds and looks like your boy is going to be butterball shape and a big old boy!!! Enjoy him and stop worrying!!!

OP
FridayGt

FridayGt

Jan 22, 2011
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie
lex has always been bigger than all his litter mates :) his mom was 40 lbs and dad weighed 85 lbs and was a rock... lex is 15 months and weighs 63 lbs and is rock solid as well, our vet says he is at a good weight.. i think biggie is just gonna be a big ol boy!
OMG! I think I would really freak if he got that big! lol. Honestly, the size doesn't bother me much. The last dog I had was a pit bull/ mastiff mix. The bigger the dog it seems the bigger the sweetie and he has a whole lot of sweetie! lol. I just don't want him to outgrow the proper width and density bones for some nice strong legs.

Yup, bullies come in all shapes and sizes. I think a good indication that his weight is ok is to see if he has a defined waste, plus you should be able to feel his ribs but not see them.
Thanks for reminding me to look at his shape instead of his total weight number. His shape is great for his age I believe. Nice slender waist and a tiny little butt! Here's a picture, I freaking love this little guy!

Waist;
100_1040.jpg

How to properly smoosh a poonum;
100_1037.jpg

Hi [MENTION=1748]FridayGt[/MENTION] ..ohhh..I don't think that is so bad! 35 lbs...as long as he looks healthy! Like [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] said..their shape is more important! Some of jakes brothers weigh 10 lbs more than Jake! And they ARE brothers? Biggie is very handsome! I just finished the transition to Fromm surf and turf with Jake. I also thought his poo was too soft on his old food. It has gone very well and there is a real difference in his poo! :lol:.. He loves it and I just this week cut out his mid day meal also! I had been struggling with old food to increase the portion size enough to compensate for missing lunch. His poo would get really soft when i tried to go from 3/4 cup to 1 cup! With Fromm..I had no problems at all and Jake loves it. He now gets 1 1/3 cup twice a day..going to 1 1/2.. Don't panic..Biggie is just bigger!!

How is that switch going? I'm trying to do right by gradually changing the foods over, but it's hard when his previous food wanted double his new food daily. Me + Doggy Math = Danger! lol. I can't help but think he is not going to be happy at first! lol

On a side note, as a public service announcement, this is how we should all wake our Bullies up from a nappie. Spoiled little puppy... lol
IMAG0266.jpg

NJBullyMommy

Apr 20, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (Bruty, Bru Bru, Brutus Maximus)
@FridayGt, All bulldogs come in different shapes and sizes. Brutus has a very broad chest, is pretty long and is tall....he's 70 pounds and is beefy lol. He's very active too! Loves to run and jump around...my couch is feeling that pain lol. We noticed that when we switched from puppy food to adult food a lot of the puppy flub went away and he began to build muscle. Just because he is heavier doesn't mean he isn't healthy! :)

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I see the picture you took from above while he was eating, he looks perfect to me, defined waste and all. At Vegas's 1 year check up he weighed 63 and a couple of months ago for his 2 year check up he weighed 63. I think as long as he is on a good food-treat regiment he will grow like a pup should and then level out, as Vegas did.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=1748]FridayGt[/MENTION] ..his picture showing his waist is perfect! As far as the whole transition thing..it was easier for me..AND Jake..because I am actually INCREASING his portion size!! Hardest thing is he wants his midday meal! I give him a few snacks and moved up his dinnertime a few hours. So far so good! You might try some frozen green beans to compensate for less kibble..and they love apple! Glad you feel better..he's wonderful!

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
We just came from the Vet of a quick check up and Tubs is 7 1/2 months and he weighs 55.6 lbs. This was the first time I asked if he was okay with his weight because I haven't been concerned and she said he is perfect. If you go to the photo video section you can see recent pictures I posted of him under "Tubs body pictures" I feed him 1 1/2 cups of Blue in the morning and again at night. He even gets out a lot, so he is exercising. As long as they are healthy it doesn't matter and he looks healthy. :luv:

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
[MENTION=1748]FridayGt[/MENTION] I'm glad I'm not the only one that wakes them up like that lol... And when he's stretching just before he gets up I always rub and kinda massage his little leg lol... Such a mommas boy!
I can't believe he has gotten so big so fast you need to post more pics of the little guy!

BabeEnglishBulldog

Feb 17, 2011
Don't you worry, the weight of the dog now may not have significant effects on the body yet but you must maintain that weight and not go beyond the normal weight of adult bull dogs.

Most Reactions

Members online