Short and quick breaths

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I noticed that Stig's been having some short and quick breathing for the passed couple of days. It doesn't occur all the time, maybe it happens for a few minutes then goes back to normal. It's also during random times, such as after playing or waking up from a nap or a night's sleep.

The weather's always been below 20C / 70F so I've only been using fans and opening windows, but I'm hoping that turning on the a/c will do the trick and stop it.

Does anyone have experience with this or know what may be causing it?

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Is he hurting anywhere? Animals breath short and fast sometimes if they are hurting.

No, he's not limping or anything. I also gave him a massage after work yesterday (which I do regularly to check for new bumps, scabs, etc) and he was sitting relaxed with nothing that would indicate that he's hurting. When he had interdigital cysts or a small scratch on his leg from playing at daycare previously he would do a low growl to warn me not to touch that area. But he was totally fine yesterday.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
hmm??? I have no idea, your weather seems like it is perfect. I hope it is nothing serious.

melanieian

Mar 29, 2011
Louisiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Brodie
My experience is different so do NOT freak out ok?? But I would get him checked just to be safe. I had a long haired dauschund and he was older, about 10 yrs old. He started experiencing short breathing and would no longer walk up the stairs or eat. He just laid there. He had congestive heart failure that the VET misdiagnosed...don't even let me go there! Anyway, I personally would have him checked just because I freak out over the smallest things now but there are probably 100 different reasons he could be breathing like that.

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
My experience is different so do NOT freak out ok?? But I would get him checked just to be safe. I had a long haired dauschund and he was older, about 10 yrs old. He started experiencing short breathing and would no longer walk up the stairs or eat. He just laid there. He had congestive heart failure that the VET misdiagnosed...don't even let me go there! Anyway, I personally would have him checked just because I freak out over the smallest things now but there are probably 100 different reasons he could be breathing like that.

Oi, didn't even think of that. Stig doesn't seem like he's losing energy. Last night he was barking all throughout the night/morning because my sis was on the phone and making noise walking around. He's also been running and hasn't lost his appetite at all. He's in daycare now and I asked the owner to watch him closely. I'll also turn on the a/c and see how he does. If there's no change by tomorrow then we'll go to the vet.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
A few weeks ago I decided to let BabyGirl a couple of bites of yam and the following day she was breathing funny. Turns out she might be allergic to it. Her face became swollen which meant her nose got stuffy and she couldn't breath properly. Her face broke out with redness and it was a mess. After antibiotics and a shot she has recovered. Is it possible your dog has eaten something new?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
A few weeks ago I decided to let BabyGirl a couple of bites of yam and the following day she was breathing funny. Turns out she might be allergic to it. Her face became swollen which meant her nose got stuffy and she couldn't breath properly. Her face broke out with redness and it was a mess. After antibiotics and a shot she has recovered. Is it possible your dog has eaten something new?

That may be it. I'm thinking Stig has seasonal allergies because he has a few new hives. We thought we were done with his allergies a few months ago when we changed his food but I'm thinking there's something in the air. Or it may be because he ate a couple of Nutro kibble that was leftover from a playdate on Sat.

BabeEnglishBulldog

Feb 17, 2011
I don't think the temperature is the one causing the short and quick breathes. Have you gone to the vet yet? He may have lung problems.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would be concerned about this. When tidus got a respiratory infection he took short quick breaths. But he also was not eating.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I don't have any suggestions but wanted to say to please keep us posted on what it turns out to be.

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I don't have any suggestions but wanted to say to please keep us posted on what it turns out to be.

His breathing has been back to normal the past couple of nights, which is a huge relief. His hives have disappeared as well. I should've mentioned that the shortness of breath was most noticeable when he's asleep. I think the average should be 20-30 breaths / minute and he was averaging 45/minute. Eating, pooping and everything else was normal and the daycare didn't find anything unusual when he stayed for a day.

I googled it and found in another forum (I know, don't kill me! :p) that a couple of bulldogs were experiencing the same problem and they say it may be due to the high allergy season. I'm still keeping a close eye on Stig though, just in case.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I hope the stig meister is ok!!! I would keep a careful watch over the next couple of days, and if it happens again maybe take him to the vet just for a check up!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I am so glad that you posted that he was ok! I would completely believe that it was allergy related. Seasonal allergies can cause so many things. My youngest daughter has asthma related to seasonal allergies.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.