worm prevention?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I am sure we have all talked about this but I cannot remember for the life of me what happened yesterday so I am going to ask again. The boys are gonna go in for nails and any shot updates they may need in a week or so and I have never given any kind of preventative for heartworm or anything else. Never came to my mind, what a horrible mama right? Well since it is one of those things you dont know you need until it is too late with some of them I figure I should just add this to their visit. What should I ask for? Is it a shot or is there something I can buy myself? I do not give regular flea and tick treatment cuz we have been mostly lucky and havent had any for the most part. Cant see giving meds if it isnt necessary.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
To check for heartworm they will take just a drop of blood and look at it under a scope. I buy Vegas's Heartgaurd Plus at the vets, it is givin once a month and is a block of meds that are made like a treat. He loves them.

The box I get has 6 doses and had 6 red hearts that you put on the day of the month on your calender to remind yourself it is the day to give them one. It is VERY important here in Florida since it does not get cold enough to kill mosquitoes, we have them all year long, so Vegas has always been on them.

If you have mosquitoes it is very important that they get heartworm pills.

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We have never worried about it here..but since we spend lots of time in mountains..vet says it's more of a concern. I had Jake tested and then use revolution. It protects against heart worm along with all the regular crud! I HATE putting it on him though..it feels like I'm putting a poison on him..which I guess..I am! If I lived where it was a big problem..like [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION]..I think I would do like she does and use heartguard..my sister in north Dakota..where mosquitoes roam..uses it as does my sis in Canada.

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] since you live here somewhat locally, you dont need it aside from going to the mountains? I think I had asked my vet a long time ago and she said something like that also but my memory is seriously failing lately. I think the 2nd kid took everything that was left in there! lol. We do get mosquitos but nothing crazy. Should I have the blood test done then? I guess it cant hurt right?

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION], even though Vegas has always been on heartworm pills, at his 2 yr. checkup, they still took a drop of blood from him and checked. It is such an easy solution to give them one a month compared to the actual getting the heartworms, they are so hard to get rid of and costly and can kill. I feel even if you have very little mosquitoes, it is important, it only takes one infected mosquitoe. I guess I feel this because my vet is so adiment on how important it is here in Fl. (google heartworms, the pictures are enough to make you sick)

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] I saw dr. oz the other day doing a show about how easy it is for us humans to get these nasty worms just from working in our yards. :barf: Made me think about the pups. Very true it certainly cant hurt can it? So that 1 "treat" a month covers all the diff worms?

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION], Ok :barf: I just googled heartworms in humans. I had no idea that humans could get them!! It is rare but can happen, again from mosquitoes not from a dog. The worms are so gross to look at, like spaghetti.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
You are not a bad mama!

I give Samson sentinel, it covers EVERYTHING. I would definitely consider sentinel. If they are going to prescribe you any heart worm preventitve they will probably require a parasite testing. At my vet office the parasite testing consists of a blood and stool test.

Katie9449

May 2, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel Tank
I also have Diesel on Sentinel and he hasn't had an reaction or anything. I live in Florida and don't like taking chances! :)

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
You are not a bad mama!

I give Samson sentinel, it covers EVERYTHING. I would definitely consider sentinel. If they are going to prescribe you any heart worm preventitve they will probably require a parasite testing. At my vet office the parasite testing consists of a blood and stool test.

Ok I will make a note of that and have daddy ask the vet about it. A stool sample? Well maybe they can just get it from them there, hoping they have enough for them to "grab". lol This trip is gonna be a costly 1 I can feel it. haha

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Ok I will make a note of that and have daddy ask the vet about it. A stool sample? Well maybe they can just get it from them there, hoping they have enough for them to "grab". lol This trip is gonna be a costly 1 I can feel it. haha

They say it's a stool and blood test but I have never actually brought any with me and have never witnessed the test being done. I always assume they just put a q-tip up there for a quick swab or something LOL

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Even if you decide not to do it in the winter months, you should consider doing it for the sping/summer/fall. When we lived in FL, we gave it every month year round. Now that we are in KY, when it starts freezing I stop giving it and just started back up in April.

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok we will do it, to be safe. cant hurt right? [MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION] Now that you mention it I saw them do it when we were trying to adopt that "bubba" but didnt work out. They used some kind of something like a q-tip. But wasnt sure if that works all the time, assuming they have enough poo I suppose it would be good enough. haha

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.