HELP, LONG WEEKEND and something scary! :(

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
So, samson had some red dots on his genital area the other day before his vet appt. The morning we woke up they were completley gone, so i just figured it was a reaction to a plant outside so i didnt mention anything. Of course, after the vet visit yesterday, wake up today, and they are back, only worse, and now its the long weekend and the vet isnt open until tuesday. I was just wondering if anyone has seen anything like this before, and now my BROTHERS dog, who we have been baby sitting now is getting the same spots...

It started out as 4 symetrical dots looking like this.
IMG_1719.jpg

After they disapeared, the next time i had noticed they looked like this, and have spread.

IMG_1721.jpg

IMG_1722.jpg

GOD THIS DOG STRESSES ME OUT, and im sure hes stressed out too :( poor fella

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Wow..posted a visitor message..before I looked at pics. If they both got it about same time I bet they came into contact with something. Might try some cortisone ointment..can buy without prescription. Won't hurt if not a reaction to a plant..but just might help. I would clean and dry spots..mix peroxide with 1/2 amount of water and dab with cotton.let dry and try some cortisone ointment. If no better on Tuesday..probably have to take him in. Was there any poison oak or ivy around?

Came back to add benadryl..[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] beat me! That way it works from inside and out.

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
That was going to be my suggestion. Also benedryl or something!

OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
im sure there is some poison oak or ivy around but i mean they dont bother him at all, no itching scratching or panting.. he seems perfectly normal and so does my brothers dog. I did some research on ringworm and ticks. I panic'd because it said ticks usually bite in areas with no fur, like under the arm pits and around the genitals. I lifted up samsons armpit, and there it was, a little red spot. But i dont think ticks bite over and over like that. And the ringworm, i seen some similarities, but i also dont think it clusters like that, and there is no hairloss in the spots i dont think. hmm...just confused!

You know how bulldogs love to lay down like a frog jumping with their legs sticking straight back, samson does this all over the yard so im guessing it could be anything from bug bites to poison oak/ivy... argggg i just dont know lol

OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] do you know if i can give benadryl while on antibiots? Should i wait and ask the vet? Samson is on antibiotics right now for his pyrodema... and ugh im so confused, the dogs are always separated because they fight, and juggs is never off leash now that i think about it, and i know there is no poison oak/ivy or stinging netal within leash distance... :( eeeek so confused and worried.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
im sure there is some poison oak or ivy around but i mean they dont bother him at all, no itching scratching or panting.. he seems perfectly normal and so does my brothers dog. I did some research on ringworm and ticks. I panic'd because it said ticks usually bite in areas with no fur, like under the arm pits and around the genitals. I lifted up samsons armpit, and there it was, a little red spot. But i dont think ticks bite over and over like that. And the ringworm, i seen some similarities, but i also dont think it clusters like that, and there is no hairloss in the spots i dont think. hmm...just confused!

You know how bulldogs love to lay down like a frog jumping with their legs sticking straight back, samson does this all over the yard so im guessing it could be anything from bug bites to poison oak/ivy... argggg i just dont know lol

These are not from ticks..we have had lots of tick experience..and unless Canada has some frickin weird ticks..this is a rash and maybe hives. Rashes show in warm areas of the body..like his hoo hoo area.remember..animals and humans don't necessarily have exact same physical reactions to things. It's raised like rash ...try benadryl..25 mg per 50 lbs and ointment for directly on spots.

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] do you know if i can give benadryl while on antibiots? Should i wait and ask the vet? Samson is on antibiotics right now for his pyrodema... and ugh im so confused, the dogs are always separated because they fight, and juggs is never off leash now that i think about it, and i know there is no poison oak/ivy or stinging netal within leash distance... :( eeeek so confused and worried.

Yes..usually benadryl can be given with antibiotics. You can ask pharmacist if you would feel better..but I've given together before. Take your antibiotic bottle to pharmacy and ask ..since you have to go there for benadryl anyway. Never hurts to be sure. It's not bothering him..I bet he had a reaction to something. If the other dog didn't have it too..I might even suspect antibiotics. But he had this first. Don't stress mike..this is environmental..you might never figure out exactly what they were into..but just got to stop it and get it cleared up!

OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I put some cortisone cream on both dogs but did not give benadryl yet. If it starts to bother them I will but its clearing up pretty good!

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
so sorry I missed this today. Yes I have given benadryl and /or zrtec plenty of times along with antibiotics.. under the suggestion of my dermatologist so I think you can give and it would help with the swelling and redness. Poor thing and poor you.. I feel your stress. Let us know what the vet says tomorrow :)

OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
ahh its worse, hes sleeping so i dont want to wake him up to give benadryl. I hate wonnndering what something could be. I would much rather know what it is so i can treat it... poor guy, seems like one thing after another for him :(. I will let you guys know what happends tmm!

OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Hey guys check this out [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION] have any of you heard of black fly bites? I have done lots and loooooots of research and i think i have found the culprit. The description of black fly bites are a "blood stain like drop" and this is exactly what i thought they were at first. i googled some pics and this is one i came up with, looks very very similar.. we will see what the vet says.

blackfly.jpg

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ooooh [MENTION=2106]mbuxx[/MENTION]x That does look like it! What a :detective: you might turn out to be! We have those black flies too! They suck blood and are horrible! I hope you are right!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Looks like you found the likely culprit.

I was bitten by a deer fly when I was up in Canada 30 odd years ago and had a very peculiar reaction to that. (I know it was a deer fly because I killed it in the process of being bitten)

Everyone told me that if one deer fly bite would do that to me that I sure didn't want to be up there during Black fly season.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Looks like you found the likely culprit.

I was bitten by a deer fly when I was up in Canada 30 odd years ago and had a very peculiar reaction to that. (I know it was a deer fly because I killed it in the process of being bitten)

Everyone told me that if one deer fly bite would do that to me that I sure didn't want to be up there during Black fly season.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online