New Bullie owner- with nose rope issues of course!

Vermont Millie

May 19, 2011
Southern, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mildred (Millie, mildew, mil- a- stroni)
I adopted my baby Millie about a month ago- she is now four months old. So far we have spent a lot of time and $$ on vet visits... she has already had a "foreign body" in her eye and now has demodex mange.

She has a very large nose rope which I was originally told to clean twice a day with sensitive skin baby wipes. It seems like every time I clean it with the baby wipe- more tiny hairs come out- leaving the area more and more irritated. I'm only just lightly brushing the surface. The real issue is that there seems to be like a "cake-y" brown substance in the nose rope hair. This gunk can't just be wiped clean but I can pull it out using my fingers. Its pretty gross and smelly. (My boyfriend says its gross but - I call it nose peanut butter)

I've attempted to search the site for nose rope guidelines but I'm still unclear as to how they should be cleaned. I would ask the vet but I forgot during our mange visit.

Has anyone seen what I am describing- or have a nose rope routine that would prevent this moisture/infection?

Thanks for your help,
Katie + Millie

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It is likely yeast or another bacteria infection. Ask your vet for some panalog ointment and it will clear it up quickly. It is important to clean under the nose rope, however just using a baby wipe allows trapped moisture, thus.... yeast. It needs to be completely dried, but what I do is use a baby wipe and I squirt some Malectic octic ear and skin cleanser on it, it has drying agents in it.

bjsfarm

Jan 12, 2011
Narvon PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Butter Cup, Ellie, Double D & CJ. Jr., Max, Doc & Willie
I don't know if anyone else had this problem... but my dogs all got a red face after I used scent free baby wipes.... I use peroxide wipes once a week and they work just fine. I also have a drying gel that I use. Very important to keep the area dry and not clean it everyday.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
After I clean Wilsons little nose wrinkle, I use something called "Zymox Topical Pet Cream with Hydrocortisone." It has a lot of good reviews on it on the web. I have a small pharmacy collection on my kitchen island.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Perhaps it may be a good idea to rethink the food you are giving Millie as well. Certain foods can actually enhance the production of yeast. These crazy dogs are very sensitive to food content and sometimes it takes quite some time to find the best on for your particular dog. There is a food rating section of this site that you should look thru and see how your food is rated. Ask away with your questions as we love helping people make the best lives possible for their bully.
By the Way: :welcome: Katie and Millie........ we all love pix here and I would love to hear more about Millie. :)

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I use chlorhexadine wipes. They can be found on Amazon.com. I then dry completely with a cotton ball or clean, dry cloth and put desitin under the rope to have a barrier. The great people here recommended it and my vet said it looked beautiful under his rope and to keep doing it.

OP
Vermont Millie

Vermont Millie

May 19, 2011
Southern, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mildred (Millie, mildew, mil- a- stroni)
I have considered changing food after seeing the long food-rating lists. Mine is only 1 star but money is tight at the moment. are the wipes you are referring to called Mal-A-Ket wipes?

I'm also worried that I'm over cleaning the rope- how often would you recommend using one of these medicated wipes / cream? or is this only something you use when you see that it is irritated?

thanks

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I have considered changing food after seeing the long food-rating lists. Mine is only 1 star but money is tight at the moment. are the wipes you are referring to called Mal-A-Ket wipes?
thanks
I understand the $$ thing and there are actually some decent foods that wont break the bank. Have heard that kirklands is a pretty good middle of the line food (costco brand) and isnt way too much. You may want to look into some at least 3 star rated foods, you may be surprised what some actually cost. I mean none will be as cheap I am sure as puppy chow but for a little tiny bit more you may make a HUGE diff in your pups health and also cave money in the end of having to go to the vets. Something to consider. :)

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] is doing a food trial with the kirkland brand dog food right now. Hopefully she will weigh in on this. It is less expensive than some of the other really good foods.

As far as mal-a-ket wipes, a lot of people use them with great success. I prefer the chlorhexadine because it is a little less "harsh" and works. I haven't really compared the prices of the two but for $10 on Amazon there are 30 pads which lasts more than a month for me. You just have to be careful to make sure it is DRY after cleaning.

I am trying the panalog cream right now as we had a bit of irritation under there the last few days. I think it might be related to Gator's seasonal allergies.

Good luck and enjoy your new family member!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes there is a food from Costco that I am on a trial right now. Unfortunately I have to report that there is tear stains and not so firm poopie. But if you absolutely cannot afford it, I would say it is an adequate choice until you can. But remember, the better foods will keep your bully more healthy-- so less visits to the vet-- those can cost you way more in the long run. Also you feed less per meal on high quality foods, so it really is not much more than $5-$10 a week. :)

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
I am sorry to hear that it isn't going as well as hoped with the food trial. I have heard many good things about it from others but not people with bullys. What other less expensive options are there? My husband grumbles about the cost of Fromm but he will keep buying it for his babies. As you can see in my siggy...he is in :luv:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The nose rope is the large wrinkle over the nose that most bullies have. Under it can get really full of yeast and bacteria if it is not attended to. :)

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
i use apple cider vinegar for nose rope,tear stains ,paw cleaning,it keeps them very clean,never had a problem with nose rope,tear stains,feet,just allergy to kibble lol,bummer!!!!,karen

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.