Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weird smell

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola
    Likes (Received)

Default weird smell

A couple of times this week we've noticed a weird smell from Lola. It is metallic---my daughter says it smells like old pennies--if that helps. I googled it, and someone mentioned anal glands? She's not scooting on the carpet or anything, I've just noticed the smell on my pants after she sits on me, and this morning in her bed (I don't see any residue). Any thoughts?

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: weird smell

Jake has same exact smell..we just finished food change so I figured that was part of it! Freaky...I gave him an oatmeal bath and smell was right back in 2 days. Not his anal glands ..cleaned his ears...hmmm...I will be watching this thread..thanks..now I know it wasn't my nose!

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

It sure sounds like anal glands to me. It is a bad metallic smell and doesn't necessarily leave a residue until it expresses or discharges. Your vet can show you how to express her anal gland or you can have the vet do it. It is a nasty job, nasty smell!

Bulldog Vet in Training karenben's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hilda
    Likes (Received)

i smell this smell after my dog has been asleep!!i was wandering if its the paws,sweaty!!!,it goes after a while but is back after shes slept,karen

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola
    Likes (Received)

OMG, she barely lets me clean her nose rope, much less get near her back end...I don't think this is something I could do myself. Ugh. Yes, a BAD metallic smell. Is it expensive to have the vet do it, and how often is it necessary? Do most bullies need to have help with this?

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by korikelly View Post
    OMG, she barely lets me clean her nose rope, much less get near her back end...I don't think this is something I could do myself. Ugh. Yes, a BAD metallic smell. Is it expensive to have the vet do it, and how often is it necessary? Do most bullies need to have help with this?
    No way would I do anal glands myself!! It shouldn't be expensive..groomers can do it too..but I don't think that is Jakes issue..he was just checked. Some dogs NEVER need it..some dogs ALL the time...guess which one describes bullies!

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    VEGAS
    Likes (Received)

I have to get Vegas's anal glands done every 4-5 weeks for over a year now, he has to have an internal gland expression. NO WAY could I stick my finger up there and get it done!! My vet charges $7.00 WELL WORTH IT!!! I have never, ever smelled him though??? I know by him dragging his butt on my area rug and itching that they are full. The smell in the room at the vet is just gross!! and the wet paper towel that doc rubs what he gets.... could gag a maggot!!!!

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Yep I would say anal glands also. First time I smelled a weird smell thats what it was.

BullyWood Movie Star Fontanafox's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wilson & BabyGirl
    Likes (Received)

My Frenchton Louie has to have this done periodically. My local vet charges $16.00. When it gets bad he will scoot on his bottom and sometimes you can actually see bumps protruding on both sides of his anus. He tends to have soft to runny poo so that is why he probably has this issue. He eats Natures Variety Instinct that my bullies eat but he is such a nervous and insecure fellow I think it messes with his digestion. Sorry for the TMI. Thank goodness my bulldogs don't have this problem though.

Make sure you check your dogs body all over. Wilson was developing a weird smell. As I was bathing him I noticed he had a very small spot of irritation along side of his tail and boy was it stinky. I thoroughly cleaned it and used Desitin on it and it is completely gone and so is the smell. It was not visible unless I dug through his dense fur.

When Wilsons allergies get bad his skin will smell. I have to admit though since changing him from Royal Canin Bulldog to Nature's Variety Instinct Beef and Lamb he has not had that skin allergy smell anymore. Hope you find out what the nature if the odor is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Wilson & BabyGirl

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

Not all Bulldogs need their anal glands expressed and some need it more often than others. In my experience 2 out of six have needed it. I have never done it, my vet offered to show me and I declined the experience. I have a sensitive stomach!!!

Bulldog Vet in Training karenben's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hilda
    Likes (Received)

it is easy to clear out anal glands but its not very nice lol,eating raw chicken bones will firm up poops which in turn will clear out the anal glands,i know ive said it before and probably getting boring now lol,karen

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by karenben View Post
    it is easy to clear out anal glands but its not very nice lol,eating raw chicken bones will firm up poops which in turn will clear out the anal glands,i know ive said it before and probably getting boring now lol,karen
    NEVER boring!! @karenben...NEVER!....I made a vet appt for Jake tomorrow..get his arse checked and nails trimmed too! They trim his nails for free...so this way I will know for sure!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads