weird smell

korikelly

Apr 21, 2011
Oregon
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
A couple of times this week we've noticed a weird smell from Lola. It is metallic---my daughter says it smells like old pennies--if that helps. I googled it, and someone mentioned anal glands? She's not scooting on the carpet or anything, I've just noticed the smell on my pants after she sits on me, and this morning in her bed (I don't see any residue). Any thoughts?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Jake has same exact smell..we just finished food change so I figured that was part of it! Freaky...I gave him an oatmeal bath and smell was right back in 2 days. Not his anal glands ..cleaned his ears...hmmm...I will be watching this thread..thanks..now I know it wasn't my nose!

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
It sure sounds like anal glands to me. It is a bad metallic smell and doesn't necessarily leave a residue until it expresses or discharges. Your vet can show you how to express her anal gland or you can have the vet do it. It is a nasty job, nasty smell!

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
i smell this smell after my dog has been asleep!!i was wandering if its the paws,sweaty!!!,it goes after a while but is back after shes slept,karen

OP
korikelly

korikelly

Apr 21, 2011
Oregon
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
OMG, she barely lets me clean her nose rope, much less get near her back end...I don't think this is something I could do myself. Ugh. Yes, a BAD metallic smell. Is it expensive to have the vet do it, and how often is it necessary? Do most bullies need to have help with this?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
OMG, she barely lets me clean her nose rope, much less get near her back end...I don't think this is something I could do myself. Ugh. Yes, a BAD metallic smell. Is it expensive to have the vet do it, and how often is it necessary? Do most bullies need to have help with this?

No way would I do anal glands myself!! It shouldn't be expensive..groomers can do it too..but I don't think that is Jakes issue..he was just checked. Some dogs NEVER need it..some dogs ALL the time...:lol:guess which one describes bullies!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I have to get Vegas's anal glands done every 4-5 weeks for over a year now, he has to have an internal gland expression. NO WAY could I stick my finger up there and get it done!! My vet charges $7.00 WELL WORTH IT!!! I have never, ever smelled him though??? I know by him dragging his butt on my area rug and itching that they are full. The smell in the room at the vet is just gross!! and the wet paper towel that doc rubs what he gets.... could gag a maggot!!!!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
My Frenchton Louie has to have this done periodically. My local vet charges $16.00. When it gets bad he will scoot on his bottom and sometimes you can actually see bumps protruding on both sides of his anus. He tends to have soft to runny poo so that is why he probably has this issue. He eats Natures Variety Instinct that my bullies eat but he is such a nervous and insecure fellow I think it messes with his digestion. Sorry for the TMI. Thank goodness my bulldogs don't have this problem though.

Make sure you check your dogs body all over. Wilson was developing a weird smell. As I was bathing him I noticed he had a very small spot of irritation along side of his tail and boy was it stinky. I thoroughly cleaned it and used Desitin on it and it is completely gone and so is the smell. It was not visible unless I dug through his dense fur.

When Wilsons allergies get bad his skin will smell. I have to admit though since changing him from Royal Canin Bulldog to Nature's Variety Instinct Beef and Lamb he has not had that skin allergy smell anymore. Hope you find out what the nature if the odor is. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Not all Bulldogs need their anal glands expressed and some need it more often than others. In my experience 2 out of six have needed it. I have never done it, my vet offered to show me and I declined the experience. I have a sensitive stomach!!!

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
it is easy to clear out anal glands but its not very nice lol,eating raw chicken bones will firm up poops which in turn will clear out the anal glands,i know ive said it before and probably getting boring now lol,karen

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
it is easy to clear out anal glands but its not very nice lol,eating raw chicken bones will firm up poops which in turn will clear out the anal glands,i know ive said it before and probably getting boring now lol,karen

NEVER boring!! [MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION]...NEVER!....I made a vet appt for Jake tomorrow..get his arse checked :lol:and nails trimmed too! They trim his nails for free...so this way I will know for sure!

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
my boys have a metallic (bloody) smell coming from their mouths but I think it's just because their big boy teeth are coming in. No smell coming from the tushy end and haven't had to worry about anal glands yet.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ya..that's why I'm hesitant to think it's jakes anal glands..it's like a body odor. No smell from rear at all! Not that I've ACTUALLY checked..:lol: Oh well..he needs his nails trimmed and a weigh in..going to vet this morning! Will let u know [MENTION=2258]korikelly[/MENTION]

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
why thankyou jakeisgreat thats kind of you to say,dont think my family think like that ,getting a tad obsessed with the raw feed bit:D,karen

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.