Help ! I Need some ALLERGY Relief .... !

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
P.S. My bullies collectively are allergic to grains, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, chicken, lamb, beef, venison and they can all eat (and do well on) Nature's Variety Instinct Salmon. A raw diet is also great for bullies with allergies.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
annie has been allergic to something shes comming into contact with for 4 months ,ive tried 4 types of antihistamine ,started her on chlorpenamine maleate chemists own brand ,half the price of piriton,im giving 30mg am,30mg pm and its the only one that helps,plus i raw feed which i know isnt stopping the itching but at least i know its not what im feeding her,just elimminating what she in contact with and for the last 2 days have seen a massive improvement ,just have to figure out which surface it is lol,my money is on the grass,karen

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
[MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION] are you still having those issues with Annie? Have you tried going back to just chicken and then adding stuff in slowly on the diet? It isn't likely it is her food but at this point, I would probably do some trials. It won't hurt her in any way to do that and you might actually find a culprit!

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
GatorRay its very strange,at the weekend she was at her worst i mean constant scratching,blood,whelts all over her belly and i must admit i thought whats the point of having a dog who has to wear a tshirt all the time ,creamed 3 times a day throwing antihistamines down her throat like she was a drug addict ,so on monday i thought RIGHT im sick of this i cannot enjoy my dog,so i have taken her completly off grass/carpet and i meant it this time lol no feeling sorry for her and letting her on both,i purchased some of the best acv i could get ,its really cloudy and organic,i put a couple of drops in each ear and the muck that came out was unbeleivable,i stopped chicken also,i got a different antihistamine and started giving her 30mg am and 30mg pm,and also putting 2 deseartspoons of acv in her morning meal,and its now friday and her belly is almost CLEAR!!!!!,i have also seen putting suralan on her belly and pits its for ear infections i got it from the vet its steroid based ,i thought what the heck if it works on her ears then it will work on her belly lol,i also bathed her in sporalD on the monday ,if she stays this way for 1 more week then i will try her on the grass ,if she is ok then i will try her in the lounge on the carpets,im dreading reintroducing these things but its the only way,i took her off chicken just in case its enhanced ,i know its not what im feeding,it would be so easy if it were food related as raw will always clear food allergy up lol,thanks for asking ,karen

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION] good luck with the re-introductions. I would only try to the grass first and give it a week to make sure she isn't going to break out (unless she does right away of course) then move on. It is so frustrating! I know you took her off of chicken....that is something else to re-introduce. I would probably start with that since I know you like to give her backs/frames for the bone. Then move on to grass. Boy, you really have to go slow with these situations don't you?? It must be so frustrating! I am glad that she is starting to clear up. She is probably glad too.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
its great to see her not scratching ,ive probably cursed myself by talking too soon lol,she is my 5th bulldog and i have never had so many problems!!!!,i got her to show but found out i had to have back surgery!!!!so couldnt even attend ring classes,i was also hoping to let her have a litter in the hope she threw a show dog but im going to get her speyed as i would hate any pup go through she goes through or the pup owner come to that!!everything went boobie up lol,im going to introduce the grass first but not till next week ,perhaps her immune system has finally got strong ive been raw feeding her 4 months now ,she hasnt had any bone content since monday and done really well as her poops are still really firm,very black though lol,ive also found her urine isnt as strong with giving her the acv,karen

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION] do you think the acv might help with the urine killing grass? I have a hard time bringing myself to use it as if I touch it, it burns and gives me blisters. I am headed out today to look for some probiotics and some fish oil. I am also going to pick up some neem oil/lavender oil/and EV cocunut oil to make an oil for the demodex on gyps. It is actually looking MUCH better but one spot is still itchy so I am hoping that would help. I want to probiotics to help boost her up until I am SURE the demodex has died down.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
@GatorRay - if you can get a hold of some green tripe, it's full of probiotics. Make sure they're keep chilled or frozen though, as the potency decreases once they reach room temp. I noticed that the Yahoo group says that they're not essential in rawfeeding and thought of as ordinary meat/organs, but in my area they're considered a probiotics heaven. which is mainly what I use them for.

Or if you have a source for offal, they should consist of green tripe, organs and bone.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
the acv will dillute the urine as raw fed dogs dont drink much water it tends to be very acidic ,i have noticed a difference in strength and she is peeing more which is good for rawfwd dogs,the acv will also strengthen the immune system which will help get rid of the mange,just make sure it has the mother written on the label,i give annie flaxseed oil and primrose oil for immune boosting all are excellent,you can dab acv on the mange spot also it will help kill off any mites if indeed there are any present,i swear by the stuff,i take 2 teaspoons full with water every day and i swear i have more energy it also helps weight loss lol must be a bonus ha ha ,karen

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] I have looked everywhere for green trip and unless I order it online I just can't seem to find it. I am going to go with a human grade probiotic. I most likely will not make it a regular thing but just to boost her for now. I am not sure if the mites are gone or not. I have seen some re-growth of hair on most of her spots so I think we are clear there but possibly not in the largest spot.

[MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION] thank you for the tip on the acv. I will grab some. I am just not too keen on it since it burns my skin so badly. I spilled some on my leg at one time and it left a HUGE long blister on my leg. Not sure why...

I haven't put them on anything for omega 3 yet so I am going to try to find some when I go looking for the omega three. I am going to look for one without soy which is tough to find so far! I think Gator might need some of the probiotics...his gas is rancid! lol

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
he has gas on raw!!mine stopped farting within days lol,wear gloves when pouring it and dilute it when putting on skin as its very strong ,only use full strengh when putting in food,i buy flaxseed just as good as omega ,i also put pure cocanut oil in her meal thats a very good immune booster but only in tiny ammounts as it can cause very runny poops lol,karen

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Aha [MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION]! I bought some ev coconut oil for the mixture for Gypsy's skin. That would be great to put a tiny bit in their food.

YES, Gator has the WORST gas on raw. I think it might just be chicken. Back when I had him eating beef and pork, it wasn't so bad. But I put him back on chicken after the hives incident and am adding the others back slowly. It is truly nasty!

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
can you get hold of ox/beef heart ?thats the protien annie has,its the best protien as its the darkest meat and full of all the vitamins dogs need,only give a tiny bit of cocanut to begin with as it causes runs,the acv most definatly helps with the urine annies peeing more and its not as concentrated,this was my only concern with raw they dont drink a lot which i would think causes problems with uti and its so smelly!!,karen

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Ok, well my VET is totally against Anti-histamines for Dogs, so I doubt he would give him a prescription strength med for Allergies, and I know he wouldn't give him another steroid injection. So I will have to try to provide Max with some relief myself......now how much Benadryl do you give ? I know one Vet at the Emergency clinic recommended Liquid Childrens benadryl, but I forget the dosage ......
I just know Max spends his days sneezing, with red, runny nose and eyes and he needs some relief .....

HELP !

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online