Sarge update

SargeandGriffon

Mar 26, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Sergeant Mako (Sarge)
Just wanted to give everyone an update on Sarge. It has been a little over a month since we had the surgery for the interdigital cysts and we already have another one. As many of you know I have been using a vet that I wasn't too thrilled with and when she learned there was another one she wanted me to just continue the meds bc "obviously, there is nothing we can do". Well, that was unacceptable and not to mention we found more stitches that she failed to remove so we found a new vet! :D

The FIRST thing out of her mouth was "what is his diet" andi knew we were in the right place. The new vet couldn't believe the way the other vet did his surgery (she cut out all of the webbing bt his third and fourth toe - apparently this is NOT NORMAL and is unnecessarily invasive) and she cut him off of all meds but his pred and the rifampin and even cut those doses down as well.

She also informed me that bc of the high doses of pred Sarge has had over the past year he will now probably have to be on it for the rest of his life- had the other vet cut the dose sooner he might have been able to stop for a while and only start back if he needed it.

Anyways, the new vet seems to really know her stuff and Sarge really liked her too (some excited humping was involved). I will def be posting her name on the vet list!

Hope everyone is doing well!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I am so glad you found another vet! It IS unacceptable on a few levels. I hope she can help him out. What did the new vet say about the diet he is on?

He is so sweet. I love your avatar picture.

abigail01

Mar 13, 2011
Our 5 year old English Bulldog had the same thing. Our Vet didn"t want to operate on the cyst and gave us medicine and the cyst is just about gone.

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
The reason I ask about the food is that I turned our vet on to Fromm on our last visit. He asked what I was feeding so I went into the benefits. He was very interested. He said he had another patient using it so he was becoming intrigued.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Thanks for the update. Good parenting going with your instincts and finding a new vet. Hopefully Sarge will be back to his healthy self in no time. Did the new vet say anything about the potential of an increase in energy level since his meds has decreased? :tease:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Thanx for the update and I sure wish you luck with the new vet. It sounds like you are off to a good start with him.

NJBullyMommy

Apr 20, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (Bruty, Bru Bru, Brutus Maximus)
Aww I'm so glad you found someone that is more suited for your baby! Now that he is in beter hands I'm sure he will be feeling great in no time!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
So what course of action is the new vet suggesting for the cysts? So glad you found someone you feel confident in! Missed you, glad you gave us an update!

Daphne

Dec 31, 2010
daphne2 077.jpgso glad to hear Sarge is doing well. How relieved you must feel to have found a vet that knows what she is doing!!!! YAY!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
This was posted on a facebook share so I thought I would pass this information on to you from Bridgette:

I just read your post and I see you use a medication called Rifampin, Please go to Buddies through Bullies fb link. VERY IMPORTANT!!! Two bullies recently died from using this medication. And as far as the interdigital cyst on your bullies paws, have them soak in the tub with Epsom salt and cool water, not warm it makes it worse for them. I do the same for my bullies. Hope this helps.

OP
SargeandGriffon

SargeandGriffon

Mar 26, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Sergeant Mako (Sarge)
Sorry I haven't responded - work has been crazy. The new vet suggested I switch to totw because she wanted him on a food that only had 1 type of meat. I also am giving them only the duck pill pockets with his meds. He seems to be improving in some ways (no more loose bowels) but it seems like his yeast problems are coming back (maybe bc the last diet had no grains or potatoes and totw has potatoes?) but no more interdigital cysts!! Thanks for posting the info from FB about the meds. I will check it out but was told by the pharmacist that it was a very safe medication that is often given to human infants so hopefully we won't have any problems.

Thanks again to all of you and to this forum!

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
How is the food transition going? Good to hear that your Vet is really trying to get him well!

OP
SargeandGriffon

SargeandGriffon

Mar 26, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Sergeant Mako (Sarge)
Sarge is doing well. He is having some yeasty problems again which were not occurring with the grain&potato free dog food but at least the cysts are gone and he has much more solid bowels (yay). Anybody know of a grain free, potato free food with fish as the only protein?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.