Pimples and gunk in eyes!!! Allergies??

Bella Cows Mama

Feb 4, 2011
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Cow
Wow, it's been a long time since I've been on here. Things have been crazy busy for me. But I had to make some time today to finally get some help with Bella's issue. She has these pimples on her chin and jowels. There are tons of them and just when I think they are getting better, a new round pops up. Now they look almost like she has black heads and scabs under her chin, which makes me think that it might just be puppy acne. She has also been getting tons of gunk in her eyes that is like a clear milky color(not yellow or green),so I'm thinking that's a good sign that it's just allergies and nothing major like an infection? After finding this forum, I switched her to Fromm grain free surf and turf but when the pimples started and that bag finished, I switched her to the beef fritata. However, she does sometimes sneak upstairs and steal food from my puggles bowl and she is on wellness core. Could this be enough to set off a reaction in her? Or could this just be puppy acne and seasonal allergies? Another thing I was wondering about with the acne is that I use a ceramic food bowl and we wash it daily...I won't lie, sometimes we forget to put it in the dishwasher and it get washed every other day:ashamed:. I know plastic is bad and we use stainless for her water dish. Also, she has tons of rubber toys that she suckles and chews on excessivley all day!!! Could these be causeing the acne? I would hate to take them away. I'm sure she will eat my house if I do:eek:. Ok I'm gonna stop rambling now. Any help would be appreciated. And I do intend on bringing her to the vet, but wanted to get some info before I do. As I've stated before, I don't exactly trust my vet's knowledge of bulldogs but can't find anyone better close to me.

OP
Bella Cows Mama

Bella Cows Mama

Feb 4, 2011
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Cow
Here they are!

S1051575-1.jpg

S1051572-1.jpg

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
[MENTION=1815]Bella Cows Mama[/MENTION] !!!

Wondered where you went! Totally missed you and Bella Cow!!! You should really not worry us like that you know! :nono: :j/k:

Hmmmm it sounds like you have really done your homework as all the things you stated could be a possibility. I am unsure about the food, because a bit of wellness here and there should not hurt too badly. Did Bella do well on the Surf and Turf? Maybe try switching back to that because the ingredients are quite different in proteins between the two.

I would def. take her to the vet, maybe a course of antibiotics will help. The ones that are really concerning to me are the ones on her jowels. They look swollen and full of puss or something! :(

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
You also said she suckles/chews a lot... having schlobber on her mouth and chin all day Im sure isn't exactly a good thing either. Lets hope she doesn't eat your house. ;)
Fromm, although it is probably one of the finest foods out, is not right for every dog. Every one is different and reacts to different foods differently. Having said that, I'd give her more time on the Beef Fritatta so you can make a definate decision on it. Several weeks would be a fair test.

OP
Bella Cows Mama

Bella Cows Mama

Feb 4, 2011
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Cow
Thanks [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION]. She started the pimples on the surf and turf and when she does get into the wellness is when her eyes seem to be more gunky. I'm thinking a chicken allergy? I just put bindi's food up on a high surface, as she can jump up on it and bella can not:p. Hopefully that will help to narrow it down. I am def. going to make an appointment to bring her in and see if maybe she needs some antibiotics. It's wierd, they almost look like boils or something. I've also ordered some benadryl off amazon and will see if maybe that helps a little with the watery, gunky, itchy eyes. I'm just so happy with the Fromm that I am hoping that is not the cause. I don't know if you noticed, but if you look back at pics of her fashion show and now, her wrinkles were so brown before and starting to loose fur, and she had a touch of yeast. Now everything is cleared up and her fur is so healthy. But when all that got better....this popped up. Poor bella, it's just one thing after another for her.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Gator had those same pimples! They are most likely acne but look to be at the point that some of them could be infected and they will only get worse without antibiotics. We had to do TWO 10 day rounds of antibiotics (just finally finished yesterday actually) before they went away. He looks SOOOO much better! I also found out from the vet that having something in their crate that is rough can actually aggravate them so I switched Gator's bedding to sheets instead of blankets and dog beds and I change it every other day. Gator was also doing a lot of rough play and would scratch them up that way as well. When I can't put their dishes in the dishwasher, I do a really quick hand wash. It only takes a minute and it has made a lot of difference (along with the antibiotics). As far as her chewing up your house, you may also want to consider taking the rubber toys and giving her stuffed things. That toy that [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] got for Vegas seems to be a hit with them. It is a stuffie that you put an empty water bottle inside of. They have stuffies that have no stuffing and is just the furry outside. Mine love those. Or, maybe you could try an actual marrow bone? I get them from the pet store for about $3 each. Others have been using antlers for them to chew.

Good luck and let us know how she is!

OP
Bella Cows Mama

Bella Cows Mama

Feb 4, 2011
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Cow
Thank-you [MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION]. Lots of great advice. The bedding advise makes sense and I will do the same. I have queen sheets that I have been hanging onto for tarps since we swithed to a king. Now I will have use for them. And you totally just gave me a kick in the butt about the bowl. I will make sure to wash it every night, even if by hand. I hate hand washing dishes, but I'll do anything for my baby! I will keep you guys posted on what the vet says.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.