Dragging/scratching her butt on the carpet...

Wlw9x

May 10, 2011
Gardendale, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Katie
This may be a stupid question, or one that has already been answered... but Katie has been dragging her butt on the floor to scratch it the past couple of days. Is there anything I can do to keep that area from itching, and cut down on the butt dragging?

LolaBear

May 13, 2011
yup- I think you need to empty out her anal glands. You can take her to your vet but sometimes a groomer will do it for you. I typically have the groomer check it out every couple of months to make sure everything is all good. good luck!!:)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yup..bet that's what it is! Although my daughters golden retriever started doing this out of the blue and after getting him checked at vet..where he got a clean bill of health..the vet told my daughter that dogs will mimic this if they see another dog doing it!! Turned out that is exactly what happened with charlie..who knew?? :blink:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It could also be an itchy tail pocket or an itchy va j j too. Check for yeast or bacteria in those areas as well :)

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I am thinking that the most likely culprit is probably anal glands. You can take her to the vet and have them done. Only takes a minute and though, they don't like it, she would feel much better! It could also be the tail pocket or hoo haa as [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] suggested.

When Gator needs his done, he sits and spins. lol

OP
Wlw9x

Wlw9x

May 10, 2011
Gardendale, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Katie
Thanks all. I will definitely have the anal glands checked out. I gave her a good bath and thorough cleaning on Friday and haven't noticed any more butt dragging yet... we'll see!

bullylovers01

May 12, 2011
North West Tennesee
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunker & Mattie
Bulldogs generally cant supress their anal glands due to body stature . We have our bullies done about every 2 months by the vet. Also we use Dermachlor K (Ketoconazole) Wipes for the tail pocket. Bulldogs are very well known for the yeasty skin which can cause fungal infections. These wipes are antifungal and antibacterial which helps to keep the moisture to a minimum. These wipes can be used in all the folds on your Bully. So your bullie could need anal glands surpressed or you could have a tail pocket issue going on.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
anal glands fill up due to a dogs soft poops they need firm poops that need forcing out as at the same time the anal glands empty,try giving a bone,rib bone ,chicken back/frame a few times a week that will firm up the poops and empty the glands at the same time,karen

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I would have gone with either anal glands or tail pocket issues .... Maggie needs her nails cutting and I've been noticing some "break-dancing" going on everytime she's on the carpet so I may get them checked at the same time!

NJBullyMommy

Apr 20, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (Bruty, Bru Bru, Brutus Maximus)
I would have gone with either anal glands or tail pocket issues .... Maggie needs her nails cutting and I've been noticing some "break-dancing" going on everytime she's on the carpet so I may get them checked at the same time!

Haha "break dancing"....love it!!!!

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Good Day,
Odd how we feel so normal taking about....poo...and glands....and cleansing. But, that is not why we Love our Bullies. And sometimes it just a good booty scratch. If it happens too often or on a regulare basis then it needs to be checked out. Keeping the entire area cleaned off is necessary. Sometimes the residual gets to be itchy. They don't have hands and they don't have Charmin for dogs...maybe that is why my dogs are always pulling off the toilet paper from the roll! Oh BTW, they use WAY too much.

AnnieTheGolden

Sep 24, 2019
Country
PHILIPPINES
Bulldog(s) Names
I have a golden retriever
Hi Wlwx,

What he's doing is called scooting. There are a number of reason why dogs scoot. This would involve as minor as having dirt on their bottoms, to having allergies, yeast and bacterial infections, lesions on the anal glands, infection on the anal glands, tumor and UTI among others. I would recommend that you take your pup to a vet just to make sure that she isn't experiencing anything worse.

Here's an article which has information about scooting for your reference: https://goldenretrieverlove.com/why-is-my-dog-dragging-its-butt/

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.