What is this? PICS

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
As many of you have read my other thread. Samson has had these bald spots since he was a wee lad. Many of them cleared up when i started supplementing salmon oil, but i noticed there is still one on his back, and one on his head. My aunt actually noticed one today and this is what is making me really curious. The spots dont seem red, or itchy, or irritated at all for that matter. They are just......bald patches? I noticed at the end edge of the big bald spot on his back his skin has turned black. I hope this info is good enough to get some good info in return :). Let me know what you guys think.

Sorry about pics, samson wasnt co operating.
IMG_1705.jpg

This is a closeup of the main big one on his back. Notice the black spots, if you look at the bottom of the bald spot where there is still hair, this is where most of the black skin is.

IMG_1708.jpg

This is the back of his head..

IMG_1711.jpg

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Gosh I dont know what could it be. I dont want to give you the wrong info.Are you putting something on it? It wouldn't be the shampoo you use for him because it is only on certain spots.Sorry i can be of more help.

LDeLeo

Mar 5, 2011
going through this now with all of mine. The vet put them on Chephlexin. This cleared it up. Leave the lesions alone, what you are seeing is the end of the sores. They get crusty and then they will peel off if you mess with them and then the skin under it is red and raw I put cortaid on it. The balck skin under neath is what they called alopecia, the hair should grow back. It's a staph infeciton.

OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
no, no thyroid testing has been done, maybe it is time. [MENTION=1949]LDeLeo[/MENTION] there was never any soars though, just looked like the hair was thinning out, then this is what was there.

[MENTION=1710]LisaMarie[/MENTION] i have just been breaking vitamin e pills and rubbing the oil on them to help with dryness..

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I cannot remember [MENTION=2106]mbuxx[/MENTION] if you mentioned it before or not, but have you had him checked for mange? [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]'s Vegas had mange that looked just like that. Someone asked if she spilled bleach on him (or something) cuz he had just a blank spot of missing fur on his coat.

When bullies have allergies, it also attacks the immune system, which causes allergies. Low immune system, high chance of mange. This is why you see so many cases of mange in the spring time, during the high allergy season.

If you have not checked for mange yet, make sure your vet does two skin scrapes not just one, you can get a false negative with only one scrape. He may not have mange at all, as there is many skin issues that can cause this, but it is just a suggestion at this point. :hug:

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Yep. I had no idea. It was just a roundish bald spot. No redness. No itchy. I have a photo...not the best, but you can get the idea. It was mange.

[MENTION=2106]mbuxx[/MENTION]

OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Hmm he has been scraped twice for mange but maybe I should go to a different vet for a second opinion..

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk

bullylovers01

May 12, 2011
North West Tennesee
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunker & Mattie
Our 2 bullies have a similar problem. It turns out they have ringworm which they are being treated for. I noticed where you stated the color of the skin being black. My bullies are black, brown, & white, even under the white hair they have the dark spots. This is actually the color of their skin and not an allergic reaction. You might want to look your baby over head to toe to see if their are any more balding patches. I am sure you will notices other dark skin spots all over Samson!

OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Samsons skin is white white white underneath lol. I noticed these spots are white and turn black over time .. its odd. Once they turn black though, the hair grows back..its very odd

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.