Seasonal flank alopecia?

LolaBear

May 13, 2011
Hi there!! I've been noticing dark patches of skin on both sides of my bulldogs body. The hair is thinning and her skin is getting blackish (she usually has pink skin underneath). I took her to the vet and he said it could be seasonal allergies and if it gets worse to bring her back and he'll run more tests. Being as impatient as I am, I did my own research online and I really think she has seasonal flank alopecia.

Have any of you experienced this with your bullies? If so, anything I can give her to make it better? It's driving me crazy!:cursing:

Sorry tired to get a better pic but she was moving all over the place!!

securedownload.jpg

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
hey , sorry i cant be of help here... but my boy is having some of the same thing... not really as black as that though, mostly white with some black on the skin... its weird..

Corinne0022

May 14, 2010
My EB had something like that underneath her legs where its normally pink--all the skin was rough and it turned black. I was told it was some kind of allergies--she was on antibiotics and fungal sprays and medicated baths and nothing worked. I finally decided to switch her food from grain free Canidae to Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream--after being on the food for just a couple of weeks those black areas finally went away and returned to its normal color! She kept getting recurrent ear infections and skin infections and now she looks great!!!!! Also I've been using both an antibacterial AND antifungal shampoo--its called Universal Medicated Shampoo by Vet Solutions--u should try it!!!! Please keep us informed!!!!

Wlw9x

May 10, 2011
Gardendale, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Katie
Katie had a dark spot or two on the top of her head. She got some antibiotics from the vet, but they are still faintly there. Here's a picture from the week she went to the vet. I wish I could be of more help, but that vet trip was when she wasn't under my care yet.

xdw36o.jpg

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Maybe an anti fungal cream..like lotrimin? Use a Q-tip to apply..just in case. [MENTION=2382]LolaBear[/MENTION][MENTION=2106]mbuxx[/MENTION] it's inexpensive and readily available. Used to require prescription but not now. Really good for ANY fungal problems..even diaper rashes! Might be worth a try.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
L

LolaBear

May 13, 2011
Thanks everyone for your advice! The good thing is that Lola isn't in any discomfort and at this point it's mostly a cosmetic problem. I'll keep everyone posted on what worked to get rid of it!! Praying for a speedy recovery!! :pray:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I think you may be right about it being that. I do not have any experience with this, but there are others who do that could give you more insight.

Tiffany B

Mar 7, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Rollie and Cash
This is a late answer but mine has those same spots on his sides, my vet at first said allergies, then he decided to do a blood test. It turned out that on a scale of 1-10, his came back a zero, his thyroid wasn't even functioning! So now he takes a pill daily, to get it functioning. The pills are pretty cheap, a bottle of 250 costs about $36. Maybe you could have the vet do blood work, we had it done a couple of times to get the meds regulated. He still has the spots, it takes awhile for his hair to grow back. Good luck!!! I hope you find out what it is :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.