Goopy gunky in the eyes

lovemyharley

May 12, 2011
Hi, my Harley has got some terrible goopy gunk in his eyes. We know he has, I believe, environmental allergies. Many of my friends are having a horrible allergy season. So I think it makes sense but still doesn't make me feel good about it. We are putting allergy eye drops, over the counter, in his eyes. He hates it but with a treat he tolerates it. We have also started him on one claritin a day because his eyes were so swollen he could hardly open them. This helped so much the next day Harley was a different dog. But the gunky goop still persists. Should I be more worried? Should we wait out the allergy season. Anybody have any ideas?

NJBullyMommy

Apr 20, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (Bruty, Bru Bru, Brutus Maximus)
Hey there! My bully Brutus also has bad allergies and we give him Benedryl for it. He had the goopy eyes at first before the allergy meds, but they seemed to slow down after. Not to sound gross, but what color is it? If it's yellow or green def go to the vet. They say clear is alright, that just mean allergies, but if it's to the point he cant open his eye or see properly I would def go to the vet just to see if they have anything else for it. Last thing you want is a bully with an eye infection...then he really wont like those eye drops :p

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It could very well be allergies.

When your bully's eyes get swollen from allergies, they eyelids can turn in. This is called entropion. Many bulldogs end up getting surgery for this when it is not necessary.

You can help this during allergy season by using Eye Wash (human stuff sold at drug stores by Baucsh & Lomb) and wiping the eyes. Then apply lubricating eye ointment. Give allergy meds like benedryl, hydroxizine or Zertec. Hydroxizine or Zertec have been proven to be more effective, talk to your vet about dosage.

If the problem persists or if they eye looks disturbed, cloudy, or anything you should probably see your vet. Especially if your bully starts squinting.

What are you feeding your bulldog? A good diet can really help with allergy season.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
What are you feeding your bulldog? A good diet can really help with allergy season.

This is what I was going to ask. Very good advice overall [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] gave, but we've found that just a food change dramatically decreased the amount of goop in HRH's eyes.

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Chunk has what I would also consider "goopy gunk" ... he's on cyclosporine drops for it. The vet explained it is because his tears are missing a certain component. His is a greenish-yellow ... hope that helps a little!

OP
L

lovemyharley

May 12, 2011
Yes it's greenish yellow. We took him to Butchko. He prescribed cyclosporine but the vet doesn't have it in stock and I can't find it anywhere. Where did you get yours and what dosage? The dosage Butchko's office prescribed is much lower than what other vets would prescribe and they won't even consider that low a dose. Of course they won't fill the prescription either without seeing Harley. Right now just putting in the meds to clear up the gunk. But do need to find a long term eye drop.

OP
L

lovemyharley

May 12, 2011
We use Trader Joe's holistic canine food. He loves it. Seems to work well with his digestive system. Sheesh! this is difficult. There's a reason bulldog's have such great personalities. You can't give up on them with all these health issues!

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
[MENTION=2373]lovemyharley[/MENTION]. I got it from Chunk's eye dr after his surgery but I know you can get it from fosters and smith. Here is a link to them on their site ... I'm not sure exactly if you need a script or anything to get them...
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=11118

Chunk gets them one drop in each eye, twice per day. It makes a huge difference!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
One of the vets at Butchkos recommended human-type artificial tears (as needed). I have been using something called "Blink" (gel-type) that someone recommended on this forum. A couple of times a day for Wilson. Wilson has a history of eye ulcers, cherry eye and entropion surgery, so you can imagine how aware I am of his eye health. So far he has been doing well but the key is keeping the eyes moist and now with seasonal allergies I have to be extra aware. This is the first season that my Frenchton Louie has had itchy eyes so I used "Blink" on him too! He stopped the eye rubbing!
FYI Butchkos staff use to give Cyclosporin and have stopped prescribing it. Don't know why. My other local vet in Rancho Cucamonga says they are not allowed to prescribe it anymore. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.