Need recommendations: shampoo? heart worm meds? New mommy needs help!

Wlw9x

May 10, 2011
Gardendale, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Katie
I just adopted Katie about a month ago.. I have had her washed a few times, but I want to know of some good shampoos so that I can give her baths at home.
Also, any tips on which heart worm medication to use? We live in Alabama, so it's a must!
Thanks in advance for your help!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi..I know nothing about heart worms because in California we don't have that much of a problem. I use an oatmeal based shampoo on Jake. Just so he doesn't get dry skin. I let it sit on him for about 10 min..not fun..then rinse real well. Soft coat and nice skin!!

bjsfarm

Jan 12, 2011
Narvon PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Butter Cup, Ellie, Double D & CJ. Jr., Max, Doc & Willie
I think the best shampoo I found for my dogs... buts its so expensive I don't use it every time... is the emu oil shampoo.
I am sorry... we don't have trouble with heartworm here... so I can't help you with that.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I'm not going to be of much help on either question. Because we haven't tried a lot of options.

For heart worm, we just use what the vet recommended. Here we give it from April to November in a monthly "treat" Heartgard is the brand he prescribed. We really didn't investigate other options.

We had used Oster Oatmeal dog shampoo and Selsen Blue dandruff shampoo together with the best results. The Selsen Blue for skin (but I really don't care for the smell) so the Oatmeal seems to neutralise that and is supposed to reduce shedding. It did leave her coat very soft after a bath and she didn't get "dog smelly" like she did when we first got her, but I think her food is as responsible for that as the shampoo. Recently we did try a kids Lavender shampoo (no tears) by Sauve but I haven't been happy with that as much (she isn't so soft after use as with the Selsen Blue) and we're going to go back to the Selsen Blue/Oatmeal shampoo mix.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I use heartgaurd plus, I purchase it from the vet. One at the first of the month. I live in Fl. where it never gets cold enough to kill mosiquitoes so heartworm pills are a must since we have them all year round. I also get my shampoo from the vet, it is an anti-fungal yeast shampoo. It cost $12 for a big bottle. The shampoo really does not lather you massage it in all over, let sit for about 10 min. then rinse real well. Vegas skin is soft, his fur is soft and it smells good. I have no problems with skin issues. Oohh and his shedding decreased tremendously with this shampoo.

NJBullyMommy

Apr 20, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (Bruty, Bru Bru, Brutus Maximus)
I agree with everyone so far...I've never had a problem with an oatmeal based shampoo and they smell so yummy after :)

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
This is a very helpful thread. May i butt in and ask, do you give your dogs a bath in the bathtub or do you use one of those tubs you can buy for babies? i have yet to bathe/shampoo Tate and i think it's about time now!:eek:

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION]. as little as Tate is I would personally use the sink in your kitchen, before long your back is going to kill you bathing him in the tub!! I use the tub when it is cool out and right now being high 90's plus wicked humidity I take him out to our cement drive way and use the hose outside. He loves the hose so it is kind of a game with us, and soooo much easier than lifting a 63 lb. bully in and out of the tub!!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION]. as little as Tate is I would personally use the sink in your kitchen, before long your back is going to kill you bathing him in the tub!! I use the tub when it is cool out and right now being high 90's plus wicked humidity I take him out to our cement drive way and use the hose outside. He loves the hose so it is kind of a game with us, and soooo much easier than lifting a 63 lb. bully in and out of the tub!!

The kitchen sink is something i did not think about...i wonder if i can even get him in there? he can be so squirmy. I have low back problems already so i don't want to aggravate that but how about taking a bath w/your dog? does anyone do that?
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION], hosing Vegas outside is a great idea!

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION], uummm... something about taking a bath with Vegas is very unappealing to me he would probably try to hump me, :lmao: , but I think Tate would be OK in the sink you will just have to watch him closely. Hosing outside is so great, no clean up afterwards but to spray the drive-way down.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
hahahaha!! too funny!!! that's right, i forgot about Vegas and his um, humping.

i'd love to do the outside hose thing too except i live in a condo and don't have a yard. Still tho, something to think about if i take him to my brother's house this wknd and hose him there :dance3:

OP
Wlw9x

Wlw9x

May 10, 2011
Gardendale, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Katie
For some reason, I can't figure out how to do the @____ thing.. but I have a big tile shower with a seat in it, and the shower head can be taken down from the rack thing so that I can spray her good. We just use my shower!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=2363]Wlw9x[/MENTION]..you just do the @ symbol and then put in the user name you want to get a notice to read your post. [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION]..we use the tub for Jake..but the shower thing would be perfiect! We usually do our dogs outside with a hose in the summer..but Jake won't get that until it's warmer! We do rinse in warm water! They have outside shower apparatus that uses water supply by hot water heater and is just a spray nozzle. Just for dogs..vie seen it in pet supply catalogs. Here in California..think outside is great in summer! Yay Tate..go...

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I use the kitchen sink until they are too big and then use the tub. I also use the shower sprayer. I like the sink because it is a good time to teach them not to squirm when you are taking care of them. With all of the face cleaning, etc., they have to get used to being still while you are grooming them.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.