Thread: bone cancer

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    lex 19 months
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default bone cancer

so a few days ago i found out that lex's mom, maggie, has been having problems walking, that it has gotten so bad that she couldnt even walk. last yr she had broken her back leg "not sure how" and they thought that something was wrong with her back leg. the breeder took her to the vet today and they told her that maggie has bone cancer and it had spread all over and into her lungs and is heretitary. they ended up putting her down today she was such a sweet baby girl. she just said that we will have to keep a close eye on lexter. this news breaks my heart for them and for us, because im in the dark right now and not sure what to think or do. we have dr's app this coming mon for a skin scrapping to make sure all the mites are gone, so i guess we are gonna have to talk to our vet and see what we should do w lex. maybe testing him every 6 months?
    i found out today that maggies mom died of bone cancer but she was 8yrs old when she passed, and they are wondering why she got it so early at 2 yrs old.

i dont know all the details yet she was to upset to really get into the details but when she calms down she will inform me.

i am freaking out at this point does anyone know anything about bone cancer in dogs, and what i need to do?
    Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: bone cancer

Oh no. So sorry to hear that. If cancer is like how humans handle them, then good food and exercise should do some good, although not guaranteed. Regular checkups with the vet is a great idea as well. Maybe giving him supplements too, but I don't know which ones at this point.

I can't even imagine how you're feeling. Cancer's a scary thing. Please remember that although it's hereditary, it doesn't mean that Lexter's going to get it. We can only do so much to prevent it, including praying and enjoying every minute with him.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

@lexterwayne..hi..I am so sorry ..I,unfortunately, am very familiar with bone cancer in dogs. Last October, our rescue rottie was diagnosed with bone cancer. I educated myself and was so shocked at what I found. I did find certain breeds are very prone to it. Boxers are the most.followed by rotties..and on down. Engish bulldogs were not in the top 10.. But any breed can unfortunately get this disease. I would bet when Maggie broke her leg..she had this incidious disease. That is one of the side effects. Our rottie only survived 3 weeks after she was diagnosed. We were so terrified the bone would break and since she had massive back problems..we knew surgery was not an option. We promised ourselves we would keep her as comfortable as possible and prayed we would know when it was time. She let us know by just refusing to get up one day. I would tell you that there is nothing you can do to prevent it..but I don't think you should be paranoid lex will get it. There are treatments if caught soon enough..dogs do very well with chemotherapy..and amputation is usually the only option. We discovered it when our Ana started to limp..out of the blue. She had been going to acupuncture for her back issue,so I took her for an extra treatment..thinking she had irritated her back. We could feel a lump and 2 days later took her to our vet. They diagnosed her through x-rays and didn't need to do a biopsy. I would tell you not to panic. Don't assume your dog will get it. I know it's easier said than done..but don't let the fear of this disease run your life. The odds are your sweet lex will be fine.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

I am so sorry. Hopefully Lex's dad's genes have got him covered.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mocha Bubbles
    Likes (Received)

All you can do is try to learn as much as possible about it, and I think is a great idea to have Lex checked every six months;it will ease your mind.
    LisaMarie

Bulldog(s) Names
    lex 19 months
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@ jakeisgreat I really appreciate what you have said and if I have any ?'s I'll contact you!!! And yes I hope lex has more if his dads genes!!

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Oh no never a nice thing to hear! I am wishing, hoping and praying that gene skipped your handsome little boy

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Bulldog(s) Names
    lex 19 months
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

she finally sent me a message on fb heres what she said:

hey there. sorry. i havent been ignorign you guys. its been total CHAOS up here. had threedeaths in teh family, a parent in the hospital and my gramps had emergency heart surgery. ugh. yesterday i had to put mggie to sleep. three weeks ago. her front right leg she was limping on. so i took her to the vet. they said it ws a pulled muscle. so they gave her some doggie motrin. it didnt help. last wek it progressed to all her legs limping, and she was really hot. over the weekend she couldnt walk at all. so i took her to the vet yesterday, they did an x ray and her bones were deteriorating from cancer. it looked as if a moth was eatign away hebones around the joints. it was horrible. plus it was spread through her lungs, an everywhere else, all in less than three weeks. so i had to put her tosleeep. there was not even a month or two with doggie chemo. it was bad, and spread rapidly. they said it is VERY VERY rare in young dogs. its common in older dogs, like past the age of 8. it totally sucks. but we burried her out at my aunts house in a filed under the trees. its where sh eloved to go. and we put a bud light between her paws. we all know how she loved bud light. i was the worst thign i have ever had to do. signing that paper to put my dog to sleep, i was shaking. she was laid to sleep at the vets office on the grass outside. so she didnt pass in on the table in a room. its just heartbreaking. i am really sorry to tell you

i replied asking her what the vet said about her pups and if they needed to be checked or what and havent heard anything.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

maggie on the left, lex's brother loki, and lex

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

That just breaks my heart. R.I.P. Maggie.

I hope you get some info soon about the chances of Lex being affected. I would ask when I took Lex to the vet next. You must be beside yourself with worry. Wish I could bring you a big hug!

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Hi@ lexterwayne..thanks for posting the email. Amazing how fast bone cancer is in dogs. In our Ana's case..we had about 3 weeks from time she was diagnosed too. My vet knew immediately..even before the xray confirmed. Really..not good on their vets part to NOT do an xray. True..it wouldn't have changed the outcome but poor Maggie wouldn't have had to be in pain. And I am all about NO pain for my critters. Our girls cancer had not spread when she was diagnosed..but it moves quickly. I bet a ton that when Maggie mysteriously broke her leg months before..she had already been attacked by this disease. Dogs legs don't break for no reason. It does eat from the inside out..destroying the bone and that's why they break. We were told we didn't want that to happen because it's so very painful. Brings back so many horrible memories. I do hope you take comfort that their vet also says how rare it is in young dogs. And bulldogs are NOT a primary carrier of this. It can happen to any dog..please don't worry yourself sick over this. Sigh...

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Oh that is heartbreaking..... Hope you hear from her soon about what the vet says. Perhaps a consult with your vet would not hurt just to let them know about Lex's mom. I am very sorry I know you are hurting right now.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Lucy-licious

Oh @lexterwayne I am so sorry and really don't know what to say except I hope with all my heart that Lex wil be OK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads