bone cancer

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Oh[MENTION=2378]bullylovers01[/MENTION]..I so know how your heart is breaking right now. The shock of that diagnosis is unbelievable. We also were totally unprepared. Even though our rottie had severe back problems..her legs were not an issue..so when she developed a limp, the thought of bone cancer was not in our reality. Fortunately for us..our vet sensed it immediately and it only took a couple x-rays to confirm. Our vet told us that by the time it can be seen on an xray..in 99% of the cases..it has already spread. She was very honest with us and for this I am grateful. I just attended a fundraiser today for canine cancer..it's amazing how prevalent it is. Good luck to you and your precious chuewy....

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=1041]lexterwayne[/MENTION]..I am glad you are seeing your vet tomorrow. This is such a hard time for you. One thing for you to hold onto..the limping from bone cancer NEVER goes away. Once they show the signs of pain..the pain is always there. We had our Ana on the very strongest pain meds and even brain interceptor drugs to stop her pain..and she still limped.so the odds are that your sweet Lex really did pull a muscle. I will be thinking positive thoughts for you. I'm sure your vet will do an xray and that will show you what you need to know. Let us know!

bullylovers01

May 12, 2011
North West Tennesee
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunker & Mattie
Our thoughts are with you as well. I would strongly sugest consulting with a vet who specializes in oncology. Bone cancer can spread rapidly depending on which type and even as rare as it may be can spread to the lungs. Most people do not know that arthirtic changes mimic those of bone cancer in the begining stages. Another sugestion would be to have your vet do a full body xray. Even then a vet is not certain until a biopsy is performed. I would say that if your baby may have pulled a muscle last year and every now and then limps leaving you to believe it from a previous injury always have it checked out. In my experience, if they say it is arthritus. go back in after 2 to 3 months and have them xray again to monitor the progress. If it is bone cancer and you catch it early it can be treated. Though there is no cure for cancer there is still hope and a warm hart full of love from you to your babies and your babies to you. Any time you need to talk or vent Myself (Franki) & my partner (Julie) are always around. we are also linked to facebook on here if i did it right!!!

OP
lexterwayne

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
Well good news and bad news... Good news is the Iimp he was having over the weekend is due to a cut on his paw pad!!!! He checked him over and wants us to check him and jut watch him if any joint or anything starts swelling.
Bad news is we went for a check up to see if he was 2 weeks mange free, he did several scrapes and they have come back again ugh!!! So he got dipped today again, 9th tome by the way, and now we are doing drops on his back. It's a flea and tick medicine but also helps w killing all the little mites! So luckily we don't have to go back until 2 weeks we are ALL Hoping this medicine will help clear the rest of those buggers up! I did suggest lex just move in for a while since he's always at the office, the girls and even dr said that's fine we love him here he's so awesome to be around.. Awwww... Man it sucks not being able to do the smiley faces on the phone :( thanks again guys for thesupport and tellin me about it and the signs of it all I really do appreciate it!! O and bullylovers01 what's your fb and I'll add ya!

bullylovers01

May 12, 2011
North West Tennesee
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunker & Mattie
Glad to hear the good news on Lex. So Sorry about the mange coming back though... for generations in my family we have always used original listerine on our animals. Keep us up to date on the mange.
also our facebook name is Franki N Julie Ramos if you cant locate us that way try my email which is [email protected] we would love to have you and anyone else as friends on here and facebook

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Im so glad that things are ok mostly. Sorry about the mange though. Will pray for that to get better and that its just a pad problem and not something else. That is good news. Let us know how the mange issue is.

Last edited:

bullylovers01

May 12, 2011
North West Tennesee
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunker & Mattie
I posted this on Facebook just a little bit ago....We got some GOOD, ENCOURAGING NEWS TODAY REGARDING CHUEWY!!!

Chuewy's saw his new Dr. today....He agreed it is bone cancer according to the xrays....HE drew blood today, which has YET to be done and also did FULL BODY xrays to see if the cancer has spread.....IT HAS NOT!!!!!!!!!!!! While we understan...d that xrays are not 100% accurate, there were no signs of cancer that the Dr. could see!! He agrees that amputation is the best choice for Chuewy....and will send off for a biopsy to see which kind of bone cancer he has so it can be treated appropriatly. His lab work was great except for his RBCs and Hematocrit are a little low, which is most likely from the Chemo he's on. On April 29, 2011, I specifically asked our former vet if they could do blood work to check for cancer...the response we were given was "The markers arnt high enough to test" (???) ok....then I asked what about a biopsy.....the response we were given was "With it being this advanced, there is no reason to have one done.....it is bone cancer". Then I asked " what if it's just confined to his leg....and you amputate...if it's not spread anywhere else, looks like he would have a good chance of living....can you xray his body to see if it has?" The response we were given was "There is no sense in doing that because I'm telling you, it's already spread thru him and even with amputation, he only has aprox. 6mo to live." Well guess what, YOU WERE WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!

I understand that Drs. can be wrong sometimes, but I'm a nurse and while I may not be a Dr. or the smartest woman in the world, I refused to settle for "Let's just amputate and he might live 6 mos." I asked our former vet these questions MUTIPLE TIMES and got the same response...."Even amputation isnt going to make him live longer"....Well Chuewy just might prove you wrong!!! I know I did today!!! It's amazing how you trust your babies life with someone and then get a slap in the face....I'm so glad we had this 2nd opinion done....I told Chuewy as soon as we found all of this out over 2 weeks ago that I would NOT give up.....And I won't!!!

Please continue to pray for him...and as far as donations are concerned, if you want to donate, just send me a post or email thru facebook and I'll give you our address to mail it....Again, thank yall for reading this and keeping Chuewy in your prayers....

Franki, Julie, & Chuewy :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yay!! Glad you found a vet that listens to you. Dogs do perfectly fine with amputation. They are amazing. Our rottie wasn't a candidate for it..because her back was so bad...but this is wonderful news. I also know dogs do great on chemotherapy. Not like us..I think it's because they don't know what they are supposed to feel like. Good positive news..thanks!

bullylovers01

May 12, 2011
North West Tennesee
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunker & Mattie
Hey everyone...sorry to have waited this long but been busy today. Saw Chuewy today and he is Up & At Em!!! They thought he would be out allll day & nite....NOT CHUEWY lol..He's a fighter. He wants to come home tomorrow for his Mommy's Birthday!! We are so thankful for everyone's prayers!! The Dr. doesn't suspect any more cancer is there....This is the best day!!

OP
lexterwayne

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
That's great news. What a wonderful birthday present!!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Happy Birthday. Glad you got some good news for it.

BabeEnglishBulldog

Feb 17, 2011
You must bring her to vet every once in a while. He may be in need of immediate surgery to prevent the spread of cancer. What stage is her bone cancer?

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
YAY! That is WONDERFUL NEWS!!!! I am so happy for you. Wow...YAY!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.