VIKKI~ hEARTWORM POSITIVE

melanie

Aug 6, 2010
N.Florida (Perry)
Bulldog(s) Names
ZEEK & STANLEY
Vikki has had her 1st trip to the vet and unfortunately its not the outcome we wanted to hear, She tested positive for hookworms as well as Heartworms, Her shortness of breath and coughing was sure sign just something I wasn't aware of..... She started her hookworm medicine. and
now we have 2 options, 1 heartgaurd for 4 mos, then4 mos of treatment with no guarantees, or option 2 no treatment at all... Vikki's weight was 44 lbs he didn't seem to think she was starved because since I have had her she will barely eat, I have ordered her Avoderm, hoping a good food with the right nutrients will help... all feedback is appreciated, right now our hearts our torn, WE ALL just cant bare the thought of getting attached and losing her too, shes so full of love & we don't want to see anything happen to her I have no experience or knowledge of heart worms...

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
:(Sorry about that. I would do the heartguard and the follow up treatment.I dont know other alternatives but I would think it is the best way to go. Seems strange not to do anything. You are taking a good step by changing the food. Hopefully you get more replies. :heart:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would try the treatment, I mean it couldn't hurt her right? Hopefully once you rid of those hookworms she will have a better appetite for you. Keep us posted, looking forward to new pics of that beautiful girl! :hug2:

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I would do the treatmeant. Like another poster said, maybe when she gets rid of those hookworms, she will eat better as well. I am very sorry about the heartworms. I wish more owners would give the preventative to their dogs! You see this a lot in Basset rescue in Florida. There are MANY dogs that come in with heartworms. Most of them respond very well to treatment though during treatment they do require special care.

Good luck and I hope she is feeling better soon! I know her spirits have to be raised with you giving your love :)

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I hope you opt for treatment. And I hope it goes well.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.