Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Something scary happened. What could it mean?

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Something scary happened. What could it mean?

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo49ers View Post
    I am sad that you had to experience what you did, but Thankful that Gypsy is okay. I do have experience with this situation, and not something I would want anyone to go through. I had a female bully, Ruby (RIP), that passed away Thanksgiving evening 2008, from Aspiration at 5 months old. She was eating her food and gave a Yelp as though she possibly was choking. She walked away from her bowl and tried to hide behind the couch. I immediately went to her and cleared her mouth in case she had choked on food, but there was none. In a matter of seconds her gums turned blue and she went limp, but her heart never stopped beating, therefore I could not do any CPR. We rushed to the nearest Emergency Vet and they put her in an oxygen cage. They took xrays and they showed no blockage, but her lungs were full of fluid. They tried to intubate her but she continued to bleed profusely and eventually passed away. The vet said that her capillaries in her lungs bursted and filled her lungs with blood. It took me awhile before I could even think of getting another pup. I took a Pet CPR class because I wanted to be sure that I would be able to respond, if ever need be again. Today I have another female bully named Roxy and she will be 2 years old in July. I was very cautious around feeding time, and I also purchased a feeding ball from Petsmart that helps to slow them down when eating. I also put her on bigger sized puppy kibble, so she would have to chew instead of just swallowing her food. I wish you the best and I hope I was of some help to you. Take care.
    I am so sorry this happened to Ruby. I know how you must have felt at that moment (totally helpless). I will go to the feed store tonight and find something to help her with this. I feed her Fromm which has very small kibble. I will ask around for suggestions for food with a bigger size kibble. Until I do, I will hand feed her only a couple of pieces at a time. Someone suggested using a Kong with just a few pieces at a time.

It was truly terrifying! She has only been with us a week and we already have her in our hearts VERY firmly. If anything happened, it would be devastating.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mocha Bubbles
    Likes (Received)

Yikes! that was scary! I agree maybe she is eating way to fast. I think a slow feedre would be great for her, that way if this does happens again you might want to have her checked by the vets.
    LisaMarie

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    Wow..@gizmo49ers..that is a horrible story. I am so sorry. This did convince me it's time to get a slow feeding bowl for Jake. He inhales his food. I thank you for this info. I'm sure it's still painful for you.
    where can we get a slow feeding bowl? regular pet store?

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cali baker View Post
    where can we get a slow feeding bowl? regular pet store?
    Yes..petsmart and petco have them. You can also put a LARGE rock in center of dish they have. I did that today until I get bowl. Worked fine. Bet you can find online too.

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I have gone with a rock too as @JAKEISGREAT suggested. I couldn't get to the store. I also just put a few pieces of kibble in at a time. About 15 or so. It took a loooooooong time for her to eat but I do not EVER want to have that happen again! Thank you to everyone for your thoughts and suggestions!!!! What would I do without you guys!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rocko
    Likes (Received)

Im so sorry about what happened, two nights ago it happened to Rocko he walked away from his bowl and went under the table and wasnt breathing I freaked and went to go grab him but he seamed to clear whatever he had and started breathing again. It was horrible seeing that, I cant even imagine what you had to go through.

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Orion has done that also....except she wasn't eating. She was trying to throw up, and she was doing the heaving. She kept heaving and nothing came up. Finally, after about 2 mins of heaving, she finally threw up, then passed out. (basically fell over but was still conscious) Lack of oxygen. She recovered real quick, but I never figured out why she was heaving. Nothing but stomach acid came up.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Brodie
    Likes (Received)

Brodie has done this twice before but not while eating. My son was holding him by his collar and he was trying to pull away from my son and he is very strong so my son was actually unintentionally choking Brodie while he was pulling. He fell on his side just for a second. Needless to say no one touches him by the collar again!!!!! It was sooooo scary.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads