My dog is scratching

sharkpah

May 3, 2011
Hihi

My 4 months old puppy has been scratching for some time now, but I recently noticed that it has gotten just a LITTLE bit more often? and longer?

that got my attention and concerns a little
well i have been watching him since the beginning too

he had a little fungi problem under his belly two weeks ago and went to the vet

even during the check up, i mentioned that he scratches his head and belly area. the doc didn't find any fleas or tics and gave me a medication for the fungi.

even now, i tried to look for tic or flea, but nothing

any ideas??

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
First question some people here is gonna ask is what are you feeding your pup. It could be a food allergy, or some other kind of allergy.

OP
S

sharkpah

May 3, 2011
I'm feeding him Canidae All Life Stages

and recently changed shampoo from petco conditioning and shampoo
to Four Paws Magic Coat hypo allergenic oatmeal shampoo thinking shampoo could be a factor

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Canidae is rated a 5* food but that doesn't mean it's the right food for your bully. It really is a case of trial and error when it comes to their food. How long has he been on Canidae and what flavour is it ... does it have chicken or other poultry in it??

OP
S

sharkpah

May 3, 2011
it has chicken and turkey.....
come to think of it...
I recently switched lamb and rice to all life stages,,, and scratching escalated...
you think it's the food??

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Sounds like some sort of allergy. If not the food than perhaps spring time seasonal allergies. From my own experiences and many others on this site, it usually always involves food issues.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Could very well be the food,,,, especially if the itching accelerated when you changed. Bullies are all different as to what food works. What works for one may not work for yours so buy small bags till you find the right one but give each a long enough trial to be sure it does or doesn't work.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
You'll find that a lot of us on here have bullies with allergies to chicken. It seems to be fairly common in bulldogs - we only just recently found this out with Maggie. She can take the food with just a bit of chicken in it, but when we give her the actual Fromm chicken n Veg flavour then it's bad. Might be worth trying a different protein source and see if that helps!! If not it could be seasonal allergies, but it may be worth trying a different brand of food.

NJBullyMommy

Apr 20, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (Bruty, Bru Bru, Brutus Maximus)
Did the vet check his ears too? If he's scratching at his head and ears he might have an ear infection. Like everyone else said here it could be the food, but it also could be the seasonal allergies. They are super bad this year and my Brutus had really no problem last year, but this year his nose is all runny. Benedryl worked amazingggg for him! :)

OP
S

sharkpah

May 3, 2011
Thanks for all the help guys!

Yes the vet also checked the ears too.

I went out and got Fromm beef and veg first thing in the morning.

Now that i think about it and with your helpful advices, i think the food has to do with it.

he definitely started to shed more and scratch more.
let's see if Fromm beef works with my Dukey

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2328]sharkpah[/MENTION] Make sure that you change him over to the fromm beef VERY gradually or he will get an upset stomach.

OP
S

sharkpah

May 3, 2011
some updates from dukey

he's doin much better! i'm very surprised to see first of all, all his eye boogers are gone!

his scratching definitely decreased, however the coat doesn't look as shiny before??

ehh im not sure =/

but food def helped i guess
i just can't wait to get him fully on fromm because he is still getting 50% of the old Canidae haha

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
YAY! Sounds like so far he it is working for him. I hope it continues to improve his issues. A lot of us here use the Fromm Beef and it works great for us.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online