Tail Pocket Issues

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Wow [MENTION=2298]luvdogz[/MENTION] sounds like you have your hands full. A Bully on a diet? Talk about a dog in a bad mood! lol. Anyway, I am sure you know to keep that pocket clean and dry.

Welcome to EBN. Now, you know we will be hitting both you and [MENTION=2307]Shiny Thach[/MENTION] up for pictures right?

LauraB

Feb 4, 2011
Reynoldsburg, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Hi there! So you and Rondo live in Columbus, so do Lola and I. Anyway, back to your post.....I had a tail pocket infection with Lola. It was so painful to her and I felt so bad as I was unaware of the issue. I had given her a bath the night before and evidently didn't rinse enough or dry enough. She wouldn't eat, she would run from spot to spot and cry. Bulldogs are pretty stoic so as it progressed the next day or two and it was over the weekend I could not believe how much pain she was exhibiting. Of course I rushed her to the vet Monday and he used steroids, antibiotics etc. and she improved pretty quickly. He shaved the entire area aound her tail too. I cried for her at vets, felt like a niny. But as he explained, it has to be kept clean and dry at all times.

Yes bulldogs are so expensive to maintain. Right now I have just gone through two dog foods trying to get the yeast in her wrinkles to lighten up. But I really think she has seasonal allergies too. Plus she overheats easily. And we have a toe infection as well! But as any of us know, the love they give is so different! I'd be lost without her.

Anyway, my email is [email protected]. I am not an expert but am interested in friends for Lola. I joined a Columbus meet up group but have been bad about logging in and seem to miss most of the notices. I also know another gal in Delaware who has joint custody of her bullie with her ex.. Hope your baby is feeling better! I am here researching for the tear stains/wrinkle information today. Food only did not do it!

OP
S

Shiny Thach

Apr 30, 2011
Columbus, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Rondo
Yes, [MENTION=1816]LauraB[/MENTION], Rondo and I are from Columbus, Ohio as well! Your experience with Lola's tail freightens me! Hopefully Rondo's gets better, I have seen a very minor improvement since my last post. So how long ago did this tail infection occur? and Have you been able to maintain the cleanliness since?

[MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION], thanks! I'm still trying to get the hang of this site! I will definitely post some pictures though! I have a ton saved! I think I take at least one picture of Rondo everyday. Amazing how he can sense when the camera is on him! he'll look away. lol

LauraB

Feb 4, 2011
Reynoldsburg, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Hello Rondo's Mom!

Lola's tail has done well. I think it was more the shampoo and over wetness when I gave her that bath. I really didn't understand fully how darned important it is to keep it dry. Never will I so thoroughly wash with Shampoo without really washing and drying so many times. I know now how to check too. Since we got it cleaned up we have not had any problems. I try really hard to watch her and clean her butt often and check the tail pocket often. Of course it is much easler now that it has fully recovered.

I will say a little prayer his clears up the rest of the way. Laura and Lola!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
[MENTION=2307]Shiny Thach[/MENTION] have you figured out how to post pics? Can't wait!

Afoster1314

Apr 22, 2014
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Ozzy and Daisy
How do you apply the Gold Bond Powder up there since there is no nozel on it.?
I use the medicated gold bond powder in the blue bottle. I put a mound of it in my hand then rub it into Daisy's (my bully) tail. I make sure I have enough to get it up into the pocket of her tail. She begs me to do this every night before she goes to bed. It's a bit easy for me to do since my dog looks foward to it. The last time she had a vet checkup her vet told me that she had one of the cleanest tails and pocket that he had ever seen. It also stops her from scooting around to try and itch.

Members online

No members online now.