Thread: Heart Murmur

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Heart Murmur

During Samson's annual exam a heart murmur was discovered. One a scale of 1 to 6 (1 being the most minor case) she rated him at a 1. She wasn't particularly worried about it, just told me she would make sure it was noted on his file so during his next exam they can make sure to listen closely for any changes. So I am not terribly worried but it does bother me, I certainly wish she hadn't found ANYTHING! Anyone have experience with bullys and heart murmurs? Or really any breed and heart murmurs?

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Nikki
    Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Heart Murmur

I know its hard to hear your baby as anything "wrong" with him but I wouldnt stress to much at a 1 rating. I have known several bullies with murmurs that live long healthy lives. I would consider heart healthy supplements and and excercise to make sure Samson stays as healthy as he can be...for as long as he can be
    Last edited by NikkiSchoolcraft; 05-07-2011 at 09:55 PM.
    "I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive." <3

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Oh I am so sorry to hear, I do not know much about them at all. It being only a "1" is good tho.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Yes..a 1 rating is definitely nothing to stress over. Like people with murmurs..extra care would be taken for surgeries or anesthesia related procedures. We have had friends whose dogs and cats had far worse and lived long healthy lives!

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I have a heart murmur. It would probably rate a 1. I don't have to take any precautions at all with the dentist. But I get it checked every 3 months when I see my endocrinologist.

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

I was diagnosed with a murmur as a kid. But in adult exams it hasn't been noted. I had a bout with anemia a few years ago that was causing some very disturbing chest pains/spasms so they did a full heart work up. Cardiologist determined my heart was just fine. So sometimes they must just go away too.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
    Likes (Received)

Sebastian was diagnosed with a grade 3 murmur at 6 weeks. At nine weeks he had an echo done and they said it was severe Pulmonic Stenosis. He isn't a candidate for surgery because his coronary arteries are too narrow, but when you see him you would never know that there is anything wrong with him and at 4 1/2 months he weighs 23 pounds and is just a little on the small side, but that is the only difference. He doesn't know that there is anything wrong with him and gets mad at me when I have to make him quit wrestling and playing with Oliver because he's getting too winded. My vet said that he will probably have a shortened life span, but how short she can't say. It's all up to Sebastian and at the rate he's going I think he's going to outlive us all. He just had another check up and things haven't changed, no worse, no better. I'm sorry Samson got the diagnosis, but he will be just fine and you will have no worries.
    Sebastian's nares are also very narrow, so in a couple of months I'm getting them clipped and he's getting neutered at the same time and my vet told me to make sure that when I schedule it that they also schedule their vet tech to be able to stay with him at times while he's under and coming out of anesthesia, she does not want him left alone at any time while he is there even after surgery and he's awake again. The nares surgery is obviously needed to open his airways and I decided to get him neutered this young because I don't want to have to have put on anesthesia again.

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

I'm confident that Samson will be juuuuuuuuuuuust fine. Give him a from me

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

I'm so sorry to hear about this! I am glad the murmur is mild but it is still troubling. But now is when all that great care you take of him pays off - he's healthy, a good weight, and strong - and that will serve him well and lead to many more happy years.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Hard to hear anything not positive isnt it? Sam will be just fine I am sure. I wonder if he even could have had it all this time and they didnt notice it before? I know a LOT of people with mild heart murmurs who didnt even know most their life they had one, so in people I do know it is very common and would assume in pups it is ok also, being a mild one that is.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cali~jenn View Post
    Hard to hear anything not positive isnt it? Sam will be just fine I am sure. I wonder if he even could have had it all this time and they didnt notice it before? I know a LOT of people with mild heart murmurs who didnt even know most their life they had one, so in people I do know it is very common and would assume in pups it is ok also, being a mild one that is.
    I doubt he has always had it because he has been to the vet ALOT in his life (at least 10-15 exams, 3 surgeries, etc) so in all those times I would have a hard time believing that they would have never discovered that, especially during the stays for surgery. I asked if it was something that he could have developed because he is getting older (he's 5 years old now) and she said yes. As I understand he can live with this his whole life with it never changing from anything more than this very minor heart murmur or this could be the beginning of heart disease. We'll see, I'm not freaking out yet. I do know of people, such as my brother, that have a heart murmur that are perfectly healthy, I just have never dealt with a doggy heart murmur before.

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)

I'm not sure if its the same for humans as dogs. But my Fiancee has a pretty bad heart murmur and she has been in sports her whole life and is just fine. I hope the same goes for samson

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads