Heart Murmur

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
During Samson's annual exam a heart murmur was discovered. One a scale of 1 to 6 (1 being the most minor case) she rated him at a 1. She wasn't particularly worried about it, just told me she would make sure it was noted on his file so during his next exam they can make sure to listen closely for any changes. So I am not terribly worried but it does bother me, I certainly wish she hadn't found ANYTHING! Anyone have experience with bullys and heart murmurs? Or really any breed and heart murmurs?

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
I know its hard to hear your baby as anything "wrong" with him but I wouldnt stress to much at a 1 rating. I have known several bullies with murmurs that live long healthy lives. I would consider heart healthy supplements and and excercise to make sure Samson stays as healthy as he can be...for as long as he can be

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh I am so sorry to hear, I do not know much about them at all. It being only a "1" is good tho.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yes..a 1 rating is definitely nothing to stress over. Like people with murmurs..extra care would be taken for surgeries or anesthesia related procedures. We have had friends whose dogs and cats had far worse and lived long healthy lives!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I have a heart murmur. It would probably rate a 1. I don't have to take any precautions at all with the dentist. But I get it checked every 3 months when I see my endocrinologist.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I was diagnosed with a murmur as a kid. But in adult exams it hasn't been noted. I had a bout with anemia a few years ago that was causing some very disturbing chest pains/spasms so they did a full heart work up. Cardiologist determined my heart was just fine. So sometimes they must just go away too.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Sebastian was diagnosed with a grade 3 murmur at 6 weeks. At nine weeks he had an echo done and they said it was severe Pulmonic Stenosis. He isn't a candidate for surgery because his coronary arteries are too narrow, but when you see him you would never know that there is anything wrong with him and at 4 1/2 months he weighs 23 pounds and is just a little on the small side, but that is the only difference. He doesn't know that there is anything wrong with him and gets mad at me when I have to make him quit wrestling and playing with Oliver because he's getting too winded. My vet said that he will probably have a shortened life span, but how short she can't say. It's all up to Sebastian and at the rate he's going I think he's going to outlive us all. He just had another check up and things haven't changed, no worse, no better. I'm sorry Samson got the diagnosis, but he will be just fine and you will have no worries.
Sebastian's nares are also very narrow, so in a couple of months I'm getting them clipped and he's getting neutered at the same time and my vet told me to make sure that when I schedule it that they also schedule their vet tech to be able to stay with him at times while he's under and coming out of anesthesia, she does not want him left alone at any time while he is there even after surgery and he's awake again. The nares surgery is obviously needed to open his airways and I decided to get him neutered this young because I don't want to have to have put on anesthesia again.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I'm confident that Samson will be juuuuuuuuuuuust fine. Give him a :Muah:from me :muah2:

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I'm so sorry to hear about this! I am glad the murmur is mild but it is still troubling. But now is when all that great care you take of him pays off - he's healthy, a good weight, and strong - and that will serve him well and lead to many more happy years.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Hard to hear anything not positive isnt it? Sam will be just fine I am sure. I wonder if he even could have had it all this time and they didnt notice it before? I know a LOT of people with mild heart murmurs who didnt even know most their life they had one, so in people I do know it is very common and would assume in pups it is ok also, being a mild one that is.

OP
TessaAndSamson

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Hard to hear anything not positive isnt it? Sam will be just fine I am sure. I wonder if he even could have had it all this time and they didnt notice it before? I know a LOT of people with mild heart murmurs who didnt even know most their life they had one, so in people I do know it is very common and would assume in pups it is ok also, being a mild one that is.

I doubt he has always had it because he has been to the vet ALOT in his life (at least 10-15 exams, 3 surgeries, etc) so in all those times I would have a hard time believing that they would have never discovered that, especially during the stays for surgery. I asked if it was something that he could have developed because he is getting older (he's 5 years old now) and she said yes. As I understand he can live with this his whole life with it never changing from anything more than this very minor heart murmur or this could be the beginning of heart disease. We'll see, I'm not freaking out yet. I do know of people, such as my brother, that have a heart murmur that are perfectly healthy, I just have never dealt with a doggy heart murmur before.

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I'm not sure if its the same for humans as dogs. But my Fiancee has a pretty bad heart murmur and she has been in sports her whole life and is just fine. I hope the same goes for samson

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
I have to tell you that Mocha was misdiagnosed and the vet said she had a murmur. The reason why i got her because no one would have wanted to deal with something like this. The first time i took her to the Vets for her vacinations and check up, it was gone!! Perhaps a miracle, but they could not find anything at all! Samson is going to be fine. He has a good mommy that loves Him and takes good care of Him!!:heart:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'm sorry to hear this .... but a grade 1 heart murmur is the lowest and as long as Samson continues to live the life you have given him then I see no reason why he shouldn't have a long and healthy life. You just have to keep doing exactly what you're doing now ... make him the healthiest little bulldog in California!!!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Wow...it is hard to find out there might be any issue, no matter how small or large. I hope you aren't worrying too much. It sounds like it is very mild. I have no experience with this in dogs but my brother and sister have pretty serious heart issues (my sister had open heart surgery when she was 2yo and my brother will need a valve replacement in his 40's possibly) and as long as they stay active without going nuts, keep their weight at a healthy level and go for their check ups, they are doing just fine.

That being said, I think you take wonderful care of Samson! I am sure he will live a healthy, happy life :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.