Puppies back legs

Valerie Abro

May 6, 2011
Hello, this is my first post here but I have been reading and learning a lot from these forums. I am currently in the process of purchasing an English Bulldog, he is currently a little over 4 weeks old and he is chunkier then the rest of the litter which I love! I went to see him today and I noticed that he was having a harder time walking on his hind legs then the rest of the crew. He still manages to move around using them and can stand up, but I noticed that his legs separate a lot. The floor was mostly newspapers which is not ideal for traction but I should I be concerned or is this common at his age? Some of the other dogs were doing the same just not as much, any advise would be very helpful....Thanks!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
there is a condition called "swimmer legs" I know that [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] has a post about it. But then again, he might just be wobbley since he is still young.

OP
V

Valerie Abro

May 6, 2011
Thanks for your reply! I read about the swimmers legs condition but it didn't seem like this was the case because it said that the symptoms of swimmers symptoms are that he would be unable to walk or stand, they lay on their chest and paddle their feet. Our little guy can walk and even run but his back legs seem to slide a lot when he does that but he gets right back up, we weren't sure if it might be because he's bigger then the other puppies or that he's still too young and is just developing slower then the others. Hopefully there is nothing more serious because he is the sweetest thing and we fell in love with him right away!!

bjsfarm

Jan 12, 2011
Narvon PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Butter Cup, Ellie, Double D & CJ. Jr., Max, Doc & Willie
I have a litter of 4 week old Bulldog pups right now and half of them are still doing what you just described. I am not worried.... some just don't get the strength in their legs until they are 5-6 weeks of age. But good traction is the key. I use plush carpet. Another very good way to get them to get strength in their legs is on warm days to let them walk on grass.
Congratulations on your new puppy!! :)

Starrbulldogs

Jul 14, 2010
He is young yet and will be fine! The breeder should have him on lumped up bedding not newspaper but he will start walking better every day. Good luck!!

OP
V

Valerie Abro

May 6, 2011
Thanks so much! We were a little worried since this is our first English Bulldog but I'm glad to hear all the positive feedback... We are SO excited to get him! =)

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Little Miss O had swimmers, but after hobbling her for just 2 days......she was unstoppable. If the pup is atleast moving around, he will get it. I agree, it's probably better if the breeder has the pup on a surface that is lumpy. It helps them learn to walk.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Congrats! Post pictures of your new little guy. Do you have a name picked out yet?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
How exciting to be getting your new puppy!!! At least you are aware that this condition exists and [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] has some very good videos that she made of Orion when she was younger. So in the worst case scenario you are already prepared. But from what everybody says it just sounds like typical puppy walking!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.