Bald spots

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Ever since Samson was little he has got these bald spots. They are just dry spots where it looks like the hair has gone missing. I started supplementing with salmon oil and many have cleared up. However a few have not. They haven't got worse but they just haven't grown in. They are dry and rough feeling and the vet didn't know what they were either. Its not mites and it's not a skin infection. Vet said its unlkeley yo be thyroids because that usually shows bald spots on his sides. These bald spots are on the back of his neck and he has one on his lower back too. Although the vet didn't seem concerned ..I am curious if anyone else has experienced this.

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Hmmm... No experience here but hopefully somebody will have some kind of answers. Do you have pics of it?

OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Yeah I can get some tonight. I'm at work right now! (U know ur addicted to ebn when :eek: ) they don't seem to bother him like he doesn't itch or anything! Just weird ..little spots lol

OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Yes the vet ruled out mange. I feed him NVI. He just started the salmon yesterday and has done chicken the first month and rabbit the second!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It could be dandruff, or a fungus like ringworm. I spent a fortune on yuna trying to figure out the spots she had. Eventually they cleared up with whatever I did-- I have no idea. I was flying around with many dog foods at that time. Maybe trying an anti fungal shampoo from your vet would help, if it is a dry patch like ringworm?

Note ringworm is not a worm! It is a fungus.

OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Still trying to get pics but Fiancee has camera card. I just noticed the skin is darker in the bald areas..?is this a sign of anything?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure, but it does seem like when skin issues are present the skin is darker. A year ago when Molly had that skin infection she looked grey and old.

Bacon

Sep 9, 2010
West Branch Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Hey guys long time no chat! Been super busy with work, school and pregnancy... oh and how can i forget about Bakey!

We are having issues with Bacon losing patches of fur too. It started a few weeks ago and has only gotten worse. We have a vet appt tomorrow morning ill keep you guys posted and see if i learn anything new!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Please do [MENTION=1190]Bacon[/MENTION] nice to see you again!

OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Oh no sorry to hear about Bacon. I hope it's nothing serious

Bacon

Sep 9, 2010
West Branch Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
we took bacon to a new vet this time since we had so many problems with the last one and bacons first cherry eye... and all i have to say is i wish we switched sooner! Bacon actually let her touch him and look at his skin and eye without any growling or problems, it was a nice change.

She thinks he either has a staff infection or ring worm. we did the fungal test but she said it can take up to two weeks for the results, so in the meantime she decided to treat him for the infection just in case so it doesnt get any worse if thats what it is.

She also seemed very knowledgeable about his cherry eye and we now have a course of treatment for that, so hopefully we can get that fixed in the next few weeks!

I will try to get some pics of up of Bacons spots tomorrow. [MENTION=2106]mbuxx[/MENTION] does the skin in these areas seem to have a smell to them? just wondering because kyle told me he thought Bacons smelled kinda... yeasty...( im not sure if thats really the word im looking for... but they seemed to leave a smell on his fingers after he touched them)

MollyPalmer

Apr 28, 2011
Two days ago I noticed a small bald patch on Peyton. It's on the top of her hips, right in the spot people like to scratch. I thought maybe she is just sensitive from too much love, but I think I'll try anti fungal shampoo to be sure. Any suggestions on brand? Any possible negative side effects (like making dry skin worse?)

NJBullyMommy

Apr 20, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (Bruty, Bru Bru, Brutus Maximus)
Yeah I can get some tonight. I'm at work right now! (U know ur addicted to ebn when :eek: ) they don't seem to bother him like he doesn't itch or anything! Just weird ..little spots lol

It's ok...I'm at work too on EBN shhhhhh :p

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Have you ever looked into this.. Nu-Stock Topical Treatment if you google it their website comes up.
Duke was shaved for his allergy test and all of his hair did not grow back , a friend of mine recommended this to me says it is amazing stuff. we ordered and are waiting for it in the mail! :confused: will let you know if it works! there is a boxer on the website who had a bald spot and after using his hair grew completely back

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.