frontline allergy

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
ive been having problems with annies skin for a few weeks now and have changed from kibble to raw feeding thinking it was food related,then she came into season had urine infection ,vet prescribed antibiotics and said her itching was due to hormonal changes,i have been soothing annies itching with dermacton and all was well with very little itching,yesterday i applied her regular frontline and what a severe reaction she has had ,within 10 hours she was bloodied and scabby with puss ,went to the vets and he said that its a severe reaction to frontline,i could kick myself ,she doesnt even have fleas!!!,but as its summer her i thought id better cover her,i will never use frontline again ,i will just give her garlic ,i will get her some milk thistle to cleanse her liver and try and get the pestacides out of her system,talk about a worry lol,karen

kiss1069

Dec 30, 2010
Amarillo,Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Coda
I dont know if any of you do this but when summer comes around i get a small tub of liver and place garlic powder all over it. Then i proceed to to cook it low and slow till its like jerky. I then slice it into small strips and give it to my babies as a treat. Too much garlic is bad for them but this way they get some along with the liver and they thoroughly enjoy it.

kiss1069

Dec 30, 2010
Amarillo,Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Coda
[MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION] so did the vet mention benadryl for future reference??? my german shepherd had an allergic reaction to it also and her face swoll up so bad but a benadryl and several minutes later her face went back to normal and no more problems after that.

NJBullyMommy

Apr 20, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (Bruty, Bru Bru, Brutus Maximus)
Awww poor baby! I hope she feels better soon! I give Brutus Benedryl for reactions and it works great. We tried these new bath wipes and it made him puff up and turn all red. After about 15 min you could tell the Benedryl kicked in and it all went down :)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
This isn't the first time I've heard of an allergy to frontline ..... :down:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
It's on my mind too..this whole pesticide on my pup! He got his 1st dose of revolution last month and his poo was a bit runny. Couldn't decide if it was my imagination or not..almost time for 2nd dose..and I DONT WANT TO GIVE IT HIM!!! Eeek

OP
karenben

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
thanks,the vet reported the frontline as its a condition here when there is a reaction,vet gave her antihistamines and antibiotics,ive just come in from work and bathed her though she is quite poorly at the moment,her undercarriage is burning up so have put plenty of dermacton on her,i almost didnt buy the frontline as i hate putting chemicals on her but with having a cat i thought id better just in case,i will never use it again ,im using garlic and herbs from now on ,after what ive read about it its very scary ,i should have done my homework first like i usually do ,now my poor dog is suffering for my ignorance ,but when vets recomend things you tend to believe them thank goodness i have a bulldog friendly vet,karen

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh Karen don't beat yourself up about it, the stores and the vets sell it so it leads the consumer to believe it is safe. You were trying to protect her.... Don't feel like it's all your fault. (hug)

OP
karenben

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
its hard not to but i know these things happen,i honestly thought that she had allergy to kibble thats why i switched her to raw,then vet thought hormonal but all along it seems like the frontline toxicity has been building up,ive read that a lot of dogs have developed epilepsy,neuro problems and endless amounts of allergy due to frontline ,i think everyone should be made aware of the possible side effects before considering pesticides which when you think about it thats exactly what frontline is,karen

L

Lucy-licious

I too have cats [MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION] one house nad one really good mouser, as he likes to show mummy often with little presents left on the step :eek:
anyhooo I decided to treat the outdoor cat and not Lucy or Bailey in the hope that it will work (fingers crossed) I know also that Avon's skin so soft is a flee deterent
maybe do a small test patch first to see if she reacts..... I've ordered some cos I like to use it myself :)

OP
karenben

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
thats a thought angie,im still going to use frontline on my moggy as it doesnt effect her but will keep her away from annie for a couple of days after ive used it,karen

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
do not feel bad because it happens. I use fronline with no problems on my bully but I washed her in some shampoo for her skin and I almost lost her. She had hives all over her body and swelled up and couldnt breath well. One 2am trip to emerg vet and not much change 2 more benadryl on their advice and still not laying down and sleeping. One trip to the reg vet in the morning and another shot to get her ok again. So it can happen to anyone so dont feel bad. Its the reason when i find something that works on sarah i stick with it. Shampoo flea meds food whatever. I dont change for any reason unless I have to. So dont feel like your awful mother. You do the best you can for your bully and learn along the way.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
I hope she is doing better. I would recomend that you do research about hollistic alternatives before you begin giving garlic to her. Keep benadryl handing at all times. I didnt know about the benadryl until I became a member here. It is something that should be in every first aid kit for dogs.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.