When it's not a food allergy after all...

ILuvHudson

Jan 19, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hudson
Hi Everyone!

I'm hoping this will help someone else, because this is not what we expected!
Hudson has been having a ton of skin problems. We're not really surprised, he is all bully! He's 10 months old and he has had 3 courses of antibiotics to clear up his skin. We've only changed food 3 times, which is not too bad, once each time he was in antibiotics.
Our bulldog club's president said we HAD to see Dr. London at our local practice, and I'm glad we did.

Hudson has an IMMUNE DEFICIENCY of his skin. (Yeah, only my bully.) Immunodeficiency is actually a special interest of mine, so I'll try to keep this simple:
EVERYONE has the bacteria staph on their skin, including pups. Normally this is no big deal, and our body can fight it off, also including pups, but Hudson's immune system does not.
I took some pictures in hopes that they'd also be helpful. One of them includes his skin scraping for mange (which was negative). It's one of the best I've seen done, and I wanted to brag about our vet's office.

Feel free to message me if you want more details. I'd be happy to talk to anyone about it. It's going to be a journey!

This pic is the one with the scraping. It's in the circular area that's more red. This is only about an hour after the scraping was done. You can really see where the skin has gotten black in some areas and another scabbed lesion:
DSC01173.jpg

Here's a side shot. He's covered in these scab/bald spots.
DSC01177.jpg

And lastly, here's the infection around his groin (sorry if it looks graphic...I tried to cut out his boy parts!)
DSC01180.jpg

So, that's staph. Who knew?
At least he can eat anything now! ;)

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Poor Hudson, and I understand completely, I also have the same thing, Psorasis, so is his like that? it looks the same?, I have AIDS, not aids, but Auto Immune Dificiency of the skin. I produce to many skin cells, that looks like red or white patches on my skin. It flakes and it itches. It is NOT contagious, it is just embarrassing and makes me miserable. Is he on a steroid cream?

OP
ILuvHudson

ILuvHudson

Jan 19, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hudson
Not yet at this point. Our vet is trying an antibiotic to get the current infection under control, then an addition to his shampooing (it's similar to a sterile prep they'd use in the operating room), and an antibiotic spray twice a week. He said he has other ideas, but wants to start simple.
I'm sorry you have psoriasis. That's a crappy skin problem to have! I hope we learn more about auto immune stuff in the future so we can fix stuff like that.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would think that diet, oils and supplements would help build immunity? He may not be allergic to his food, but diet can play a very important role in a healthy immune system. I cannot believe how adorable Hudson is-- I hope you can find him some relief somehow. I know some people who have had major allergy issues and skin conditions with their bullies found relief with raw diet. it's not for everyone, but it may be worth a try.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Wow how lucky that you went to a vet who recognizes what the problem is! :up: Too bad it just seems to be very uncomfortable for the poor thing. Like desertsky said I do think diff foods may help build his immune system naturally, just like in people. I couldnt say which one or what ingredients to try but you may want to look it up and see what you find. You will be able to help others in the future who come across similar problems tho that is good. (In a awful way) Hudson surely is a looker tho! :luv:

OP
ILuvHudson

ILuvHudson

Jan 19, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hudson
Thanks guys. We do have him on a much better food than when we started. We had him originally on Eukanuba. Then we switched him to Wellness Core, then we switched to the seafood version. We think he liked and tolerated the original core better. It's still a great food, we just don't have to avoid chicken and turkey like it's the devil anymore. Trust me, I didn't see this as a way to get out of feeding him "expensive" food. No grocery store food for my favorite bully!
And thanks for the recc. on the raw diet [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] We've been considering that just to control the amount of types of foods that are in his food. Just like with his treats, which we try to get him treats that are just one or two natural ingredients. This will certainly be a journey for me and [MENTION=2030]HuddysBuddy[/MENTION]!
Thanks for the compliments...we tend to think he's a super handsome bully too!!!!

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
I can relate! Layla has the same issue. When she came to us her hips and back were half bald (her hair would peel off) it was so gross and she had the sores on her tummy and chest too. Its so frustrating because "they just appear" Luckily the hair grows back :up: My Vet is great about filling antibiotics without visits for her and I also use an otc cream to help them heal. She eats NVI salmon with a daily multi vitamin and she does much better than before...but it still happens :down:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.