Dozer was playing outside now panting A LOT

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Its about 60 or 65 ( im wearing a jacket) here and overcast with a nice breeze. Dozer was outside playing catch with the kids for a while. He started panting so I brought him in made sure he drank water ( he also has water outside) and I'm having him lay on the cool floor. He has been panting for about 10 minutes. Not severely but I am a little concerned. Is this ok?

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I agree. Panting is okay...just make sure he's breathing with out gasping. Panting is their way of cooling off...since they don't sweat. Another way to help...if it concerns you. Run a cold bath. Inch or two of water. Put him in it to wet his pads. That will also help him cool off quickly.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
when annie plays hard and starts to over heat i put a cold jug of water down her back,does the trick,as bullys can over heat and collapse i always keep water handy,i had a bully many years ago who cswilling in cold water she was fine,though it is scarey if this happens.karenollapsed out cold ,after a

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
sorry about my earlier post ,i cant even understand it myself:confused:seems my laptop is misbehaving,i meant to put when a bulldog i had years ago collapsed out cold i drenched her with cold water she soon came round and was fine,karen

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Yeah normal so long as you dont see signs of exhaustion. My boys pants when he gets excited, heat doesnt always cause it. In fact it doesnt take much to get him panting. haha. Just make him take breaks here and there.

Suzy2

Apr 24, 2011
Accrington Northern England
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter & Winston
Think most bulldogs pant when they play hard or get over excited. If he seems hot then cool his feet in water, or a damp tea towel over his back. Sometimes they can also get a bit phlegmy and a squirt of jif lemon juice will break it down.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Gator pants when he is over excited as well. I don't think the heat has much to do with it most of the time for him since it is still very cool here.

It is probably normal if you feel he isn't over heated...just help him calm himself and that should stop it.

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Thanks everyone. He did eventually stop panting so I guess he is ok. I tend to worry a lot ( maybe to much) I have never had a bulldog in warm weather.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
HRH pants when she's excited, and also when she's nervous, and scared. I can only mimic the advice above. Offer water. She eventually stops when she's settled down.

NJBullyMommy

Apr 20, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (Bruty, Bru Bru, Brutus Maximus)
Thanks everyone. He did eventually stop panting so I guess he is ok. I tend to worry a lot ( maybe to much) I have never had a bulldog in warm weather.

That was me last summer! In 95 degree weather we literally went outside only for him to do his business and then it's right back inside where the nice cool air was. He could play inside all he wanted and run around like a maniac lol. I do agree that cold water on their back helps A LOT! Brutus loves it and it helps them regulate body temps :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
You can also get a spray bottle and mist them with it, it helps cool them faster. It is a good idea to have one with you when you are at a park or at the vet too!

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Thanks I will keep both all of those suggestions in mind. I am also thinking about getting him a keep cool collar . Anyone tried those?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.