My Bubba is a pig!

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Well, not literally of course! He is almost 15 wks old and is growing sooo fast! He eats 2-3 times/day....almost 4 cups/day. Is this too much? My vet said his weight is fine but he seems to heavy for me. He weighs 32 lbs already! My vet also said you should feed him what he wants to eat but he would eat much more if I let him! His paws are huge and he will probably end of being on the larger side of the breed, but, I'm not sure what to do. He is healthy and active. Any thoughts? I don't want to jeapordize his health by doing the wrong thing. THanks!

mamamia

Apr 5, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Snooki (EB) and Big Mac (OEB)
My Snooki is the same age as Bubba. However she is female and that could make a big difference I guess. Snooki weighs 22.5 lbs. According to my vet, that is a perfect weight for her build.
In regards to feeding, it would matter what brand name you feed.
Our pup is very active. She gets 3 cups per day divided over 3 meals. I feed Fromm 4 star. If I would let Snooki eat as much as she wants... :LMAO:

Rosiesmom

Apr 3, 2011
Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie aka Rosebud, Rosie Posie
That seems like alot of food, but if the vet is okay with his weight then I wouldn't worry. My Rosie is a big bully, almost 70#. Sure she could stand to loose a few pounds (then again, I could too!) but she really is a big bully-her chest is massive! You say is he active and healthy so I wouldn't think twice about it. He's only 15 weeks old, I don't think there's such a thing as a fat puppy. Once he hits the one year mark I would reassess his weight. You can always cut back on his food once he hits that magic age, but puppies need extra fuel for their engines!
And yes, pics would be helpful (we just love looking at pictures!)

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Dozer was the same way. He ate about 4 cups total a day and weighed quite a bit. Make sure he has a waist and if so your doing good. He is 6 months old and gains a pound about every 3 days he is now at 50 lbs, but not at all fat. We just had him at the vet and he told us that D looks perfect.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Gator was the same way. He ate quite a bit and was pretty large. He is a great weight and you can tell by his slim waist and his energy level being high. If the vet thinks he looks fine then I wouldn't worry!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=2308]bubbaisapig[/MENTION] I've moved your thread to bulldog health because I think it will get more attention here than the original thread it was in. First of all .... yes pics would be great if possible because bulldogs come in all shapes and sizes.

Four cups a day is more than I fed Daddy at 15 weeks and he was a big bully, but again I wonder what food you've currently got him on. Basically, the better the food the less you have to give. Some of the cheaper foods have a lot of fillers in which means you feed them more and get through the bag quicker! Therefore more $$$$$$$$$$'s!!!

If you stand above your bully and look down on his back, can you see a defined waist??

Would love to see those pics and find out about the food .. I think it would help you get a lot of feedback.\

In the meantime, a big welcome to you and Bubba!!! Hope to see you here often!! :welcome:

NJBullyMommy

Apr 20, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (Bruty, Bru Bru, Brutus Maximus)
Dozer was the same way. He ate about 4 cups total a day and weighed quite a bit. Make sure he has a waist and if so your doing good. He is 6 months old and gains a pound about every 3 days he is now at 50 lbs, but not at all fat. We just had him at the vet and he told us that D looks perfect.

My Brutus was the same way. He is now 13 months and 70 pounds of pure muscle. He's very active, runs all over the place and is just on the larger side of the breed. His chest is massive as well as his paws. I wouldn't worry for now, he's a growing puppy he needs the nutrients ;)

OP
bubbaisapig

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Thanks everyone for the replies. I am new to this sight and I didn't realize how to get to replies...I actually didn't think I had any! Bubba is now 6 months old and weighs 54 pounds. I will posts pics, after I write this I promise. I cut his food (california natural Lamb and rice) back to feeding him twice a day and he consumes maybe 3 1/2 cups total. I do have another problem someone hopefully can help with. I will also post a separate thread. He has a cold 1 1/2 mo ago. Took him to vet..on antibiotics for a week and it went away. 2 wks later..it came back. Has been on antibiotics again for 2 wks (clavamax-i think). He still is snotty (whitish and sometimes a tint of yellow). Not sure what to do. Vet told me to wait the weekend and if not better, call him then. Should I change antibiotics? Not sure what to do. He is otherwise happy, healthy, playful, and doesn't have any fever.

Angievelvet

May 28, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
violet elizabeth
Violet is 16wks and 22.5. For dinner I give her a cup of food mixed with greenbeans and cottage cheese she loves it and it satisfies her maybe try that :)

Sent from my HUAWEI-M860 using Tapatalk

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I don't know how I originally missed this but :welcome: to EBN. We'd all love to see pix,,, LOTS of pix.. LOL :D

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Perhaps it's an upper respiratory infection caused by seasonal allergies. Try asking your vet about that possibility.

OP
bubbaisapig

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Thank you for moving my post! This sight is pretty confusing to get around. I'm sure i'll get used to it. I have added pics to a couple of albums and made a pic my profile pic but it still doesn't come up on my threads? How do i put a picture where the other info about me and Bubba is?

OP
bubbaisapig

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
THanks for your thoughts. My vet said it wasn't an upper respiratory infection. He never has had a fever, lungs sound fine, and no other symptoms. I thought about it being allergies. I tried benedryl for a day or so but didn't seem to help much. Maybe I should try it for a little longer?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes.. give the benedryl a week or so, to see if it begins to help... remember they don't go away just lessens. Both my pups have allergies to everything green... sneezing, watery eyes, runny noses... the whole package. we do 50mg twice a day.... and they are each at 60 lbs.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online