Heartworm Season

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Soo.. its heartworm season now... it seems as thought the vet charges up the a** for heartworm preventative. I know walmart used to sell some i was just curious... is it any good or waste of money?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
@ mbuxx..Jake uses revolution for fleas and heart worm. He had to have a 15 minute blood test..to make sure he didn't have it already..and then the company that makes revolution guarantees their product. You have to keep it on them..but the blood test was like $ 20 and a month of revolution is $19..cheaper if you buy 6 months at a time. We don't have heart worm here..but it is in the mountain area where we have a place.

OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] ... omg...you have a place in the mountains.. i thought that was just a vaca you guys went on haha. THats pretty cool!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] ... omg...you have a place in the mountains.. i thought that was just a vaca you guys went on haha. THats pretty cool!

Lol...well it's a tiny place..2 bed 2 bath..but its really fun place to go. About 1 1/2 miles from lake..I don't much care for going in winter..had enough of that stuff growing up in Montana! But our kids love it..they snowboard and so it gets used! Just don't be thinking it's a big fancy place..not us. Always have to take kids and dogs..no stress if someone spills or poops!! Your ghost story scared me :eek:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas is on HeartGaurd Plus, I pay $42.00 for a 6 month supply, he is on them all year round living here in Florida. We has mosquitoes all year long, it never gets cold enough to kill them off. I also have a pond in my backyard. I don't know if the Wal-Mart brand would be as effective as the Rx ones???? I see our vet enough for his glands it is just as easy to pick them up there.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Here the cheap Walmart product is made by Hartz. I have been warned against using that by our vet. Seems there have been loses in the past relating to it. True or not I don't know but I threw out what I had bought before using it.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Here the cheap Walmart product is made by Hartz. I have been warned against using that by our vet. Seems there have been loses in the past relating to it. True or not I don't know but I threw out what I had bought before using it.

I read about the hartz problem too [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION]..I couldn't remember if it was flea stuff or what..but dogs and cats have died from the over the counter stuff.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I had a cat that almost died from OTC so I will never go that route again. Have you looked on Petmeds.com or DrsFoster online? You can get the meds the vet has if you have a prescription and it is a lot cheaper.

goobers mom

Mar 5, 2011
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Goober, (R.I.P), Carlie(R.I.P.) , Chaps, Glory B, Blis, Kimber, April, and Brenna (RIP) Wendi, Joy,
Are you sure it wasnt the flea product that you saw at Walmart, its against the law to sell Heartworm preventive without a vet prescription, I know Heartgard plus totally guarantees their product that if you buy at least 6mo. worth and give it every 30days and your animal still contracts heartworm they will give you a full refund and pay to have your animal treated. The Heartgard plus rep. just came to our clinic last week and told us of this guarantee.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I thought you always had to have a prescription too from your vet before you can buy the heartworm stuff from anywhere else.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.