FREAKING OUT

RoxiBear

Jan 12, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxi Bear
Ok, so for the last 2 1/2 weeks Roxi has been making this really weird noise. It sounds like she is trying to clear her throat or "hock a lugie" (sp) as my boyfriend likes to say. She will do this for about a minute and then throw up and then go back to making that horrid noise again for about 5-10 min.

Two weeks ago I rushed her to the vet when she started doing it. I was given some Temaril P and told it was allergy related. She took 2 pills 2 times a day for 5 days. This seemed to help but she peed all of the time! As soon as she finished that I began giving her benadry as directed by the vet.

So for the last week and a half she hasn't really made the noise or thrown up. But she just STARTED DOING it AGAIN!
I call and got her an appointment for tomorrow but I'm so worried about her.

Has this happened to any of you? Any suggestions?

Thank you!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
No help here I havent dealt with it but I am sure somebody can help you. How scary and frustrating I am sure.

L

Lucy-licious

Has Roxie Bear had anything different to eat today or been in contact with anything different that may have triggered a reaction??
I'd personally give her some more benadryl, a squirt of lemon juice to the back of her throat to shift any build up of phlegm and an ice cube could help with any possible swelling, keep her calm and cool xxx

NJBullyMommy

Apr 20, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (Bruty, Bru Bru, Brutus Maximus)
Does it seem to happen after she runs around a lot? My Brutus makes that noise when he gets overly excited and runs around, proceeds to cough up phelgm and then is fine. If this is the case they did recommend benedryl which helped to an extent, but if it ever gets to the point where it looks like they cant breathe they suggested using squeezable lemon juice down their throat to break up all the congestion. I've only had to ever do that once and it did work even if I had a spiteful bully for an hour after lol.

NJBullyMommy

Apr 20, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (Bruty, Bru Bru, Brutus Maximus)
PS sugar free lime ice pops helped as well and it wasnt as harsh as the concetrated lemon juice...that was a tip from a vet friend :)

bjsfarm

Jan 12, 2011
Narvon PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Butter Cup, Ellie, Double D & CJ. Jr., Max, Doc & Willie
Maybe a longated palate? But no... it would not have gone away with meds....
a small amount of lemon juice cuts flem if she has any.

L

Lucy-licious

PS sugar free lime ice pops helped as well and it wasnt as harsh as the concetrated lemon juice...that was a tip from a vet friend :)

Oooooh great idea I'm gonna make lime juice ice-cubes for Lucy as a just in case :up: especially with hot weather coming :)

Suzy2

Apr 24, 2011
Accrington Northern England
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter & Winston
Dexter sometimes gets very phelmy, when he's over excited. I give him a squirt of jif lemon to break it down, works a treat. Always carry one when we go for walks. I believe a drink of lemonade (seven up etc) can also work.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Would you be able to take a video of it? When I was reading your post, in my head came up kennel cough or even the reverse cough. Does she have trouble breathing sometimes? And what does she throw up, bile, phlegm, etc?

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Would you be able to take a video of it? When I was reading your post, in my head came up kennel cough or even the reverse cough. Does she have trouble breathing sometimes? And what does she throw up, bile, phlegm, etc?

I thought reverse sneeze but does that make them throw up? Lucy does it now and again but never throws up with that.

OP
RoxiBear

RoxiBear

Jan 12, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxi Bear
[MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious![/MENTION] No nothing new- this has been happening for about 2.5 weeks now.

[MENTION=2251]NJBullyMommy[/MENTION] It happens anytime. Like today, she did it when she was just laying down. It started suddenly. I've tried the lemon/ lime thing but it doesn't help.

[MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] I will video her next time she does it and post it on this thread. Yes, it seems like she has trouble breathing. When she spits up it is frothy bile/ food.

Last edited by a moderator:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I found out recently that HRH seems to like some lemon juice added to her water. I've done that a few times just because she seems to enjoy it and it gets her to drink more water.

Perhaps it would help in this case with Roxi too.?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Kinda sounds like reverse sneezing, but yes usually this does not get followed up with :barf:....., but sometimes it can happen. Here is a video of a reverse sneeze, a really bad one. Is it like this?

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
Tubs coughs like that once in a while, but he only does it once and he is good. When he was little I asked the vet and she said that bulldogs have such big mouths and sometimes they get something stuck in there and the hock a lugie to clear their throats. I am not sure when she would continue coughing and then end up throwing up. I haven't experienced that with Tubs. But the lugie hocking is daily only once or twice a day though.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online