cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
On Tate's first night home with me, when he was 8wks old, he also started to do pretty much what you describe Roxie doing--he made a gagging sound, like he wanted to cough up something. Sometimes he'd just make that gagging noise and not cough anything out, other times he would cough up clear phlegm. It went on maybe every 15min that first night with me and then happened again the next day for about 1/2 day, then stopped. I asked the vet the next day what he thought and he said it was likely "an upset stomach"; in Tate's case, most likely d/t stress of coming to a new environment. It worried me too but fortunately, self resolved.

Has Roxie experienced anything new stressor in her life? like a new enviornment, or a change of some kind? also, she may have indigestion so maybe give her a bland diet for now. I'm glad you're seeing the vet tomorrow and hope he will find the solution.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
years ago we went hiking with our Springer Spaniel (Gordon), from that evening on he would snort almost if like trying to suck in a luggy and then would clear his throat. Also he would sneeze a lot. especially after the snorting tantrum. This went on for days and finally a vet figured it all out. He put a light up his nose and found a very small stick stuck in his sinus. All we can figure is while hiking he sniffed it up (Springers tend to smell everything while walking) Once the vet was able to remove it, the look of relief was all over Gordon's face and he didn't have an episode again.

Just a thought.....maybe stuffing or a piece of food especially if Roxi eats fast.

DeeDee

Feb 19, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Busters
Is it at all possible that she has a cleft palate? Busters has a cleft palate and he does that when food gets up into the roof of his mouth and into his lungs. Does food/water come out her nose? I'm sure this isn't what it is, but something to look at if you don't know!

OP
RoxiBear

RoxiBear

Jan 12, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxi Bear
Ok, we just got back from the vet. Her temp was good, breathing was good, but her throat was SUPER red!
Doc said she thinks she may have gotten a tonsil infection due excess draining caused by allergies. Also, the doc
said her throat is most likely scratchy (like when we have sinus drainage) which causes her to try to clear her throat.
This could lead to gagging...and then spitting up.

We were given an antibiotic to help with the infection. She is still supoosed to take her benadryl twice a day.
If she isn't coughing in a week and a half the doc said she was on the road to recovery and we would just have to come
in for a re-check.

Thank you all for your kind words and help!

L

Lucy-licious

I hope those antibiotics kick in soon and help her feel better.
Do you have any idea what she is allergic too?
If the allergies are causing these problems it would be best to try and figure them out and eliminate them if possible xx

OP
RoxiBear

RoxiBear

Jan 12, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxi Bear
We believe they are seasonal allergies... She was fine in the Fall and Winter
but now that all of the plants are in bloom this started happening. We are definitely
going to keep an eye on how she is from day to day in relation to the pollen and mold counts.
If need be, she will be tested.

Members online

No members online now.