eating dirt?

korikelly

Apr 21, 2011
Oregon
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Hi, I'm new here, this is my first question. Any idea why my 3 month old Lola would enjoy eating dirt? Given, she'll gobble up just about anything, but last night she kept going back to the garden boxes to eat the dirt. Anyone else had this experience, and is it harmful?

Thanks!

FridayGt

Jan 22, 2011
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie
I would say your garden boxes more than likely aren't just plain dirt. They probably have mulch, fertilizer and some top soil mixed in which piques her taste/ scent interest more than the normal yard fare. If your garden has been sprayed at all for weeds or insects, I would keep her out.

giasmom

Feb 2, 2011
yes, and I've heard that cocoa mulch is very very bAD for dogs! Mine wants to eat grass...... :(

OP
korikelly

korikelly

Apr 21, 2011
Oregon
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Luckily, the soil isn't chemically treated, just soil and compost. I'm thinking there is more fencing in my future! She eats grass as well! Sometimes she rips out big chunks!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Living in Florida half my back yard is sand, Vegas does it for pure mean-ness, he will do his business then grab a mouthful of sand before we come in, he has done this for almost 2 years and still will do it. It has not killed him yet, but I get sooo mad at him!! He comes in and gets a drink and the bottom of his water bowl is pure mud. :angry: I don't know about garden box dirt, it probably is treated. I would love to give you advice on how to get her to stop, but mine is 2 and will still grab an occasional bite of sand.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Welcome [MENTION=2258]korikelly[/MENTION]. Maybe it is just puppy behavior, but it is something to mention to your vet. The thing about Bulldogs is that they are always hungry. Almost 8 year old Mack never ate grass until we got now 4 year old Ruggles who ate grass so they both graze now. And poop, not their own, but deer and horse top their favorites list. Most of the places we walk people ride their horses so I have to always look ahead. Ruggles will usually respond to "leave it" but Mack won't so I have to fish the "road apple" out of his mouth. Back to dirt--neither one eats dirt, probably not enough flavor for them!

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
[MENTION=1612]Alice Kable[/MENTION]..better you than me....yuck! :)

My little man seems to like dandelions! He does well with "leave it" if he is on a leash!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.