Dixie's skin condition

teryf

Jan 23, 2011
Warren County, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Dixie
Hi folks,

For all of you who have been reading my posts about my poor baby and her skin condition. I finally managed to take some pictures of what her skin and face look like. I went to Petsmart this evening with my girl to see possibly about a food change. Ran into the manager who had a bully who just recently passed away at the age of 14 (wow..) and a pet trainer who has a bully as well. Dixie immediately started wiggling her behind, she was so excited to meet new friends. I showed them what her skin looked like, her face and her ears. Questions about diet were brought up. Both agreed that totw was a good food. I told them that Dixie has been on this food for two weeks and back to the reason why I had stopped feeding her totw, very swollen eyes and lots of mucus. I had her on Natural Balance limited ingredient formula, sweet potato & venison formula. Noticed hair on paws that had one time been swollen and licked hairless was growing back and her swelling had gone down. Eyes were not swollen or had mucus coming out of them. Had switched her from it because she had yeast in her wrinkles and ears. The ears were swollen really bad too.

Sorry this so long.... After talking to them some more, it dawned on me something that the one mentioned. Moisture! Mold! It's been an awfully wet winter here in NJ. Dixie sleeps in a dog bed that even though I wash religiously, I always think the thing is not clean enough. The poor dog has been laying on wet spots, due to her paw licking and this wetness trapped underneathe her.

I attached pictures of what her skin & face look like.

Hope you all a wonderful Easter with your families,
Tery

Attachments

• dixie 209.jpg
    dixie 209.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 156
  • dixie 208.jpg
    dixie 208.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 144
  • dixie 207.jpg
    dixie 207.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 157

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
What a great observation! Are you going to get her a new one, or rethink the whole squishy bed thing. Weird that you posted this because the vet I saw on Saturday with Gator asked about his bed (acne issues) and said the best is just clean sheets.

RockosDad

Mar 8, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocko
The balding spots look like it could be from mange, get a skin scrape done, the sooner the better, Rocko has a little bit of mange and it just looked like a few bald spots

Connie03062

Mar 24, 2010
Nashua, NH
Bulldog(s) Names
Ziggy & Cayenne & Midas
I'll share with everyone what I use as a dog bed for my bullies...the breeder I got my 3 from uses this. I bought a baby crib mattress....it's waterproof and easy to clean. I just put a new crib sheet and blanket on it each day...

If they have an accident or barf on it I just wipe it clean and put a new sheet on it....very helpful with bulldogs...

Connie

OP
teryf

teryf

Jan 23, 2011
Warren County, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Dixie
Hi, just had Dixie checked for mange. She is clear of mange thank God. Off to petsmart. Food change in order...

Tery

OP
teryf

teryf

Jan 23, 2011
Warren County, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Dixie
Hi everyone,

Took Dixie to vet this morning. Had scrapings done to check for, my girl is clear.

We talked about thyroid & allergy testing. Unfortunately, our family has been hit hard by the economy. So, testing will have to wait. We also discussed diet. Now I know some of you are going to cringe. I've had Dixie on taste of the wild and switched to Natural Balance LID sweet potato & venison. No biscuits at all. As a treat I introduced sweet potato rawhide.

Before the rawhide, I've been battling these scabs on her sides, constant itching and terrible eye boogers. This weekend was finally when I broke down crying holding my smelly girl who couldn't even open her eyes because they were so swollen. After doing much research & introducing the sweet potato treat the very and I both decided definite food change. I can't afford raw and most of the other recommended foods have potato which we think may be a culprit to my girl's condition.

I stayed with Natural Balance LID, but now I chose lamb meal with brown rice. Hoping this helps her even though it isn't grain free. I got her at six months of age and she was eating Royal Canin. At the time she was healthy. I switched due to loose stools which originally stemmed from giardhea (?). French bulldog breeder recommended taste of the wild. This is a learning experience for me since Dixie is my first bully.

Sorry for such a long posting. Hope I didn't put anyone to sleep. And yes, got antibiotic, steroids and ointment for the corneal abrasions she gave herself scratching her face

Tery

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=1757]teryf[/MENTION]..please don't feel bad..I, personally like natural balance and think it works well for lots and lots of bullies. We do the best we can and there's no room for guilt. You love her and I bet she will do fine on her new food. My Jake has been on natural balance since he came home with us and we weaned him off puppy iams. He is on the ultra classic formula and until a couple weeks ago has been thriving on it. I think he might be sensitive to chicken and am going to try a new food. If it doesn't work I will go back to natural balance..no problem. Hope Dixie does great.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I agree with Becky 100%. DON'T beat yourself up over it. I know you are frustrated and feel like you are banging your head against the wall some days :bang: but you are doing your best and you obviously are trying to figure out what is going on so you can fix it. Just keep on doing what you are doing. I am sure you will eventually figure it out and she will be very happy. :hug2:

jortiz9758

Aug 22, 2010
Pembroke Pines Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
Bruno had the same thing for quite some time. ( Pictures around here somewhere) It would get better and then come back . He had those raw zits on his face and little bumps with missing hair all over.
I ruled out Mange. I tried several foods and finally went R.A.W. Problem went away right away. It was such a drastic change.
Feeding RAW is some work but it was the absolute best thing I did.

jortiz9758

Aug 22, 2010
Pembroke Pines Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
Here is a pic I found of what he had all over his face.. And what his face looks like now.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1303783541.984282.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1303783541.984282.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 134
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1303783562.901039.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1303783562.901039.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 121
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1303783588.553776.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1303783588.553776.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 135
OP
teryf

teryf

Jan 23, 2011
Warren County, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Dixie
dixie's progress 001.jpgdixie's progress 010.jpgdixie's progress 006.jpg
Hi everyone,

Someone's feeling better... I can now see her beautiful expressive eyes. Had no problem feeding her new food since she isn't picky. She lost another 5lbs. also since we stopped giving her biscuits.

Her energy level was not existence yesterday, today she wants to be outside all the time, lol

Tery

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Good news! So glad she is doing better!