What are your strategies for keeping your bully cool in the summer?

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
After reading speechmom53's post about her bully getting too warm today and all of the talk about the Kool collar, I was wondering what everyone did to keep their bullies cool in the summer other than confining them to an AC'd house?

I thought about the baby pool and the Kool collar but what about a cooling vest?

Any thoughts/advice?

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I haven't heard about cooling vests. I know the collars are popular. So far this Spring we have had one day that the temp. got close to 60 degrees so I'm thinking that was Spring!!! When it does warm up we'll take the dogs on a walk in the morning before the sun gets over the mountains. We walk along a creek and the boys can always get a drink and cool off in the water.

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
We have already had some days here in KY that were in the 80's. I think it will be a very hot summer again. Last year it was high 90's. Plus, we plan to spend most of the summer in FL. I hate to confine him completely inside when we are having fun outside. I thought even a few short "romps" are better than none. Thank you very much!

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
We had an extremely hot summer here in Pennsylvania last year.. We would walk Duke early in the morning before the suns up OR late at night after the ground cools. Our electric bill was through the roof keeping the AC on all the time. I take a spray bottle with me on hot days and spray his under belly. I had red this keeps their body temperatures down. Other than that not sure what else we can do..

Duke doesn't mind he LOVES the AC! ha ha :lol:

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
Today was a surprise! We were at 80 degrees in no time. It was humid first thing this morning. We were not expecting this at all especially since we have had a lot of rain lately. Having him eat ice cubes seemed to help him cool down. I wish I could let him get in his pool, but we have 6 more days before he can get wet. :(

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Living in Florida I have no choice but to keep him in, it is already way to hot for him. He does have a baby pool and I will let him play about 15 min. during the day sometimes. If I need to take him for his anal glands or nails done, I start the car 10 min. before leaving with the air on full. Our walks change from walking to having my son bring his dog over a couple times a week for some indoor air-conditioned play time. Our electric bill is outragious between keeping it on for Vegas and me having hot-flashes from menopause I can't get it cool enough! Poor Joe walks around freezing while I am fanning myself! lol [MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] don't forget when you are here in Bradenton we will arrange a play-date for the boys.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I have to admit I'm a bit nervous about the hot weather we'll eventually get. It was only in the low 50's here today and it's almost June!

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Living in Florida I have no choice but to keep him in, it is already way to hot for him. He does have a baby pool and I will let him play about 15 min. during the day sometimes. If I need to take him for his anal glands or nails done, I start the car 10 min. before leaving with the air on full. Our walks change from walking to having my son bring his dog over a couple times a week for some indoor air-conditioned play time. Our electric bill is outragious between keeping it on for Vegas and me having hot-flashes from menopause I can't get it cool enough! Poor Joe walks around freezing while I am fanning myself! lol [MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] don't forget when you are here in Bradenton we will arrange a play-date for the boys.

I do think that the poor guy will be spending most of his time inside :(. I don't mind running the ac full blast. We do that anyway because I HATE being hot :cool: I suppose just 10 or 15 minutes at a time will be all for us too except at night after it has cooled.

I CAN'T WAIT to get to FL this summer. I am counting the days left for school so I can haul booty. I am thinking of spending most, if not all, summer down there. I thought we would hit Tampa, Cocoa Beach, Orlando, and the Keys. And of course, we will get our guys together to play while we are in Bradenton! Gator will love it :up: and I have to say, it will be fun to hang out with another bully nut :D Kentucky is ok....but FL is where my heart is.

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
!5 minutes only outside during the heat of the day. Thank god for my ice maker. I am pretty sure that will be used alot. Also, I need to go purchase a kiddie pool for the kids.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
It has reached 94 degrees here already a couple weeks ago..then into 60s..cloudy..drizzly..now this week Thursday and Friday back to 90s !! Spring!! We will have to walk early in the morning..but do worry about coyotes and worse mountain lions. Have had 3 dogs killed by mountain lions in the last few weeks on our street. And 2 were German shepards. They like to come out early ..before sunrise and at night. Yuck. We also have lots of black bears..but they just really want to swim in everyones pools and eat avocados. I do know they sell beds you fill with water and stays cool..imagine they are for outside but I will have to investigate them more seriously.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It is also important to have a fan blowing in the room they chill out in.

Especially for those who work during the day. If your AC goes out while you are at work a fan could save their life. I remember years ago there used to be an alarm that you could have with you at work and if the temp in your house drops to a certain degree it would go off foR you. I have yet to find this device again.

We also have a misting system on our back patio so during the summer they can still be outside for about 15-20 minutes at a time, but it gets blazing hot here. So I usually go out with them, just to be safe.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] - Great tip about the fans. I was thinking about the same scenario.

Also, to the bullies that go to daycare, make sure you ask them what their routine is for our sensitive babies. Stig is able to roam free and goes in and out of the building whenever he chooses for now, so I'm going to ask the owner to not let him out except to do his business during the hot summer months. I'm crossing my fingers she'll understand and follow my request.

FridayGt

Jan 22, 2011
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie
@desertskybulldogs - Great tip about the fans. I was thinking about the same scenario.

Also, to the bullies that go to daycare, make sure you ask them what their routine is for our sensitive babies. Stig is able to roam free and goes in and out of the building whenever he chooses for now, so I'm going to ask the owner to not let him out except to do his business during the hot summer months. I'm crossing my fingers she'll understand and follow my request.

I'm going to have to ask Biggie's daycare as well. They have had Bullies before, so I'm sure they'll understand. As it stands currently they are very good about watching him for breaks already, to the point where they'll tell us whether or not he needed a rest break today and how many when we pick him up. Hopefully your daycare is keeping a close look as well.

Last edited:

NJBullyMommy

Apr 20, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (Bruty, Bru Bru, Brutus Maximus)
Where can one purchase a Kool Collar? I have never heard of them before....we kept our Brutus mostly inside all last summer when temps were up in the high 90s. He also likes to chill out in a cold bath instead of going out in the hot air to the kiddy pool lol.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.