NEED HELP!

Roxanne Reyna

Feb 26, 2011
Merced, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
FAMOUS.. A.K.A. PIG
my baby famous has been itching on her rear and rubbing against the wall till her tail started bleeding.. i dont know what is causing this and what i can do to stop it every time it starts healing she rubs it again and makes it worse.. i feel really bad and i know it irratates her what should i put on it to make it stop itching..

OP
Roxanne Reyna

Roxanne Reyna

Feb 26, 2011
Merced, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
FAMOUS.. A.K.A. PIG
i dont think its the anal glands. the problem seemed to have started when she got fleas from the dog park.. i put frontline plus on her the fleas are gone but the itching hasnt stopped ill post a few pictures..

OP
Roxanne Reyna

Roxanne Reyna

Feb 26, 2011
Merced, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
FAMOUS.. A.K.A. PIG
IMGP2812.jpg

IMGP2813.jpg

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=1911]Roxanne Reyna[/MENTION]
OUCH!!! Most certainly NOT anal gland issues. You can give a benedryl for the itching, I give one to Vegas for his allergies and his itching. I would have that check out by the vet. Maybe put some Neosporin or some antibiotic cream on it until you can get there. But the pill will help with the itch.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Ohh.....definitely a trip to the vet on that one! Could be she had a pretty severe reaction to the flea bites. Might sound weird but my daughter swells up and itches for weeks after a flea gets her. I would put some antibiotic cream on that and get her to the vet. Not sure what is safe to put on it for a dog. I use an antihistamine cream on my daughter that the pediatrician gave us.

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION], I do the same as your daughter, for weeks I will still have a bump and itch, luckily I have not dealt with fleas for years. I think giving an internal antihistamine like benedryl would be better because if it was a cream even the antibiotic cream I know Vegas would rub it off.

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION], I do the same as your daughter, for weeks I will still have a bump and itch, luckily I have not dealt with fleas for years. I think giving an internal antihistamine like benedryl would be better because if it was a cream even the antibiotic cream I know Vegas would rub it off.

It stinks doesn't it? When she was younger, she would not stop scratching them for anything and they would get pretty nasty. We haven't had fleas on the dogs or in the house, but they had them on their playground at school. They had to spray that playground THREE TIMES for them to be gone! But kudos to the school for going through that process and keeping the kids out of certain areas until they were gone.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
OUCH ... yes I would get that to the vets as soon as you can. It's obviously bothering her!!

L

Lucy-licious

My old border collie Shep was allergic to flea bites, made a bad mess just like that
always resulted in a trip to the vet for a weeks course of antibiotics and steroid injection.
I tried a lot of self help type remedies but the Vets trip was all that worked.

Poor Famous it will be very irritating and sore :hug:

Terry

Jan 16, 2011
Central Valley, California
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubbles
That is not the anal glad I agree, I am concerned that it is a flea bite that has become infected. Any break in the skin can cause an opening for infection. From the pictures it's hard to tell if it is tense or swollen. If it progresses you will have a bad case of cellulitus. Benadryl orally will help the reaction the dose is based on your Bullies wt, it will not treat infection. I think the vet might be needed if it's not improved by Monday.

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I 100% agree with [MENTION=1722]Terry[/MENTION], and the benadryl is based on wt. Vegas weighs 63 and can actually take two, our vet said one for each 25 lbs. but I only give him one and it seems to help enough it is ONLY for the itching not infection. I think a vet visit is in order so that it does not get further infected IF it is infected.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
And make sure to check if it's a tail pocket issue. It may just be a coincidence....but reach under the tail and see if there is a pocket. It's kinda like an ear itch. Scratching the base of your ear doesn't help or scratching the back of it either. Only when you get inside can you relieve the itch...and boy does it feel good. I though my Vegas was having an anal gland issue.....so I took him to the vet. The vet told me that he had a real deep (and infected) tail pocket. When he put his finger in the pocket..I swear, I could see the relief on Vegas's face. And his little foot started tapping as he was cleaning it out.
Poor baby. I had no idea.

OP
Roxanne Reyna

Roxanne Reyna

Feb 26, 2011
Merced, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
FAMOUS.. A.K.A. PIG
its starting to heal i just got to keep a very close eye on her so she doesnt scratch the scab and reopen the wound.. thanks for all the advice.. any suggestions on what kind of flea medicine to use also.. i use frontline plus which is supposed to last at least a month.. but by the 2nd week shes getting fleas again.. i really dont want to stop taking her to the dog park she absolutly love it there..

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
I was using Advantage Multi and it worked well. Fleas are horrible in FL and Lucy never did have fleas.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.